Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Rotated 78cc Morgan, Did I spent to much?

Hi again all!!!!

Just came in the mail. I did a BIN for $95 bucks about a week ago. (Might have bought it off a board member). Any opinions on whether it was worth it or not?

The reverse pic shows how much it's rotated. It's a hair off centered too.

It just caught my eye and looked like something that would fit nice in my collection since I have no unsual Morgans.

To me it looks like it was cleaned awhile ago. Will a acetone dip clean it up or should I just leave it? I'm guessing it isn't worth slabbing.

For some reason I've been collecting GSA Morgans through the years. Been buying them here and there. I'm up to forty and I told myself I'm stopping at ? Next purchase will be a nice 1890cc or a 1891cc GSA.(any one have an extra?) So a raw morgan here and there is a nice addition.

Thanks for looking and any comments are always appreciated.
Tom

Comments

• Options
    contact GSAGUY for the 90 or 91 GSA, I am sure he has some.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    It looks only some kind of AU so yes you overpaid a little. Rotation is a common error, especially on older coins so the prem is small. Rotation is common for the 78 CC.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1878-cc I believe is the most common rotated reverse for the Morgan series. Rotated dies for Morgans are highly sought after by those that collect errors and VAMS. With the exception of the 78-cc, most other dates are not that common. I have seen an 1886-o, 1890-o and own an 1883-o. I had the opportunity years ago to buy a BU 78-CC and passed. I admit I regret the decision.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    Trooper,

I've handled hundreds, if not a thousand or more 78-CC GSA coins and don't recall a single one with a rotated die. Others on the boards are much more familiar with rd's than I, but I just thought I'd make that observation. For me, the most commonly encountered GSA date with rotated dies has been the 82-CC.

As for the coin itself, it's cool and if you like it, then you didn't pay too much.

GSAGUY

P.S. Let me know when you're ready for a 90 or 91-CC GSA.....just be prepared for some sticker shock......have you seen the prices lately?image
  • Options
    No, you did not pay to much for it that is about the going rate for one rotated about 90°. As mentioned above it is one of the if not the most common Morgan found with major die rotation (90° or more) and is sought after by both error and Morgan collectors. I have found there is always a ready market for a Morgan dollar with major die rotation.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had about 6 rotated die 1878-CCs... all in PCGS holders and all Mint State. I have never, however, seen one in a GSA holder -- although dealers have told me they have... long ago.

According to all the literature I've ever seen, there my be more 1878-CCs with large (45 degrees or more) rotation than all of the other dates in the series put together.

They've always been popular in MS grades, but things are really starting to heat up lately.

About a week ago, a PCGS-63 sold on eBay for $512, and a PCGS-65 sold for $1,330. Just a few days ago a PCGS-66 sold for $3,775. About that same time I sold a PCGS-63 for $500. All had rotations in the 75-90 degree range.

The only one I still have is a PCGS-65, and I'm determined to hang on to it.
    When in doubt, don't.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file