Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dollar 1799 USA

Sergey74Sergey74 Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
edited July 5, 2024 8:42AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi everyone. I have a question about this thing. Is it genuine or fake coin, your opinions?

Peace.

Comments

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 953 ✭✭✭✭

Definitely a counterfeit. Just look at the eyes plus the stars are wrong.

• Options
    fluffy155fluffy155 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2024 7:36AM

They didn't do a terrible job overall, it's obvious that they used an existing 8x5 1799 to transfer it from, but the detail is soft and there's absolutely no authentic wear or luster for what would be a high AU coin. And of course the look of the "aging" just screams Chinese fake.

Many of the areas you highlighted are actually as expected: the slope on the "1", the die crack to star 10 and the "R" in America, and the missing serif on the "U" in United are all correct for this issue.

• Options
    edited July 4, 2024 8:36AM

Thanks men. We have the thing in an auction now in Russia with price near $3400 as a start. I just didn't like the coin's look. And i didn't like the details. But i have understood about the stamp's features. Any opinions else?

Peace.

• Options
    edited July 4, 2024 8:41AM

Sorry, i have additional question, cause i have this one (1799, low condition). What's meaning "unit" in the edge's inscription "hundred cents or dollar or unit"?

Peace.

• Options

@fluffy155 said:
    They didn't do a terrible job overall, it's obvious that they used an existing 8x5 1799 to transfer it from, but the detail is soft and there's absolutely no authentic wear or luster for what would be a high AU coin. And of course the look of the "aging" just screams Chinese fake.

Many of the areas you highlighted are actually as expected: the slope on the "1", the die crack to star 10 and the "R" in America, and the missing serif on the "U" in United are all correct for this issue.

Fluffy155, if you have the photos of the same type, please show it to compare. With "1", "U", etc.

Peace.

• Options
    fluffy155fluffy155 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭✭

For a larger image: https://d1htnxwo4o0jhw.cloudfront.net/cert/70344105/large/40205377.jpg

You can clearly see the die crack, and diagnostic "1" and "U" issues. My understanding is that "Unit" was just another way of saying "crown like coin" such as a Mexico 8R, German thaler, or any number of large silver coins of about the same weight that circulated at the time.

• Options
    realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 390 ✭✭✭

Move this to the U.S. Coin subforum for more input.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always be very wary of Bust Dollars. They have been faking them in quantity since the mid-1990s and the quality of the fakes has improved over time. The TPG holders have also been faked so be extra cautious when buying any. If you have even the slightest doubt ...pass.

All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file