Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do you collect or own any issues from the Society of Medalists series??

MaywoodMaywood Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Society of Medalists was founded by Clyde Curlee Trees in 1929 after he had purchased the Medalic Art Company in New York City. SOM was envisioned as a successor to the Circle of Friends of the Medallion which had issued medals some 20 years earlier. MACO issued medals for the next 66 years, generally two per calendar year. The leading medalists and sculptors in America were sought to submit designs, many who are no doubt familiar to most of us: Laura Gardin-Fraser, Paul Manship and Herman MacNeil started the series off in 1930-31. The designs and themes were wide ranging and typically struck in bronze though many were struck in multiple alloys.

All totaled there were more than 130 issues and most of them had mintages of right around 1,000. I suppose it would be a daunting task to assemble a complete collection, especially with the original box and paperwork which accompanied each medal, but I have found that there are some issues which are quite lovely or have a strongly personal them which makes them attractive. As it is I only have a few but I occasionally search eBay for nice examples and Stack's tends to include them in their sales periodically. Bidding is usually spirited!! Though it isn't a big market, NGC and I believe PCGS will encapsulate them.

I wondered if anyone here collects them or owns any that they might have images of?? I'll include a link to a helpful web page, a montage of the medals and my favorite medal. Thanks and enjoy.

Maywood.

link to information page.
https://medallicartcollector.com/som_background.html

All the issues, individual pictures and info at the web page.

1985 Bursting the Bounds Medal. By Donald De Lue. Alexander-SOM 111.1. Bronze.

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

The book on them by David T. Alexander is great!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent post Maywood. Sadly medals do have a small following, but the artistic and historical merit should spark further interest during the collecting career of numismatists. I suspect part of the issue is there is not much in the way of resources that are readily available.

To answer your questions, I think I have 6 or 7. And to be more specific, I have the first five issues with The first and fourth in the box with the paperwork. I am a buyer of medals that I find interesting. While collecting the set/set would be interesting, there are other medals I think I would rather own both US and other countries. The circle of Friends medallions where issued in a case that resembles a book. Not sure what the surviving population for the cases might be.

One additional comment- the medal that you posted seems to be popular- one hammered this past week for $650 so with the buyers premium, that would be $780. I was not aware of the price range for it or even most of the others. I believe the Manship which is the second issue recently sold in the low 200 range. Good luck in your quest.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file