Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Image of the single highest graded early Lincoln (MS69RD)

2»

Comments

• Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    Great pictures of an obviously wonderful coin....
    Not to be nit-picky, but is there a small "tick" on the right temple? Perhaps it is on the holder. It is harder to see on the smaller picture.
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stewart:

Did you sculpt the beard to look like that??
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say "OK, Let's Flame It!".....

but it's already flaming!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    KeyrockKeyrock Posts: 961
    Stunning!!!!

Thanks to Stewart and Shylock.

Does this mean We will see pictures in Stewarts sets?
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Paul, you said :

"There was a turtle in his loft I really wanted to take home with me. I think he would noticed it under my jacket, it weighed about 1,000 lbs."

I'm extremely impressed that you were discouraged from taking the turtle, not because you couldn't carry it, but because Stewart might have noticed it under your jacket. imageimage

Needless to say, I'm (nearly) equally impressed with the coin and the images - thanks to both of you.
  • Options
    littlewicherlittlewicher Posts: 1,822 ✭✭
    It has an awesome strike. I didn't even know that Lincoln had a beard, because there are so many weakly struck coins out there. I doubt it would grade MS69 by today's standards. That O on the reverse has a couple hits. IMO, that would keep it from a 69 in today's standards. Awesome coin nevertheless!

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Mark -- I resorted to Plan B. I gave the turtle my address so now I'm waiting for a very loud knock on my door.

The ultimate compliment for this coin is that, blown up to poster size, we still have to look pretty close to find some imperfection. Besides the incredible detail that reveals design elements I've never seen before, Lakesammmon's comment about the quality of the planchet is what struck me as well. The color and 3-dimensional texture (or peach fuzz, as Stewart calls it) is what attracts me most to high grade copper and that 1919 is bathed in it.

A nice compliment to this is the first slabbed Lincoln he purchased, a 1909-S NGC (67RD?). It has the same planchet streaking you see on so many S-Mint Indian Heads, but I really like the look on this one. A very cool coin.

• Options
    That is one amazing coin ... just wow !!!
    My eBay Items

I love Ike dollars and all other dollar series !!!

I also love Major Circulation Strike Type Sets, clad Washingtons ('65 to '98) and key date coins !!!!!

If ignorance is bliss, shouldn't we have more happy people ??
  • Options
    Paul and Stewart, thanks so much, really amazing coin and great photography....these images and the ones posted by leothelyon, anaconda et al keep me comin back. Hey snake where are those photos of Miss Stephanie? -mark- image
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    It's the coin, not the plastic ... thank you, Stewart (and Paul) for sharing. It is hard to imagine a better early Lincoln could exist. Simply awesome. I kept checking it for the COPY stamp, but never found it ... image
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    GASP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I barely looked at the 1st page of this thread now! Are you kidding me???? That Linkie Penny is impossible!!!!!
    Stewart, you must own your own minting presses, that coin is too mint fresh! You can't pull the wool over the eyes
    of the HepKitty!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish they'd put that lincoln back on the cent.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW with a capital W

I did not know Lincolns beard was supposed to be that detailed?????

absolutely stunning
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    Kudos Paul - what a beautiful coin! THanks for posting it! image
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭
    Zounds!!! I have been waiting a long time to see that wonderful coin. What great photos. I can't believe the beard detail. Just amazing.
    Thanks for sharing. mdwoods
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, Mark... the lincoln, or the quarters? image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!

That would grade MS-199 in an ACG slab, after dipping and recoloring of course...
  • Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    KILLER!

Far better than I imagined it would be; thanks to both of you for the wonderful images.

Brian and other doubters: Forget what "PCGS published standards" say about the grade...take your best MS67RD, compare it to this 1919 and tell me that there's less than a two point difference. image

I've heard the story of where this coin came from but I'm sure I would mangle it if I tried to retell it here...hopefully Stewart will notice people asking.

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options
    rwhiterwhite Posts: 326
    A stunning and quite frankly an amazing coin. However, its not an MS69 according to the published PCGS standards. In the photo I can see flaws, marks, etc. Therefore it is not "as published standards" state an MS69.

I believe the published standards are at 10x magnification. I would think this picture is more than 10x.
    -Ryan-
  • Options
    KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭
    That 1919 is out of this world !!!!

Thank you Stewart and Paul !!!!!!!!!!!!

I have looked at it 5 times and it gets better every time.
    Thanks for my new background on my computer !!!!!!!!

Kevin
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most incredible cent I have ever seen in my 40 years of looking. Where DID you find this cent? The 1919 cent is indeed known for some awesome strikes but I have only seen one that ever even came close to this one and that other one is a evil stepsister of this truly handsome coin!!!

When can I see this coin in person?????????

Can I buy it for my type set???
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What can I possibly say that hasn't been said. Truly amazing. One of the rare condition rarities that is priceless.

Very sad that the quality of modern Lincolns is so poor.
    Higashiyama
  • Options
    wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    We need more threads like this. WOW, a truly amazing coin.

Brian.
  • Options
    rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    Just stunning! and beautiful!

Thanks Stewart and Shylock for sharing!
    Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • Options
    KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭
    Stewart ,

Would you tell us the story how this coin was made ?

I would be interested.

Kevin
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Kaj1 - This coin was made in the mint at Philadelphia in 1919....I swear to it !!

Brian - There will be another of my Lincoln cents imaged next week.

Stewart
  • Options
    smprfismprfi Posts: 874
    make todays cents look like crap.
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    THANK YOU Stewart and Shylock. K
  • Options
    Its real & its spectacular!!
    98PANDA.98panda
  • Options
    coinerdcoinerd Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Stewart,
    Tag collectors want to see the tag, surely it's
    worth $100,000.
    Hope the scanning did not encourage the coin to
    tarnish in the slab, not to mention the temperature
    change from a cold vault to warm hands.
    Coinerd
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very impressive coin. This Lincoln is so close to perfect that I can the tiny things that keep it from being graded MS 70 by PCGS.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    WOW is right, and to think I allmost missed the days read. I too was also wondering about hte small hits on the rev. but I guess extreme magnifiaction would answer it.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    AWESOME!!!!!! You have made my day!!!!! image
    Glenn
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I love that coin - I have not seen any with the amount of detail on the beard, including proof coins.

The only time I have seen such detailing is on hobo nickels -> let the flames begin.

Unless someone can show me a picture of a wheat penny obverse (out of the Billions produced), that
    has that much detail on the face and neck, I must only conclude that coin has been tooled (or photo enhanced).

I agree it looks very nice, but is it original or enhanced?

I do have pennies showing more hair detail behind the ear and lower hand, but the beard is mushy.

Please someone, out of the combined penny experience and collections, show me another ->
    I am thinking this is a "one of a kind" , but did not leave the mint that way.
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Wow.
  • Options
    I'm using the 1919 as my wallpaper - I get to see it every day and am still impressed (and jealous)----AWESOME!!
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Sinin - Here's a sister coin to compare it to (link), I think that one came from the same motherload roll. Stewart may have done some micro-chisel work on this but the only image editing was crop & sizing. It's the most photogenic coin I've ever seen. Two other pics with different lighting angles are here.

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I also did some more looking - and stand corrected, Teletrade shows a couple 68's from 1919 that look very similar.

What would cause this on so few? heavy planchett? 1 die that someone played with?

The 1916 shown in Stewarts group of photos looks similar but goes high in front of the ear -
    Is it original? awful interesting.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coins like that should NOT exist!!! It's like someone grabbed it out of the hopper at the mint and stored it in a vacuum for 80 years!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file