Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Crazy price for a sad coin

I had to watch this one to see how high it would go. I like the Standing Liberty quarters and saw this rare date in MS65 FH. The trouble is, it is not a full head. I'm not sure what the grade is by this picture.

1919-D FH MS65??

Can you believe the bid went over $4,000? Trends has it at $24,000 but that is for a real one. Hmm, why would someone like centless sell a 24,000 dollar coin for just 4 grand? This seller is making out big. I am disgusted that bidders are willing to pay this amount too. Do they collect in a vacuum? There is so much info on good and bad certification companies. All they have to do is show the coin to 1 knowledgeable collector and they would know the truth.
Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
FrederickCoinClub

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greed is a huge motivator when it comes to buying these coins.

I guess, that also plays a heavy roll with the Seller too.

peacockcoins

• Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    I don't have a gray sheet price. I don't think thats to bad of price on a 19D SLQ 65fh

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think thats to bad of price on a 19D SLQ 65fh >>

MacCoin,

The problem is that it's graded by NTC, which means it's either harshly cleaned, hairlined, not full head or overgraded by 3 to 5 points - or a combination of all of that.

Russ, NCNE

• Options
    MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    I hope you are joking with me MacCoin. That thing was graded by NTC. The head is not full and something looks all wrong with the luster. It is not ms65 and not a full head.
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The real harm with the likes of NTC isn't so much selling XF40 coins, cleaned and buffed to appear SM65- but instead, and even more hideous, is selling coins, like that 19-S quarter in a 65 holder when it's maybe an MS63 and certainly NOT a $4,000.00 coin.

I've purchased NTC's and the glaring truth is they are two or three points (and, on a good day, only one point) overgraded. The coin is what it is, not an unattractive, but certainly not the grade purported on the insert.

Case in point: MS66 clad Ikes. Not too shabby, but generally MS64's. The MS66 might be a $140.00 coin and a true MS64 a $20.00 coin. The NTC will sell for $40.00 causing the new buyer to believe he ripped the coin at a bargain price when in reality he paid twice its worth.

peacockcoins

• Options
    I tried to enlarge the picture as much as possible without losing all the detail, but even in this shot, you can see that the coin has an obvious flat head, which would knock it out of FH contention. A costly mistake for whomever bought this thing!

Frank

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, and a real 65 non-full head coin sheets under $2,000. Miss Liberty's leg appears to be on the flat side too. Oops.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭
    Well,

If the buyer holds onto it for a few decades......
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file