Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Looks like Wander Franco's cards just bit the dust..

up to 20 years in prison. ouch.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

yup, this is the final nail. it might surprise you though. Aaron Hernandez autos still have some value and others of the same ilk. some folks have a morbid fascination with bad bad people.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• VagabondVagabond Posts: 572 ✭✭✭✭

I would say that his cards bit the dust long time before that. I remember selling his Bowman Chrome RC for $220 is a PSA 10 and I have seen one sell for as low as $5 a few weeks ago. Crazy

• bgrbgr Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭

he should change his name to Fander Wranco and stage a comeback!

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone…care to bring me up to speed on this character and his cards?

mint_only_pls
  • GrooGroo Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2024 3:23PM

@craig44 said:
    yup, this is the final nail. it might surprise you though. Aaron Hernandez autos still have some value and others of the same ilk. some folks have a morbid fascination with bad bad people.

Bad luck people? Based on your posts regarding non violent card thieves figured you would be a lot less positive towards a murderer

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

You're exactly right. For example Hitler used memorabilia is worth a small fortune. A few years ago, a phone from his Berlin bunker fetched a quarter million dollars.

I saw where a new found picture of Billy the Kid is estimated to possibly be worth in the millions.

• lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@craig44 said:

You're exactly right. For example Hitler used memorabilia is worth a small fortune. A few years ago, a phone from his Berlin bunker fetched a quarter million dollars.

I saw where a new found picture of Billy the Kid is estimated to possibly be worth in the millions.

Are you talking about the picture where he and his posse are playing croquet? That one was supposedly found where I live, but there's debate on its authenticity.

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lahmejoon said:

@stevek said:

@craig44 said:

Are you talking about the picture where he and his posse are playing croquet? That one was supposedly found where I live, but there's debate on its authenticity.

Yes, that is the picture I was referring to. I hadn't followed the story since I first read about it a while back. But I just googled it, and a website called "The Wild West Newsletter" in an article about the picture, experts on Billy the Kid have deemed it not to be him.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:

Charged with pedophilia in the Dominican, statutory rape and sexual assault of a 14 year old. At one point was unanimously considered the #1 prospect in baseball.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thx DBesse…

For the info…”nice” guy.

mint_only_pls
  • BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

@mintonlypls said:

Charged with pedophilia in the Dominican, statutory rape and sexual assault of a 14 year old. At one point was unanimously considered the #1 prospect in baseball.

Hey, don't forget the girl's mom was charged too. Apparently, she was helping traffic her own child by taking payments to arrange travel, etc...

Sometimes a jail cell can't be far enough underground.

• mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭✭

That's why they have the death penalty

PackManInNC
    edited July 11, 2024 2:33PM

@DBesse27 said:

@mintonlypls said:

Speaks volumes in a place where normally a fistfull of singles will get all charges dropped

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

@mintonlypls said:

The other part of that is he signed a $182M contract as a 20 year old with the Tampa Bay Rays. The team is notorious for letting talented players go once they become expensive but they bet big on the wrong guy here.

Daniel
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2024 11:33AM

@stevek said:

@lahmejoon said:

@stevek said:

@craig44 said:

Yes, that is the picture I was referring to. I hadn't followed the story since I first read about it a while back. But I just googled it, and a website called "The Wild West Newsletter" in an article about the picture, experts on Billy the Kid have deemed it not to be him.

Yeah, there was a local card shop that got involved with this picture. I don't frequent that shop, but one time I was in there and they had a big blow-up copy of the picture and overheard them talking about it. They were trying to broker a deal to help the owner sell the picture. Interesting, if it was real.

edited July 11, 2024 2:43PM

@ndleo said:
    The highest price paid for a Wander Franco RC I could find is $200K for a PSA 10 2019 Bowman Chrome Red Refractor Auto RC. I read at least 35 went for $10K or more.

Has anyone seen any of these cards come up for sale again? I see that some of the higher end 2019 Bowman Chrome Auto RCs sold for around $500 in May. That may not even be the floor the yet.

Floor may be under a buck?

To paraphrase Honeymooners Ed Norton,"hope it wasn't some poor person who's out 200000"

• olb31olb31 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

he's making joe c.'s cards look like mickey mantle's

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Groo said:

@craig44 said:

Bad luck people? Based on your posts regarding non violent card thieves figured you would be a lot less positive towards a murderer

what makes you think i am a lot less positive towards a murderer? I was simply comparing the two creeps and that it is possible his cards may not end up at zero.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2024 5:04PM

^ Well prolly not zero but tree fiddy is likley

It's the singer not the song - Peter Townshend (1972)

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭✭

There will always be some sort of premium for those people who stand out beyond the otherwise normal, even if it is for a negative reason.

On a less negative side of things, Jim Morris and Toe Nash are a couple that won't make you rich, but may cost more than you'd expect. The 2 pitchers from india that the baseball movie was made about as well. None of those guys ever did anything significant in their careers beyond the oddity of their stories, but yet people want those cards.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.