Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1969s are on Fire...Again!

gemintgemint Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
Bid on several low and semi low population 69s tonight and did not win a single auction. image I placed pretty strong bids on a couple. It seems like the 69 set has hit a new peak after retreating a bit over the winter. The good news is there was a huge gap between the top 2 bidders and third place. With a little patience, I should be able to pick them up at a much lower price.

Comments

• Gemint,

I believe your patience will payoff and it may not be that long. I find some of the prices being paid are quite bizarre. We still have the whole summer to go through and some folks are firing as if there is some sort of deadline. Is there a cutoff date approaching for the 1969 set registry set of the year?

Ron
    Ron Sanders Jr.
  • Hey Guys ,

I have decided to join the 69 crowd (Decided I needed a small companion set to my 69 Topps Decal set)... I have always liked the set and have been doing some bargin shopping... I bid (or had snipes in on) a lot of 8's tonight and won only 3. image . But I have been picking up 8's for $7-9 over the last two weeks and I am currently #35 on the registry. I have also picked up about 15 raw cards that should be mostly 8's (although I will get a couple of 7's and with some luck a 9 or two). I agree Ron that patience is required here... Pick your battles but do not fight too many of them...
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the club. You should be fine as long as you aren't going after the low pop cards. Many of the commons and some stars have very high populations and can be had for a fraction of SMR. You should be able to build a good 50% plus of the set without having to overpay too much.

By the way, I have the following if you're interested:

#206 PSA 8 $7
    #549 PSA 8 $7
    #557 PSA 8 $7

Plus $1.50 for shipping. Let me know if you're interested.

Good luck with the set!
  • dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    LuxuryWines,

Welcome to the club! The '69ers are arguably the most passionate collectors on the Registry. It's a very challenging set and there are a lot of very hard to find cards. Good luck!

gemint,

I tried for the Hersherger PSA 8 last night and fell way short. Congrats TWINRON! It's a beauty.
  • StumpStump Posts: 927
    Won the freehan A.S. and the 464 Marshall in 8 but had to pay a premium. Down to 53 in 8 or better.

Dave
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • GEMINT- I have sent you an email through using EBAY.

Thanks,

Glen
  • Luxurywines - a big welcome as well. Pick your spots and you will be successful early as others have said.

Gemint- Your so right on this post. I have basically stayed on the sidelines on the low pop stuff. Its tenacious! I will wait till some of those Pops come up to grab some of the cards I need at reasonable rates. Think slow and steady.

RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Thanks Guys,

By he way a load of short print 8's just went up from Squeeze play on EBay last light ... Most with initial bids of $24.95.. Too rich for my blood (right now anyway....)
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Nice win on the PSA 10 '69 Schaal of gaspipes last night. You got me at the end, but I wasn't going any higher.

I ended up with the Gomez & Watson in PSA 10. I probably paid a little too much, but I figure with so many people jumping on the '69 bandwagon, the cards should hold their value even if more 10's are graded.

• jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    to anybody who's listening. is the ernie banks a tough card in nm mt 8?
    gemint whats the name of your 69 set?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Jackstraw - Ernie Banks is fairly common in PSA 8 grade and can often be found for SMR or a slight discount thereof. If your selling it will hold up but dont be overly optimistic; if your buying and your patient you should be able to buy a nice one for the right price.
    RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>to anybody who's listening. is the ernie banks a tough card in nm mt 8?
    gemint whats the name of your 69 set? >>

It's under "John Constantino" and is currently number 2, though I'll likely switch places with Dave Jacobs very shortly at the rate he's been gaining on me. image

I agree with Ray on the Banks PSA 8. There are currently 260 8 NQ's (minus resubmits) and 124 9 NQs graded. But there are always 1969 set collectors, Cubs team collectors, 500HR collectors and HOF collectors that will chase the card. You'll have no problem selling it if you price it right.