Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Jeff Gang: 1941 PR-68 up on eBay at $10k

FYI ... LINK ... looks very nice from a distance, but five figures worth?

Comments

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    1941 is a common year. Imagine the common seated half dollar you could get for that much money. Imagine what a common bust dollar would look like if you paid that much money for it. Not bashing nickels, just bashing prices for super grade coins, regardless of date/mint/denomination. I like to buy just before the hugh price jump.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    I saw the 2 pr68 nickles, and IMHO niether is a true 68

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For that matter, imagine the cool 19th Century pattern nickel you could get for $10k!! On the other hand, you could buy roughly the entire run of 1938-1942 PCGS-PR68 Jeffs for the cost of -1- 1910 Lincoln in PCGS-PR67 image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coulda, woulda, shoulda............

al h.image

1941 is a common year. Imagine the common seated half dollar you could get for that much money.

probably not the best of comparisons. while 1941 may be a common year for some things, there were only around 18K proof Jeffersons minted and the overall remaining coins average PR64-65. and don't forget, this coin hasn't sold for $10,000 yet and almost certainly won't. the seller coulda priced it for $3-$5K and he probably woulda had a quick sale. can anyone say "fishing expedition"----my reference to hanging a top-pop-as-yet-had-a-sale-to-base-price-on-coin-such-as-this-out-for-a-general-idea-look-see.

back to that common seated half dollar that was mentioned, maybe the reason you could get a really sweet one for $10K is because it's common, as you said. common enough to have survived the intervening years since mintage in a grade which could command that price. will a 1941 proof jefferson be found in the year 2075? maybe. will it be found in PR68 state of preservation? probably not. will the price, adjusted for inflation approach $10K in 2003 dollars. i doubt it. all that means someone shoulda bought the coin from dalonega in that March eBay auction way back in the good old days. ain't hindsight a wonderful thing??!!image
  • Options
    BNEBNE Posts: 772
    Is Dahlonega David Hall? This coin looks similar and is priced the same as his. At 3-5K, this coin WOULD be gone.image I can't criticize someone who would pay over nine large for it, but I am out at this price.

OT: I just bought the most fantastic '37-D 3-legger for my toned set of Buffalos yesterday. Came in a SEGS MS61 slab, and every single diagnostic is there -- uneven pointed beard, semicircle of lumps between the legs, skinny and motheaten rear legs, and slightly smaller bison overall, clear as a bell. Plus the coin is HEAVILY toned in thick eggplant, navy, dark green and gold, including the fields where the leg would have been -- which are flat as a pancake. This is the absolute ultimate 3-leg for the toned set of Buffs I am working on. List price: $1400 (only cost me $560, with turning in some upgrades). When it comes to relative value, I'd rather have this beauty of a coin, with exceptional eye-appeal (and a textbook example of the variety) than use the money as small percentage toward a one-point upgrade on a coin with virtually no "story" behind it. . . .

But that don't mean I won't be an idiot tomorrow, either.image
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But that don't mean I won't be an idiot tomorrow, either.

hey barry

ain't it funny how beautiful coins can bring out that "idiot" in us all?? picture please!!

al h.image
  • Options
    BNEBNE Posts: 772
    I wish I could, Al! I lack the proper photography equipment. Hopefully, I will rectify that soon and post pictures of this truly wonderful coin.
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    That three-legger sounds very nice, Barry ... image
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dalonega is not David Hall. It is Lee Coins and Ken Park is listing these coins. At least that is who I know there.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053