Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Look what I won yesterday! "Putting the final Nail, in the coffin!"

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 3, 2024 4:35PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Gold Baby!

1909 Indian

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    edited June 29, 2024 8:24AM

@MFeld said:
    That’s a heavily counterfeited type of coin. I can’t tell from the images whether it’s genuine. Can you?

Hmmm
    :*
    From a reputable close friend

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool! Have weighed it yet?

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

@Dave99B said:
    Very cool! Have weighed it yet?

Dave

Haven't received it yet.
    Thanks

• Options

Thanks guys.
    Yeah, I get it about thinking " caution with the wind" factors.
    Mark and the rest. Thanks.
    I'm sending in to PCGS. This way we'll no for certainty.
    ;)

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s very nice. I hope it’s authentic. You’re a braver man than me, as I would never buy raw gold.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@joeykoins said:
    Thanks guys.
    ;)

Joey, why not save the money and show it to a knowledgeable collector or dealer? If you needed a PCGS opinion, why didn’t you buy a PCGS graded one, of which there are plenty available?

He won it in one of his YouTube contests, I'm guessing.

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations!
    This makes me want to ask, is there anyplace that does coin raffles.
    I mean where you would buy tickets to a raffle to win a high grade Morgan as an example.
    Of course a legit raffle.
    That's why I ask here instead of a web search.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2024 9:41AM

Awesome 👏 👏👏.

I once won one on the forum during a give away as well.

• Options
    edited June 29, 2024 9:48AM

@MFeld said:

@joeykoins said:
    Thanks guys.
    ;)

Joey, why not save the money and show it to a knowledgeable collector or dealer? If you needed a PCGS opinion, why didn’t you buy a PCGS graded one, of which there are plenty available?

You're probably right mark, about a dealer. However, this coin only Cost me $50!

• Options

@Morgan13 said:
    Congratulations!
    This makes me want to ask, is there anyplace that does coin raffles.
    I mean where you would buy tickets to a raffle to win a high grade Morgan as an example.
    Of course a legit raffle.
    That's why I ask here instead of a web search.

All over YouTube! But be careful!

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeycoins the but be careful is what scares me.
    I image they should have a good amount of positive comments.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

How could you only pay $50 bucks when it’s worth way more than that in melt value. I agree with, Mark. Take to a dealer and have them check it out.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are the telltale signs to look for that it could be fake?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@crazyhounddog said:
    How could you only pay $50 bucks when it’s worth way more than that in melt value. I agree with, Mark. Take to a dealer and have them check it out.

Hi Joe!
    It cost me $6 a spot to enter races!
    Bought 8 and WON!
    :)

• Options
    edited June 29, 2024 11:40AM

@Morgan13 said:
    @joeycoins the but be careful is what scares me.
    I image they should have a good amount of positive comments.

WhatNot.com

Totally legit. Regulated by the site. All kinds of mystery boxes and raffle games.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@MFeld said:

@joeykoins said:
    Thanks guys.
    ;)

You're probably right mark, about a dealer. However, this coin only Cost me $50!

Your cost in the coin has no bearing at all on its value or on whether any added value from grading exceeds the cost of that grading.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

If truly gold and you wish to sell it, holdered would probably be a benefit. But get it ck'd by a local dealee, I know you have several you frequent.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

100% agree that unless you’re well versed in counterfeit detection you should stay away from raw gold coins. This is especially true of Indians since based on what I’ve read they are one of the most counterfeited gold coins.

As far as reputable close friend, he very well may be reputable as far as honest but is he reputable as far as his knowledge of these coins?

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options

@pmh1nic said:
    100% agree that unless you’re well versed in counterfeit detection you should stay away from raw gold coins. This is especially true of Indians since based on what I’ve read they are one of the most counterfeited gold coins.

As far as reputable close friend, he very well may be reputable as far as honest but is he reputable as far as his knowledge of these coins?

He buys from the same dealer on a daily/weekly basis for yrs. now.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps I am confusing Joey with another board member, yet didn't he have difficulty over a coin deal from another Youtuber a few months back?
    I think it was resolved, but the lesson learned- or so I thought- was there is no steep discounts when it comes to purchasing gold on Youtube or Facebook marketplace, or TikTok.

peacockcoins

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks weird to me but truthfully I’m looking through weird eyes.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2024 2:16PM

@braddick said:
    Perhaps I am confusing Joey with another board member, yet didn't he have difficulty over a coin deal from another Youtuber a few months back?
    I think it was resolved, but the lesson learned- or so I thought- was there is no steep discounts when it comes to purchasing gold on Youtube or Facebook marketplace, or TikTok.

I don’t think you’re confused. But for better or worse, it turns out that the coin being discussed in this thread was a prize, rather than a purchase at a steep discount.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

I think you have the right PCGS board member, but wasn't the coin supposed to be a gem Merc with FB sold for a fraction of its declared value and the seller was going to submit it directly to PCGS and then it "disappeared"?

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@TomB said:

@braddick said:

I think you have the right PCGS board member, but wasn't the coin supposed to be a gem Merc with FB sold for a fraction of its declared value and the seller was going to submit it directly to PCGS and then it "disappeared"?

Yes. But then it reappeared and I think Joey got refunded.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2024 12:06PM

It looks counterfeit to me. Might check out in Dieffenbacher Book (A). Would never buy one raw. If somebody offers raw one possibly a red flag.

At a show years ago a guy was trying shop around bourse complete set in Capital Holder. All counterfeit. Everybody setup he took it to told him they all were fake. No free ride in numismatics. My wager - you got some tuition coming.

If u send in to our hosts let know how goes.

(A) Pimple under the neck could be considered a special mark (fake one). Legend stars not as clean cut as on the genuine. Stars in right section have contours (fake) resulting in a blurred look vs vertical, genuine.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭

Y’all that buy these raw gold pieces are far more braver than I am.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@TomB said:

@braddick said:

Yes. But then it reappeared and I think Joey got refunded.

Yeah, he's right. I got fully refunded.. Different guy.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW... I bought a 1925D Quarter Eagle... raw... from a Forum member that typically sells PMs and collector coins on the BST. I believe this was 2019. When I posted the raw image, I was immediately reminded of how often these things are counterfeited by many knowledgeable Forum members... I did my due diligence beforehand and everything I found pointed to genuine. I ended up having @DelawareDoons take a look at it with Bill Fivazs book in hand... and we couldn't find anything that screamed counterfeit, so I sent it into our hosts. At this point I was just hoping for a Genuine coin... it came back AU58 and is part of my Box of 20... best of luck to you...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

@lkenefic said:
    FWIW... I bought a 1925D Quarter Eagle... raw... from a Forum member that typically sells PMs and collector coins on the BST. I believe this was 2019. When I posted the raw image, I was immediately reminded of how often these things are counterfeited by many knowledgeable Forum members... I did my due diligence beforehand and everything I found pointed to genuine. I ended up having @DelawareDoons take a look at it with Bill Fivazs book in hand... and we couldn't find anything that screamed counterfeit, so I sent it into our hosts. At this point I was just hoping for a Genuine coin... it came back AU58 and is part of my Box of 20... best of luck to you...

Thanks for the encouragement!
    It's funny about the 25D, you mentioned.
    I had the choice between 1909 or 1925D.
    I chose the lower mintage one.
    The 1909!
    Thanks

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2024 8:16AM

@joeykoins said:

@crazyhounddog said:

Hi Joe!
    Bought 8 and WON!

How many spots were there?

There would have to be at least 60 sold spots for the owner to break even.

If there were 100 sold spots even though you won you were taking the worst of it especially taking into consideration the coin might be fake.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go fish.

• Options

@skier07 said:

@joeykoins said:

@crazyhounddog said:

Hi Joe!
    Bought 8 and WON!

If there were 100 sold spots even though you won you were taking the worst of it especially taking into consideration the coin might be fake.

Many steps to take in the game!
    When you win a race (only 10 spots, per race). @ $6 per spot!
    The owner gives you the option. For the winner to either pick out a 1 oz. Silver Coin/Bullion.
    Or to be in the 10 spot pool for the GOLD?
    Once that Gold Pool fills to 10.
    That race is run to determine the winner of the Gold Coin!
    One could have multiple spots in that Gold Race. When I won, I had 3 spots. One of those spots, came in FIRST!
    It took me 8 or 9 attempts, to place the 3 spots in the BIG GOLD RACE.
    Thus, spending $48-$54.
    I can't remember the exact amount of spots I bought?
    ;)

• Options
    edited July 1, 2024 12:38PM

@joeykoins said:

@skier07 said:

@joeykoins said:

@crazyhounddog said:

Hi Joe!
    Bought 8 and WON!

The owner gives you the option. For the winner to either pick out a 1 oz. Silver Coin/Bullion.
    One could have multiple spots in that Gold Race. When I won, I had 3 spots. One of those spots, came in FIRST!
    Thus, spending $48-$54.
    ;)

In other words, there are 100 lottery tickets for one winner.

So, essentially, the dealer is selling silver for $60 per ounce and sold this gold coin for $600.

• Options
    hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 572 ✭✭✭✭

99% of gamblers quit before they win big.

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Thus, spending $48-$54.
    ;)

The seller or whatever you want to call him in this thing is who won.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@coinbuf said:

@joeykoins said:
    Thus, spending $48-$54.
    ;)

In this one case, we BOTH WON!
    ;)

• Options

@joeykoins said:

@coinbuf said:

@joeykoins said:
    Thus, spending $48-$54.
    ;)

;)

Have you entered other "races" (sounds like another word for gambling but ok) where you didn't win anything that this seller promoted?

My Lincoln Registry

• Options

@coinbuf said:

@joeykoins said:

@coinbuf said:

@joeykoins said:
    Thus, spending $48-$54.
    ;)

;)

Have you entered other "races" (sounds like another word for gambling but ok) where you didn't win anything that this seller promoted?

Won many things from this seller!
    As a matter of fact, I'm in 3 more Gold Races, as we speak!

• Options

@joeykoins said:

@coinbuf said:

@joeykoins said:

@coinbuf said:

@joeykoins said:
    Thus, spending $48-$54.
    ;)

;)

Won many things from this seller!
    As a matter of fact, I'm in 3 more Gold Races, as we speak!

Nice sidetrack but you didn't answer my question.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options

If you're asking if I lose?
    Yes, many times.

• Options

@joeykoins said:
    Yes, many times.

So your real "all in cost" to win this time is much higher than the number you posted. As I said this person running the game is the real winner; gambling has always favored the house.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options

@coinbuf said:

@joeykoins said:
    Yes, many times.

So your real "all in cost" to win this time is much higher than the number you posted. As I said this person running the game is the real winner; gambling has always favored the house.

True. But he's having fun. We all choose how we spend our entertainment dollars.

• Options
    edited July 1, 2024 3:19PM

@coinbuf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@coinbuf said:

@joeykoins said:
    Yes, many times.

True. But he's having fun. We all choose how we spend our entertainment dollars.

I agree, but its not right to promote his "friend" without disclosing the real cost to play the game. I'm more surprised that you haven't asked Joey if he is going to properly record his win on his taxes. ;)

Lol. I'm sure he has enough losses to write off against it.

He did eventually disclose the manner of the raffle. That's enough info for me.

There's all kinds of versions of this out there.

P.S. I'm more interested in how the seller does their taxes.

• Options
    edited July 1, 2024 4:03PM

This thread went WAY further than my point!
    GOLD BABY!!!
    :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file