Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Pocket Coin Type Collection

I love the feel of real coins in my fingers - the feel of a real coin (not plastic) is wonderful!

I have a dealer that quietly takes care of me and often will find me a Pocket Coin when he brings me an encapsulated coin of some value. Sure, the pocket coin is always very very well worn and the details faint or damaged; still, it is wonderful to have a companion Pocket Coin to enjoy the "feel" of while we protect the "look" in encapsulated plastic.

What I really want is a Pocket Coin Type Collection!!!!!! One that can be touched and felt <GRIN>!!!!!
Greg Watson

Brazelton Hotels

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I know that there are people who definitely agree with you here on having a coin to play with. image I just can't bear to do it, though, to any coin that isn't already well worn (AG-VG).
  • Options
    Lately my sets have evolved into one slabbed and one raw of each set.

I, too, like the of feel the coins and to look without plastic in the way.
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    my dealer turn me on to a old worn 1888O morgan for 5.00 I keep in my pocket for tubbing. when you shop over the internet its crazy to buy big money coins without a peace of plastic. I do shop on ebay alot but I have to go to a coins shop once a month and a show atleast once of more time a year. than I like to buy raw type coins I can hands on.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options

<< <i>I just can't bear to do it, though, to any coin that isn't already well worn (AG-VG). >>

I agree - my "Pocket Coins" are usually very very very well worn, often damaged - often not even the same date or mint - but I do really enjoy having at least one of each series to enjoy!
    Greg Watson

Brazelton Hotels
  • Options
    And I thought I was going crazy!!! I carry around a 1988-D Olympic $ for a pocket piece that will be about EF45 in just a year or so!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    heh, all of the coins in my circ type set are pocket quality coins, from good to fine and some VFs, and I handle them "not by the edges" all the time. of course, value does have some concern and I don't really Jingle a coin worth more than about $100. I agree, touching them is half the pleasure for a well worn piece of history, I always wonder how many times this thing was spent and who bought what with it , and then who bought and sold it as a collectible, in the 100 or 150 years since it was made until if found its way into my hands. Yes I've got slabbed Ms 6x and Pf6x coins too, but somehow I like my raw ones best. Well, in a way... image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greg,

For what I'm about to say, you may find me exceedingly eccentric:

I enjoy using high-grade circ key dates as pocket pieces. A couple of years ago, I carried around a $17K Seated Dollar around with me as I go to shows. Admittedly, the coin was in a paper flip. But, I liked the feel of it and I can pull it out and show it to people. I have since gotten that coin slabbed, and has only seen the light of day a couple of times since. What a shame to do that to such an appealing and rare coin.

Now, I carry around an 1873-CC w/arr dime. It is worth several thousand dollars. But, I don't mind. It is fun for me, and I feel it brings me good luck at the shows. It is in a 2''x2'' non-PVC flip, with a white card background for visual effect. It had been slabbed (by ANACS, net graded), but I like it better raw and as a charm piece. If, or when, I sell this, I will not be sure what else I have that is of like charm...

I have a small stack of low-grade circ Capped Bust halves, but at that value, I doubt that each one would bring me much charm or luck. Perhaps I'll get around to attributing them someday. If I have an R.5 or better variety, then I think I've found my next charm.

I have also carried around with me one of my early large cents; they are nice, but also not of too much value. I once had an 1849 dollar that I bought as F15. It was totally original and problem free, and gorgeous for what it was. Unfortunately, someone at a show fell in love with my charm and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Too bad. As soon as I sold it, I felt very empty and had to replace the charm as soon as possible.

I really need to stop showing off my charms...

EVP

PS I just thought of another potential charm: I have a complete set of Walkers, several of the key dates are low-grade raw circs. I can use the '19-S, or any one of the '21 mints... All totally original and problem free!

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭
    I love the feel and weight of silver dollars in my pocket..........so I swap monthly between a bent up and polished 83 Morgan, a 23 Peace dollar that is gouged pretty bad and a proof Ike(CAM). Although the Ike is looking pretty nasty these days, people still get a kick out of seeing it("WOW! I used to have a bunch of those things!")
    imageimage

• Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    For me its an 1857 seated dime in g that sits inside a picture window on my keychain . Always gets a lot of comments like "what is that?"
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    The $50 Platinum 2001 coin I carry as a conversation piece isn't as neat as a seated dime or an older silver dollar, but its a conversation piece because not that many people beyond collectors has seen them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file