Home U.S. Coin Forum

Attending TPA show.....advice

Hello everyone. I'll be attending the show in Tampa this week and was going to be be taking approximately 10-12 coins for possible trading/selling/CAC submissions and grading. What is the easiest way to carry these coins without being "obvious?" Getting a bid concerned having to worry about "stalkers" in the parking lot and waiting outside the venue to see what people are coming and leaving with..... or maybe I'm just being too overly cautious? Thanks!

Comments

• abbyme24abbyme24 Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

@knovak1976 said:
    Hello everyone. I'll be attending the show in Tampa this week and was going to be be taking approximately 10-12 coins for possible trading/selling/CAC submissions and grading. What is the easiest way to carry these coins without being "obvious?" Getting a bid concerned having to worry about "stalkers" in the parking lot and waiting outside the venue to see what people are coming and leaving with..... or maybe I'm just being too overly cautious? Thanks!

A backpack is fine. Tons of people are walking around the bourse with bags, it won’t stick out as unusual or as a target anymore than anybody else will.

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭

@knovak1976 said:

Unless you’re actually a celebrity from Hollywood or something I’m pretty sure this will be a stalking free environment. Crime can happen anywhere. Any probably at a higher rate at coin shows. But you’ll be fine, most likely. 😉

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2024 3:37PM

Carry the coins like you would anything else. You can have a backpack. I personally use reusable grocery bags. If there's a binder or notepad sticking out people won't assume you are carrying valuables. The more "secure" you look, the more valuable you appear. Also, with 10-12 coins you probably won't be in the top 100 more valuable targets in the show.

I'd focus more on avoiding high risk areas at high risk times.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• knovak1976knovak1976 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭

Being in Florida every thing is possible. My 2000 Honda Accord had the converter stolen off it last year. It had 341,000 miles on it when they got it and our parking lot was well lit. Not sure it was worth a heck of a lot….but the thieves go for anything any more…..….just rather be safe than sorry. Backpack it is! Thanks! 😉

• pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had similar concerns bringing about 25 ozs of slabbed coins to Long Beach last week. I usually rent a car at the Long Beach airport and take the short drive to the show, finding a parking space on a surface street nearby. However, the immediate area around the convention center can be considered a bit “seedy” to walk around with a laptop bag so I opted to take an Uber both ways for door to door service.

As I side note, I did leave the convention center to grab some lunch on Ocean Blvd. While walking to the restaurant, a “gentleman” on a bike approached me and asked me to follow him into a dark alley so he could use my phone to make a call. Uh, no.

Tim

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jacques_Loungecoque said:
    Oh, this is Florida too. Throw a sidearm on your hip. We won’t be mad at you. Unless you’re a felon.

Or you have exploding bullets. :D

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭

Might try a money belt if all coins would fit into it $20 or so on Amazon

• knovak1976knovak1976 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭

@Glen2022 said:
    Might try a money belt if all coins would fit into it $20 or so on Amazon

Using one for my trip to Tanzania next month! Coins are slabbed otherwise that would be a great idea! Thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file