Home U.S. Coin Forum

NGC variety request,, Rejected!

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
Many of you seen my ANA NGC Submission for my 1938d NGC Buffalo ms 67.
In which, I wanted them to crack out and rehold it to my cherry pick, D/D variety.
Well, the coin came back today.
But unfortunately like this...

Yep!
NO attribution!
However, the good part is they only charged me for shipping.$28.
No real explanation but I'm figuring because they do not recognize my specific variety.
Sure, the NGC worker at the show didask me if NGC recognizes this variety? Right away I told him. Yes! Definitely. Well known variety.
But, here is where he wasn't specific about explaining if NGC recognized every D over D!
I do take the blame for not asking him in further details.
Oh well.
That's OK.
Here is what my variety looks like.

I Don't know what I'm going to do?
Whether to try PCGS or just leave as is, with my personal sticker on it, D/D with the actual variety #?
Thanks

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2024 2:02PM

NOT my area, but it appears that NGC recognizes multiple "D/D" varieties in 1938 (i.e., generic (no fee), FS-501, FS-502, FS-503, and FS-504).

Reference: https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/nickels/buffalo-five-cents-1913-1938/

Edited to Add:
    In terms of 'next steps', might want to 'consider/investigate' VAMSeal.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would just take a fine tipped Sharpie marker and neatly print "D/D Var." next to the date. Anyone interested in this variety can look at the mintmark and easily see that it's the D/D variety.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoy it for what it is, a neat conversation piece.

peacockcoins

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2024 2:18PM

@MetroD said:
    NOT my area, but it appears that NGC recognizes multiple "D/D" varieties in 1938 (i.e., generic (no fee), FS-501, FS-502, FS-503, and FS-504).

Reference: https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/nickels/buffalo-five-cents-1913-1938/

Edited to Add:

Hmmm? 🤔
    That' weird.
    I do believe I have the FS-503?
    Now, I'm thinking this.
    Forgot to mention.
    During the submission. I asked the NGC representative to note, if NGC won't replace the Same Label on the new slab, " Bag Fragment" I don't want them to crack out!
    So maybe?
    That can be the reason?
    I should call them, right?
    Thanks

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2024 2:45PM

@MetroD said:

Edited to Add:

Per the NGC variety plus page NGC recognizes 5 different 1938 D/D varieties but only one is done at no fee, FS501, 502, 503, and 504 all require the variety fee.

@joeykoins from your photo your coin appears to be FS501 which does require the $18 fee. Which variety did you indicate on the form, and did you include the $18 variety fee? If you did not notate it as FS501 and include the required fee then that is why your coin failed to receive the variety from NGC.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
    edited August 29, 2024 2:34PM

@coinbuf said:

@MetroD said:

Edited to Add:

Per the NGC variety plus page NGC recognizes 5 different 1938 D/D varieties but only one is done at no fee, FS501, 502, 503, and 504 all require the variety fee.

@joeykoins from your photo your coin appears to be FS501 which does require the $18 fee. Which variety did you indicate on the form, and did you include the $18 variety fee? If you did not notate it as SF501 and include the required fee then that is why your coin failed to receive the variety from NGC.

I did not specify the exact variety number.
    I did aquire the attribution fee, $18. Total-$65.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@coinbuf said:

@MetroD said:

Edited to Add:

@joeykoins from your photo your coin appears to be FS501 which does require the $18 fee. Which variety did you indicate on the form, and did you include the $18 variety fee? If you did not notate it as SF501 and include the required fee then that is why your coin failed to receive the variety from NGC.

I did not specify the exact variety number.
    I did aquire the attribution fee, $18. Total-$65.

Ok so two reasons for your outcome, first by not identifying the specific variety you are requesting that could be a problem, I believe that you need to identify the variety you think it is. And BTY I think you could have the same issue if you submitted to PCGS without specifying the variety.

And second on your form you told NGC not to crack if that label was not available, I could be wrong, but I do not believe that any TPG will reuse the old label, so your outcome could have been due to either of those reasons.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Hmmm? 🤔
    That' weird.
    I do believe I have the FS-503?
    Now, I'm thinking this.
    Forgot to mention.
    During the submission. I asked the NGC representative to note, if NGC won't replace the Same Label on the new slab, " Bag Fragment" I don't want them to crack out!
    So maybe?
    That can be the reason?
    I should call them, right?
    Thanks

Definitely consider a call to NGC to better understand what happened. While it will not help this time, it could help next time. :)

Like you suggested, the label could have been the issue. The "fragment" label was probably only available to to bulk submitters. And, since you asked them to preserve the label, they did not crack the holder.

Thanks guys!
    ;)

I contacted NGC!
    Yes, they do accept the FS-503.
    In which, is what mine is.
    However, they said, it was because of my note stating, "if you can't add the old label to the new slab" don't crackout.
    :#
    Oh well, it's all good.
    Maybe, I'll resubmit it to receive the variety without the label?
    I think it would be worth it.
    $575!
    Here's their FS- 503

Thanks y'all.

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

As mentioned before, you can get the VSS label for a fraction of what it'll cost to send back to NGC, AND you'll be able to keep the "Original Bag Fragment". That's what I'd do, but its your coin and your choice.

BTW, the photo on the VSS label will be of the MM on your coin, not just a stock photo of the variety.

edited August 30, 2024 1:48PM

@MWallace said:
    As mentioned before, you can get the VSS label for a fraction of what it'll cost to send back to NGC, AND you'll be able to keep the "Original Bag Fragment". That's what I'd do, but its your coin and your choice.

BTW, the photo on the VSS label will be of the MM on your coin, not just a stock photo of the variety.

Oh, I see!
    I remember having one of these.
    No offense, but NGC/PCGS are more reputable and world known and recognized than the alternative.
    Sorry.

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@MWallace said:

Oh, I see!
    No offense, but NGC/PCGS are more reputable and world known and recognized than the alternative.
    Sorry.

No offense taken. We all can do what we think is best for our collection, myself included. Actually, for myself, with all of the label mistakes that TPGs make (and I've had many that I've had to get corrected), I trust VSS to make the correct attribution.

Some time back I sent a group of 10 or so 1955 D/S Nickels to NGC for grading and putting D/S on the label (No fee for this). I then sent them to VSS to label them with the specific D/S variety. It worked out well, and for a fraction of the cost.

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@MWallace said:

Oh, I see!
    Sorry.

And just about any variety collector will be able to easily verify the variety themselves. Unless it's something very difficult to see (like determining a proof versus business strike on a circulated coin, and those decisions get plenty of disagreement with the TPGs) the attribution on the holder is a convenience. Certainly, it's much easier for two parties to agree on a variety between themselves without a TPG putting it on the label than it would be for two parties to agree on a grade when a point one way or the other changes the value significantly. That's where the grading companies come in to standardize things.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • david3142david3142 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    I contacted NGC!
    Yes, they do accept the FS-503.
    In which, is what mine is.
    However, they said, it was because of my note stating, "if you can't add the old label to the new slab" don't crackout.
    :#
    Oh well, it's all good.
    Maybe, I'll resubmit it to receive the variety without the label?
    I think it would be worth it.
    $575!
    Here's their FS- 503

Thanks y'all.

Joey, we’ve been over this before. Do not rely on the price guides. The 38-D/D has many recent NGC 67 sales you can see on Coinfacts. It’s worth at best half of that $575 figure. If you like the holder get the easy attribution and call it a day rather than having to worry about making sure NGC does exactly what you want.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file