Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grade vs. Color -- Need Advice

Okay I have a question for everyone not only fans of toning.

I picked up a 22-D PCGS MS63 toned Peace $ today @ Anaheim

I have this NGC MS-65 already.

The 65 is clearly a better strike and less marks. Luster is a little better on the 63. The reverse of the 63 is blast white, while the 65 has mottled toning like that seen on the obverse on the reverse as well.

What should I do? I like both, but for color the 63 is nicer. There's a big jump in registry points from a 63 to a 65.

Keep the more colorful coin or the better coin?

Michael

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In this case, I would go for the 65, since you mentioned it's for a Registry set. The 63 is certainly superior in eye appeal, but not by a big enough margin to offset the two grade points, IMHO.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    Why not keep both? A 22d in MS63 isn't that expensive is it? - that way you can have your cake and eat it too image
  • Options
    wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    Michael:
    You obviously love both coins, so keep both. I learned a long time ago that duplicates are ok, each coin is unique and has its own character. There is nothing wrong with doubles, in fact , I have three Merc sets and am pursuing a forth. I just completed my Peace dollars and am starting another set.
    The worst thing you can do is part with a coin that you are attached to.

Brian
  • Options
    DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭
    Keep the 65.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    When I have a 63 and a 65 and the 63 is more eye appealing but not by a great degree, I'll sell the 63 and keep the 65. But if the 63 is outstanding and the 65 is average, I'll keep the 63.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why not keep both? A 22d in MS63 isn't that expensive is it? - that way you can have your cake and eat it too >>

Probably the best advice. Keep the 65 registered, but enjoy the 63 for its own sake. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    In my own Morgan Reg Set I use the most colorful example but I'm low in the rankings. If anybody says anything about it I just click on the "Build Best Set" button and my blast whites and DMPLs kick in my points raise quite a bit. For some slots I have 3 coins registered.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dip them both and keep the one that comes out best? image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Well I guess I'll keep both. Thanks for advice, I knew the consensus would be to keep both, but I had to ask.

Thanks for helping me decide,

Michael
  • Options
    wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭
    I think you should keep the 65 and sell me the 63! image

WH
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good decision...remember coins are to enjoy and collect what you like (even if that means having some dups).

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Keep both...............Ken
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    Keep them both!!!!!!!!
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    of course keep both! but to be more helpful, I would have to ask why you want a 22-D, to look at or to profit from, do you derive more enjoyment from higher numbers or eye appeal (the 63 IMO has more), and do you consider the numbers on the slab accurate or off by point or half point? Is it for a registry, and do you care for the points? Also, how much did each cost, and how much do you think you can sell each for. Actually, you don't have to answer those for me, but for you, and that will help you make decisions such as this.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file