Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Recent changes in PCGS (good and bad)

There have been a number of changes in the new HRHR (Home Run Hall Regime)---some good, but several of the most recent ones are pretty negative toward PCGS customers. There are thread about many of these, but I thought I would consolidate my thoughts here, and welcome others' comments.

1. Regarding the banning of forum members----this has been beat to death. Yes, PCGS runs the forum, but I see no evidence that any warnings or the like were given. I think PCGS has lost a couple of good contributors and maybe also customers (who knows whether Greg will continue his $100K/year submitting rate). This was clearly handled very poorly by PCGS.

2. Regarding the new submission rates----good news about the higher priced submissions, in terms of the number of graders; but not so good news for us common folk. I do not submit many coins, and I have never submitted as many as ten at a time. So I guess I'm locked out. So much for the benefits of being a Collector's Club member.

2b. More on submissions---the new "Presidential review" service. This used to be an informal thing that was generally available on request, at least for pop-top (or nearly so) coins. This was true, as I understand it, both in the Rick Montgomery days as well as the current HRHR. I guess they see an opportunity for more revenue without really adding any additional service. I think we lose on this one.

2c. 50 days turnaround!!?!!?

3. David Hall grading opinion at Long Beach. I wasn't there on Friday. And I know it was plagued with long lines (not PCGS's fault). But in concept, I think this was a very positive move. I suspect the response may be part of the reason for the new charge for "presidential review" service.

4. David's participation on the forums---the Q and A is a valuable addition. Homerun Hall's participation on the Registry and US coin forums is less valuable. David seems to pop up periodically when he has a question (such as the new Roosevelt dime desginations) or, occasionally, to respond to a question or defend PCGS. But he is very absent for many discussions where his input would be valuable. And, when he does participate, there seems to be a lot of question about his sincerety (read the later posts on the Roosevelt Dime threads). I get the sense that he (or someone in the organization) reads all the threads very carefully, and, equally carefully, decide where to participate and where to stay out. Particularly regarding PCGS policy and plans, they seem to avoid at all costs.

I think the last week or so has done a lot to undermine PCGS's credibility. I hope they take action to resolve that and to once again make PCGS a reasonable company to do small scale business with. If they continue to irritate their customer base, there is a risk of this, in turn, eroding the value of PCGS slabbed coins (relative to other services)---while we all like to think we buy the coin, not the plastic, it is clear that the plastic does provide a premium to the price, and, as the owner of many PCGS graded coins, I would like to see this premium retained.

Pete

Comments

• Options
    Are we supposed to hear from DH tonight?

Pennies make dollars, and dollars make slabs!

....inflation must be kicking in again this dollar says spend by Dec. 31 2004!

Erik
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>2c. 50 days turnaround!!?!!? >>

50 Business days!!! I have had an economy order in for over two months!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Now, now, Marty, it's only one day over two months. You are just so impatient!image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    well 2 months and 2 days for me. Called them today and it is in the 43rd BUSINESS day which means they can take ANOTHER week and a half. By the way when I sent in my submission there was 30 days posted on the website for economy submissions.
  • Options

<< <i>when I sent in my submission there was 30 days posted on the website for economy submissions. >>

That would be the same for all of us waiting on submissions from January. They were already taking longer than the 30 days, the new notice simply acknowledged that. My last was 42 days, and it was completed a few days after the notice was posted.

BTW, in case anybody's interested, the 50 day notice was originally posted 02.07.03.

Russ, NCNE

• Options
    cascadecascade Posts: 151 ✭✭
    What are the new fee's? I still see the same fee schedule thats been there for awhile now.
  • Options
    Cascade,

They don't take affect until 04.01.03, $12 for moderns, $16 for economy, 10 coin minimum.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Breg corrected me in an email---that he has in recent years spent a few thousand a year in submissions (I got an extra zero or two in there). But the rest of my post still stands. My apologies for the mis-statement, taken from my (obviously incorrect) memory of something I thought I had read in a previous post.

Pete
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well NGC just sort stole some of PCGS's thunder by coming out with Full Torch themselves and also adding proof like to other than Morgan dollars. Should get them much more business. A salvo was just fired over the bow.

roadrunner.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    1. No comment

2. Bad

2b. Good

2c. Bad

3. Good

4. Good

My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    I really don't mind the long turnaround times (the suspense is tough but I'm patient.) I do not like the $30 fee nor the 10 coin minimum. $300 or more a crack! Arrrggghhh!!

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Options
    critocrito Posts: 1,735
    tighter grading + higher fees = less incentive for me to submit

They seem to be positioning themselves as the "high end" grading company, complete with the prerequisite snooty attitude, and now have the fees to match. They should finish with the charade and change the company name to "Dealer's Universe". Then ban everyone who can't afford ANACONDA and Coinguy's monsters. Would make Bear very happy image

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    gotta admit that these sound like awfully trivial concerns where i'm coming from:

1. banning of forum members - you are just placing way, way to much importance on this forum. it just shouldn't impact your life that much!!! it doesn't amount to much in the big scheme of things. don't know about you, but i enjoy my coin-club meetings (w/ real live people w/ real faces) a he11uva lot more than reading anonymous drivel on the forum! try it, you might like it.

2. new submission rates - simple solution: learn to grade coins yourself. learn to LIKE how you grade your own coins.

2b. "Presidential review" - see #2

2c. 50 days turnaround!!?!!? - see #2

3. see #2

4. David's participation on the forums - see #1

K S
  • Options

<< <i>I do not like the $30 fee nor the 10 coin minimum. $300 or more a crack! >>

The 10 coin minimum applies only to moderns ($12) and economy ($16). There is no minimum for regular ($30).

Russ, NCNE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file