Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this the overall cost to crossover a coin?

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭✭

I have one coin of value left in my collection and having a bit of a harder time selling it. I was thinking of crossing it over to give it some better exposure and get it in better plastic. Started looking at the expense of doing it myself and just kept seeing fees and expenses add up. Ended up estimating that it would cost $252 to cross it over. I understand I might be able to save on shipping by going registered but I'm not going to buy a roll of that gummed tape for one final coin. Looks like there's also a "guaranteed premium" of 1% I'd have to pay if it crosses. Does this look right? Not sure the added expense would be worth it. Based on the estimated value I don't think I can choose a lower grading tier.

Maybe find a dealer to submit so I don't have to get a membership fee and can split shipping and the $10 handling fees with other submissions in the order?

Not going to go into much detail on the coin because I don't want to make it look like I'm promoting its sale by stating what it is. Just want to stick to the topic of crossovers.

If it crosses over at the same grade, it might even be a little more for the 1% crossover premium because PCGS would base the 1% off their price guide value.

Comments

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

The guarantee premium is most certainly based on the price guide value. You might be better off consigning it to someone who already had PCGS and CAC memberships, who also wont have to pay $40 for shipping.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    I’m sure you already know this but I’ll say it anyway - the cost pertains to attempting to cross over a coin, something that might not even be successful.

Oh yeah, hadn't thought of that possibility...spend all of that and no guarantee it would even cross.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2024 7:05PM

Why not consign it to an auction house like Great Collections? You have the option to work with Ian and his staff to set the floor price thus limiting your downside, perhaps the floor would even be higher than what you have invested + the costs to attempt a crossover. Assuming it is the coin I think you just need more eyeballs on it, I would love to buy it myself but just don't have a place in the collection for it.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • lermishlermish Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without posting pictures or asking price or anything, because that belongs in the BST, can you tell us what type of coin it is?

@lermish said:
    Without posting pictures or asking price or anything, because that belongs in the BST, can you tell us what type of coin it is?

It's a 1798 Draped Bust Dollar Small Eagle variety which is a lot scarcer than the large eagle version usually seen that year. It's a lower grade, but I feel it's accurately graded currently.

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on your guaranteed premium it's a $3,000 coin. If you send it to CACG for crossover, there would be no guaranteed premium. Coins in that price category are assumed to have failed if they don't have a CAC.

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're going to sell it just consign it to GC and have Ian send it to CAC to try and get it stickered.
    I wouldn't take a chance on sending it in for crossover, as said above, it might not cross and you're out the money.
    At GC YOU set the opening bid, YOU are in control
    Good luck
    Ps. You could always put it up on the BST few a few days and see what happens, you never know.......

Can we assume it is a NGC and not a less popular brand?

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see no problem with you telling us what this mystery coin is and what mystery slab it's housed in and what mystery grade they gave it. If you show us pics of this coin, we may advise against trying to cross it because we think it won't cross.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

@PerryHall said:
    I see no problem with you telling us what this mystery coin is and what mystery slab it's housed in and what mystery grade they gave it. If you show us pics of this coin, we may advise against trying to cross it because we think it won't cross.

The mystery has been revealed!

• RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin and I expect there are a lot of potential buyers if you decide to sell it. Most 1798 Small Eagle dollars are VF and better, so there is very little available in lower grades, and there are many buyers who don't want to pay the price of a VF.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking coin and I think it looks fine in its current holder. What grading service are you thinking about crossing it to and do you think it will become more valuable if the cross is successful? Has it been to CAC?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichieURich said:
    Great coin and I expect there are a lot of potential buyers if you decide to sell it. Most 1798 Small Eagle dollars are VF and better, so there is very little available in lower grades, and there are many buyers who don't want to pay the price of a VF.

It’s been available for a while, and I think that’s why the thought of crossing it came to mind.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1105620/fsh-1798-small-eagle-draped-bust-dollar-ngc-vg8-final-price#latest

I personally like the coin very much, except for the yellow/green discoloration on the reverse. Could that be conserved off? I would not dump more money into crossing this to pcgs. A cac sticker would be reasonably priced and benefit the coin, and I’d let GC do that part for me.

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1madman said:

@RichieURich said:

It’s been available for a while, and I think that’s why the thought of crossing it came to mind.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1105620/fsh-1798-small-eagle-draped-bust-dollar-ngc-vg8-final-price#latest

I personally like the coin very much, except for the yellow/green discoloration on the reverse. Could that be conserved off? I would not dump more money into crossing this to pcgs. A cac sticker would be reasonably priced and benefit the coin, and I’d let GC do that part for me.

The yellow-green you speak of appears to be toning, which could not be conserved off.
    BTW I like the die crack thru the 2nd T of STATES.

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1madman said:

@RichieURich said:

Pricing is the issue. GS is $2500, CPG is $3100. IMO, OP is never netting $3050, regardless of the holder. It would be (IMO) a fantastic result for this to hammer at $2700 at GC for an all in price of $3k. That nets OP $2700.

IF it stickers maybe OP could net a bit over $3k but (again, IMO) I don't think the coin is stickering. Sinking extra money into this coin would not net OP any additional funds and would probably be less after the holdering/shipping/etc.

I would lower the price and be happy with any amount over $2500.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2024 6:24PM

If it is am out - that would buy about 4 or 5 nice slabbed Bullion coins. Picked up a CACG ASE / MS 70 for $60.

Coins & Currency
  • KSorboKSorbo Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

Any rare early American type coin in a first world straight graded holder is a winner. I wish I had the budget for a coin like the OP.

@PerryHall said:
    Great looking coin and I think it looks fine in its current holder. What grading service are you thinking about crossing it to and do you think it will become more valuable if the cross is successful? Has it been to CAC?

At this point I’m not sure the added expense of crossing it over will be offset by a higher value. I have never sent it to CAC and don’t know if it’s ever made its way over. Maybe I’m too old school… i buy it because i like it and not because it has a green sticker haha.

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgs69 said:

@PerryHall said:

At this point I’m not sure the added expense of crossing it over will be offset by a higher value. I have never sent it to CAC and don’t know if it’s ever made its way over. Maybe I’m too old school… i buy it because i like it and not because it has a green sticker haha.

Even those who prioritze CAC buy it because they like it, but when it comes to resale. and liquidity, CAC is king. If your coin was stickered, youd have sold it the day you posted it, and this thread would never exist. I know that I would pay at least 20% more than what I'd offer as it is, if it were stickered.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

I've just checked the NGC price guide and shockingly it puts this VG 8 coin's value at $2,350. Yes, it's just a price guide; but, it's pretty difficult to get someone to pay more for a NGC especially without a CAC. With a CAC buyers might overlook the NGC price guide.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file