Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1971 OPC Hockey PSA Cards

I am looking to try and make a complete 1971 OPC Hockey PSA Graded set. If anyone has any for sale or any no graded singles that are in nice shape please let me know. I am constantly on Ebay looking but the same cards come up time after time with no real new ones.
Cheers,
Darren

Comments

• Options
    Thats a great set, albeit a very costly one. Probably the most loaded set from the 70's. I have a few from this set- Tim Horton #186 PSA 9, and a Jacques Plante All Star #256 PSA 9 (1 of 1 as of mid Feb.). Send me a pm if you are interested.

-Bill
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    i don't know of any good sources of graded '71-72s, but if you're not averse to submitting cards yourself, you might want to check out the ebay seller aarons. his grading is about as conservative as i've seen from any raw card dealer and he has at least some '71 opc cards running almost all of the time. i've been very pleased with the '68-69 opc stuff i've bought from him - including a rod gilbert that wound up a psa 9 - and a friend has done well with some '72-73 opc cards he bought from aarons.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I took a look at aarons' stuff.....you are right he seems to be very conservative in terms of grading. if you pulled a 9 on that Gilbert I think I might give raw cards a try. ive never submitted a card myself because i am a terrible grader, but i might give him a chance. Do you know of any other sellers with nice vintage stuff?

• Options
    i don't really know of any other consistently good sources of raw vintage hockey besides aarons. i've bought some nice '68 and '70 opc's from dugout2 before, but i haven't noticed many hockey listings from them since. outside of ebay, i've had decent luck with some '68s i bought from gerry chartrand (www.gerryssportscards.com, i believe), but he usually doesn't post scans of cards on his website and you'll pay a little more than you likely would on ebay, though that's probably true with any sportscard retailer. if i think if any others, i'll let you know.

by the way, bill, are you still interested in the '68 hall?
  • Options
    robstarrobstar Posts: 262
    Darren.

What grade are you looking to do this set in. I have approx 50 commons and semi-stars all well centered.
    Most would grade about a 7, maybe a few 8's if the grader of death is on hiatus.image

LMK..Rob...
    Collecting PSA Vintage Hockey
  • Options
    1970-71 OPC Terry Sawchuk Memorial Special # 231 SGC 92

my only one. see if you need it.
    i ain't often right
    but I've never been wrong
    it seldom turns out the way
    it does in the song
    once in a while
    you get shown the light
    in the strangest of places
    if you look at it right
  • Options
    I have 2 PSA 8's up on Ebay now, # 207 MacLeish and #152 Goring, they are under account Nuyauwka@aol.com
    If it's worth doing..It's worth overdoing!!
  • Options
    Thanks for all your insight. I have been looking on Ebay and have had some success. I am trying to getthis set in a PSa 8 or higher grade but know the difficulties behind this.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Darren,
    If you are close to Toronto you could go to the Canadian Sportscard Expo on April 25th, 26th and 27th. There will be a lot of 71-72's in raw form. There are a lot of dealers that sell stars and commons in NM and better condition from that set at 50% of Beckett in Canadian Dollars.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for all your insight. I have been looking on Ebay and have had some success. I am trying to getthis set in a PSa 8 or higher grade but know the difficulties behind this. >>

Darren.

Ever since I read this thread yesterday I have been thinking about this set. This was my first childhood set and every time I see these cards the memories instantly come back to me. I always keep raw examples around, some even in rough shape that I can handle and throw around if I wish.lol

I have often weighed the pro's and con's of grading this set. At this moment in time however it seems it would be more an act of passion than a sensible financial risk. If I had money to burn I would do it in a heartbeat. Seeing the few that come up on Ebay from time to time really gets my blood boiling but I always refrain. Here's why. Unlike early 70's baseball and even football for that matter, these early 70's hockey set's just don't seem to have enough serious players interested in graded set collecting. Yet!
    On the other hand this could be the time to get in on the ground floor and be a trailblazer for these 70's hockey sets.

Check out these numbers and you'll understand my aprehension.

71-72 OPC hockey POP report April 10 2003

The following figures are regardless of grade, just total examples graded.

Total cards graded for entire set = 1192
    Only 101 of the 264 cards in the set have a single example graded.
    44 of the 101 have a pop of 1
    15 of the 101 have a pop of 2
    Over half of the 101 have a pop of less than 3

#45 Dryden pop 117, #50 Hull pop 25, #100 Orr pop 40, #111 checklist pop 27 #133 Dionne pop 127,
    #148 Lafleur pop 173, #193 Sittler pop 23, #195 Plante pop 24, #245 Orr pop 63, #251 Orr pop 90
    #261 Hull pop 28, #262 Howe pop 125, #263 Beliveau pop 48, #264 Checklist pop 41.

These 14 cards comprise 5.3% of the 264 card set.
    These 14 cards total 951 of the 1192 graded examples, thats 79.78%.

So you see, in taking on this venture you would pretty much be on your own. There just isn't a large enough pool out there for me right now to take this on.

I hope you found these numbers I provided helpful. If you require any other pop info LMK, i'd be happy to help.

Rob...
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like finding raw nm/mt commons wouldn't be too tough then. Seems like a great time to start the set image

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    Albie

See you at the show at the end of April.

Rob...
  • Options
    Rob

Im getting ready to put 1971-72 OPC together . As soon as the next update hits im over 10%. I know full well that im going to have to do it with my own submissions (much like Yawie is doing his 68-69 OPC and Marc his 69-70 OPC)

Im really fussy on the centering on this set. I just turned down about 20 of those 1/1's because they werent centered

Randy

• Options

<< <i>Here's why. Unlike early 70's baseball and even football for that matter, these early 70's hockey set's just don't seem to have enough serious players interested in graded set collecting. Yet! >>

great post. i agree, putting together an entirely graded set of hockey (save for a few early topps and opc issues) would be impossible with so few collectors out there. im working on a 1979 topps set, and in the past year about 15 different cards have come up on ebay (i own around 13 diff.). that is the downside to collecting hockey, there is never enough graded material out there to satisfy me. on the other hand, psa 8 and 9 stars sell for next to nothing compared to the other major sports. i can pick up a psa 9 HOFer from the 1973 opc set (which ill compare to the '75 topps baseball set because of the colored borders) for around $50. now if this was a comparable baseball HOFer, it would go for 3x to 5x that amount. whether or not hockey ever catches up to the other sports remains to be seen. some of the earlier 50s and 60s cards have risen steadily, but they are still bargains in comparison.
  • Options
    Randy

I noticed that you had started this set. I wasn't sure how serious you we're about doing it in it's entirety, I guess now I know.
    Your right that the centering is the biggest issue with these cards, however it makes it rather easy to weed out the weak when leafing through binders of raw material.

A couple of interesting things I noticed when looking at the pop's

The #100 Orr, his main issue in the set has a total pop of 40. This is much lower than his other 2 subsidiary cards in the set. The #245 at 63 and the 251 a trophy card more than doubles it at 90. Could the Orr #100 have been SP'd? even the #264 checklist has a higher pop at 41.
    Also suprised that the #45 Dryden RC easily one of the most recognizable hockey cards of the 70's if not the entire hockey hobby has a lower pop than the Howe, Dionne and Lafleur.

FYI- The Topp's version which has half the # of cards at 132 also has been lightly graded with many examples with 0 pop's

Numbers aside I simply love this set for all the strange anomolies within. I love the cards that have the players with the blank jersey's that I suppose had been traded, Bruce Gamble comes to mind. However my absolute favorite card in this set is the Rogie Vachon. This is the card where his headshot is superimposed on another players body which I beleive is Ross Lonsberry's. The card is a true classic. The Gump Worsely is a close second.

Somebody stop me, part of me is actually starting to consider this.image

Anyone else have a favorite card in this set? Let's keep this thread going.

Rob...
  • Options
    Rob

The first series is much tougher to find than the second series. Im not sure why . Thats why the Orr and Dryden are much more lightly graded than the others. Alot of the cards in the second series inluding alot of the 1/1's and 9's came from one guy who bought some wax boxes from a store in Toronto in the early 90's . He just got them graded starting last summer.

Ive got an ungraded set of these that are perfectly centered. Unfortunately i wasnt as corner conscience when i bought as i would of needed to be to grade it out. Im guessing mostly 7's with maybe 20% 8's

As for my favorite card Gilbert Perreault and although im not an Orr fanatic, the Card # 100 Orr is my favorite Orr card. Im regretting i got outbid on the 8 that was on ebay.

The other guy building the set on the registry is also a very committed collector as well.

Randy
  • Options
    that Vachon is CLASSIC. the cheese factor is off the charts.
  • Options
    Hey Guys:

I wish I could be in Toronto to go to the Card show. I am from Winnipeg Originally and have beeen to it once before. My biggest obsticle living here in Minneapolis is that Hock is seen as a second class citizen. When I do find 1971 cards the real nice ones are Topps and I refuse to collect them. I understand that this is going to be an adventure and going by the Population reports the odds are really stacked up against me. I have alomost completed my PSA 10 1990 OPC Premier set and only 15 cards away from that. Maybe I will auction it off to pay for some of this set. If any of you are intrested in selling any PSA 7 or above 1971 OPC cards let me know. If you have any ungraded singles that you HONESTLY feel are NRMT+ please email me and lets see what we can work out. My email address is styles_darren@hotmail.com. Once again thanks for all your insight.

Cheers.
  • Options
    jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    Hockey people live!!!!

Go Wings
  • Options
    Jerster

Your Redwings look like they have run into a hot goaltender. Did I hear correctly that the Wings had 63 shots on goal last night? WOW, and 1 goal to show for it.
    I know I'm dreamer but I'm hoping for a Leafs - Red wings final.

Sorry Yawie, however I like the icon change in support of your beloved Blue's. Good luck.

Rob...
  • Options
    man, last night was a dream! detroit falling at home to the ducks and the blues trouncing vancouver. perhaps my icon will be up longer than the five games i was expecting the blues to last. still, i shouldn't get my hopes up, as frustratingly early playoff exits are pretty much the norm here in st. louis. another one this year and the organization may give up on its high-payroll approach and on joel quenneville.
  • Options
    GR189- is this the Vachon card your talking about? I think Roggie's smile caused the hairline crease on this card that i missed. Anyone wants this card you can have it. (hope the pic worked)

Steve- Good to see you "bleeding blue" today. Keep the hope!

Could this be a good time to stock up on Giguere cards???

• Options
    scan didnt work. ive seen the card though, absolutely hilarious. there is nothing funnier than topps' cheesy airbrush jobs in the early 70s.

and yes the wings ran in to one helluva hot goalie. 65 saves last night it was incredible. GO WINGS!!!!
  • Options
    Put the pic on a attachment.
    BEN

• Options
    Yawie, I pity the Blues fan when the Detroit bus comes rolling up the street in St. Lewie.

We've had their number, now 'course we have to get past those pesky Ducks. Does anyone even watch hockey in Anaheim???????????????

Go Wings
  • Options
    Robstar-
    A Toronto/Wings Final would be SWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTT.

Original 6 final - bring it on!

Go Wings
  • Options
    jerster, you should pity us anyway: 24 straight playoff appearnces without a cup, let alone a trip to the finals. the success of detroit and, to a lesser extent, dallas in recent years just makes it worse.
  • Options
    ranchranch Posts: 341
    Toronto will never make it to the final, they will always suck! We have been cursed!! It doesn't matter who we obtain, in the end we always fail.

Flyers beat us 4 to 1 last night, what a joke! Our defense are garbage! The only person I can give credit to is probably Mogilny.
  • Options
    natetrooknatetrook Posts: 612 ✭✭✭
    I am about to break up a gorgeous 1971-72 OPC hockey set on E-Bay.
    This set is absolutely pristine, with most cards grading NMT/Mt or higher.
    Look for it soon. Username - Natetrook

LMK if anyone wants 1st crack at filling wantlists for this set.
    Many of these cards are PSA 7 & PSA 8 quality.

Nate
  • Options
    robstarrobstar Posts: 262
    Nate

Welcome to the boards and let me thank you for reviving one of my favorite threads of the year.

When you do list the cards on Ebay, let us know on the Vintage Sportscard Trading forum.

Thanks again and welcome

Rob...
  • Options
    Glad to hear that some of those 1971 OPC Singles are starting to show their faces. I am very intrested and sent you an email. EMail me at .Text
  • Options
    goodriddance189goodriddance189 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭
    dsl.listed.a.bunch.of.nice.8's.and.9's.today......this.set.is.hot,most.of.the.common.8's.are.going.for.around.$35-$40