Home U.S. Coin Forum

1881 Quarter GTG-grade posted below

Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 9, 2024 7:57PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Ok, one more, grade it and extra points for CAC yes/no. @FlyingAl did a few new photos...This one came out nice.

Comments

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

PR67DCAM. CAC.

• KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

PR64 CAM. CAC

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pr66dcam cac

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

PR67 DCAM cac

• CrepidoderaCrepidodera Posts: 352 ✭✭✭✭✭

PF65 DCAM

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough without seeing the mirrors for grade and designation I’m going to guess 65+ DCAM CAC but 64-66 wouldn’t surprise me. If the mirrors or really burned from the old dip and the there are some hairlines, 63 CAM would be the floor but it looks nice from the glamor shoot

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭

66CAM
    No CAC

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2024 5:57PM

Gorgeous coin, with mirrored fields, frosted devices and toning that sets of and frames the frosted central devices. Who cares what the grade/designation is (until you decide to sell it :) ). If I was pressed to opine I would say the following:

1. Between Proof 64 and 66 CAM; and

2. If it was not a proof Seated Liberty quarter from the 19th century and instead was a silver proof Washington quarter from the mid 20th century I would guess that our host would most likely grade it between a Proof 64 and 66 (no Cameo, a brilliant proof only).

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

PR67 DCAM CAC green - a BEAUTY!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

PR67 DCAM CAC. Wow.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭✭

PR66 CAM

Derek

EAC 6024
  • abbyme24abbyme24 Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

66 DCAM

• Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some good guesses, thanks for playing guys. @privatecoin for the win! PCGS PR-66 DCAM/CAC

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

For those guessing CAM - please note that this is quite literally as good as it gets for Seated Liberty quarters. For coins of this era, you rarely see truly undipped mirrors that beam like this - they are often dulled by a dip to make the contrast "pop" a little more, but this can actually have the opposite effect.

Coin Photographer.

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:
    For those guessing CAM - please note that this is quite literally as good as it gets for Seated Liberty quarters. For coins of this era, you rarely see truly undipped mirrors that beam like this - they are often dulled by a dip to make the contrast "pop" a little more, but this can actually have the opposite effect.

Not sure I would call that undipped but not over dipped sure. Also not quite positive how anyone could be certain of mirror depth based off those photos. Sure it looked DCAM but CAM is completely possible if the mirrors weren’t deep enough even looking like that.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

A beautiful Quarter!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file