Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

What is your favorite way to view your coins?

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to determine what the best way to store, and view your coins are? Currently, I have a couple Lighthouse coin albums, but I'm finding it hard to really hold the case, and really inspect the coins up close when they are in those big sheets. What do you other set collectors use to store/view your graded coins?

Thank you in advance,
Jeff

Comments

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep mine in the plastic PCGS storage boxes. Not ideal for NGC coins as they keep the lids from fully closing.

Collector, occasional seller

• humanssuckhumanssuck Posts: 373 ✭✭✭✭✭

For protection during storage, i use Lighthouse Intercept Double Protection Boxes. They take up a little more room, but its worth it for the peace of mind as i live in a humid climate.

For viewing, i take them out of the box and use my eyes.

• SametsSamets Posts: 149 ✭✭✭

This is what I use:

Certainly not the cheapest option but they hold 100 coins safely and securely.

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lighthouse wooden boxes with trays. Each tray holds up to 8 slabs. Boxes are various configurations. Not as cool as the old days of albums and Capital plastic, but cool nonetheless.

• baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

@Samets said:
    This is what I use:

Where did you find this? This looks awesome! Thank you.

• SametsSamets Posts: 149 ✭✭✭

@baseballjeff said:

@Samets said:
    This is what I use:

Where did you find this? This looks awesome! Thank you.

They are available on eBay and Amazon. Multiple colors and handle variations.
    I've bought 4 pack once for $45 each shipped.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

I unfortunately view my coins at the bank.

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2024 10:40AM

I keep mine at the bank too, but enjoy viewing pictures of them. I especially like organizing and standardizing the coin images so I can view them both individually and also like this

Mr_Spud

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I loved to view my coins thru the Pcgs digital albums but it has become a very difficult thing to do with many added pictures disappearing from the albums and now being unable to add them to an album when trying to select the obverse / reverse option.
    Once selected, the choice picture does not appear so you cannot adjust it to fit into the coin frame.
    😵‍💫
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2024 12:11AM

For one safe deposit box, 90 coins, I use the following.

3 clamshell boxes, each containing two custom made 9-coin Abafil trays.
    1 Abafil case, containing six 6-coin trays.

It's decadent but the coins deserve it, and I deserve it even more. (: >)

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

In hand, under good lighting, at night (after the sun goes down), sitting in a comfortable chair at the kitchen island, with the windows open, breathing fresh cool night air, with a large glass of ice water (or a cold beer, or a glass of wine) and no distractions.

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    In hand, under good lighting, at night (after the sun goes down).

In their seventy degree, climate controlled office with all you people.
    What ?

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Favorite way is to hold them raw, however, slabbed or capsulated is definitely a level of protection needed for some coins, I hate fingerprints. Boxes like @Samets ' briefcase above or @MrEureka 's clamshell are great for storage, but I usually use a tray to look through my coins. Coin tubes are also a good choice.

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

Page 1 of 5 for the set. This one is still missing a few newps. Also need to redo it as i do not intend to buy a 1894 S.