Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

"Top percentage" dealers vs. "Registry" dealers...

What's the difference between dealers applying "multiple" prices to high grade toned monster rarities vs. high grade registry rarities?
ps. ...and why do they argue so much? image

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What the market will bare, my brother, what the market will bare.

peacockcoins

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or being a hypocrite by saying Brand X and Brand Y are basically the same but then you go to thier Web Site and the Identicle items have a $1100 spread. Hmmm...seem the same to me.

imageimage
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭
    lol, (brethren). image
  • Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    Steve:

I think high grade monster toned rarities are also registry rarities!! Buy the coin and the holder!

I agree on the PCGS/NGC issue. Dealers talk about the equality of the services, but their own prices (particularly buy prices) can be very different.

Greg
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fairlaneman raises an interesting point - if someone does believe brand X and brand y are essentially indentical products, but prices brand x at 2x brand y, then there are a couple possibilities:

1. brand x is really better quality than brand y despite the rhetoric;

2. the brand quality is the same on both, but the seller of brand x is trying to capitalize on the erroneous thinking of others who feel otherwise.

3. the seller of brand y is giving away value by selling the coin in the brand y holder at some fraction of the brand x price.

Not really sure if there are other possibilities, but, if I missed any, please suggest them image Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I see little difference between multiples for toned coins and multiples for grade rarity. Like braddick said, what the market will bear.

To wondercoin's question, a couple of other possibilities come to mind.

One coin could be technically graded and the other market graded.
    One coin could be low-end for the grade, and the other PQ.
    The seller had to pay more for one of the coins, meaning it would have a higher price when offered.

A seller could honestly believe two brands are comparable, but if the rest of the world values one over the other, that will certainly be reflected in the pricing both on the buying and selling sides.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because the first refers to a coin? What is a high grade registry rarity?
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.