Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Deplorable Dan is a bad influence (NEWP)

lermishlermish Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been searching for a slug with as much originality and detail as possible for a little while. Slugs are not that rare but finding a nice one within my budget has been a challenge. I had a near miss a couple of months ago at GC but that coin, while beautiful and ultra PQ for the grade, set what would be an auction record for several grades higher by quite a bit. I had seen this coin hanging around for some time though.

I saw it at FUN in January where the guys at the David Lawrence table told me how they rebought it from a client after it sold at DLRC in May 2022. The surfaces were spectacular, as original as they come with great color, and very nice details with none of the common planchet issues. There was a noticeable rim ding, an honest, circulated ding, but still there. They were asking more than the last auction price which I felt was much too expensive. Fast forward to CSNS and it was still languishing on the DLRC price lists, perhaps appearing stale to some potential buyers. The coin was offered to me at a ~15% discount to the last price. I was still licking my wounds from the GC auction loss and was not in the mood to buy a very nice but lesser coin. But then the coin popped up in a weekly DLRC auction. I put in a bid at a >20% discount from the original asking price and, fairly surprisingly, I won!

I can't imagine a VF20 in better condition. The only main drawback (the rim ding) is well hidden by the holder. And the feel of holding this heavy chunk of gold in my hands is irreplaceable. I'm as pleased as can be!

I also recently bought some not inexpensive world coins as well. So for the purpose of this thread -> https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/13715536 , my answer must be amended to:

Comments

• Options
    mattnissmattniss Posts: 622 ✭✭✭✭

Great score @lermish, enjoy that newp! Even better that it might be undergraded.

• Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet piece! Congratulations

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

Such a beautiful chunk of gold.
    The cornerpiece to any advanced collection.
    Congratulations!

peacockcoins

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you crack it out a little body work should smooth out the rim ding :D
    The chip where someone tested the gold with their tooth is a good story.
    Nice hunk of gold.

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool!

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderfully original piece! Congrats!

Tom

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great natural look - thanks for sharing.

Would love to own one along with a Pan Pac Octagonal and round. Wouldn’t have to squint like I do with half eagles.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    Inspired70Inspired70 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish. Love that slug! Sounds like you did really on the price also.

Sometimes patience favors the prepared! Congratulations!

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 727 ✭✭✭✭

It has absolutely all the bells and whistles one could want

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. fabulous! I held a VF 20 in my hands raw forty years ago and I’m still in awe. Congratulations on your Beeeeutiful new baby.

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on an excellent piece of chunky, historical gold!

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11, 2024 1:11PM

I have 2 serious questions:
    Is there a reason why they label doesn't have the date?
    Am I correct in assuming that the little chip is what they assayed back in the day?

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Next time bring a bigger gun!

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish
    Conrats on a great coin and seems a great price.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rte592 said:
    I have 2 serious questions:
    Is there a reason why they label doesn't have the date?
    Am I correct in assuming that the little chip is what they assayed back in the day?

Just to add to the correct answer provided by lermish, I also think PCGS's thinking is it is a one year only slug thus the date on the insert was unnecessary.

peacockcoins

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is absolutely spectacular! Congratulations!

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW! Incredible piece of history. I noticed it in the DLRC auction and thought it was very cool, and a great value. Congratulations.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing piece of history. Congratulations.

• Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish
    Congrats on a great pickup!!
    Love it!👍

• Options
    CoinbertCoinbert Posts: 55 ✭✭✭

Congratulations on a great coin at a great price. Glad you got your slug.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Incredible pickup. I agree, with all the coins Dan's been showing he is a bad influence.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 431 ✭✭✭✭

Outstanding and super fantastic.
    I’m so jealous.

YOU SUCK!!!! 👍🏻

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2024 5:28AM

I’ve admired that slug for quite some time and always thought it was priced too high. Great score picking it up at a steep discount.

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful and historical, original and outstanding! Well done, my forum friend. She's a keeper!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish that is a really nice acquisition. Well done sir.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish Congrats on a nice purchase and thanks for showing it. Between @DeplorableDan's auction account and passion for pioneer gold, and now your purchase, I've come to appreciate how historic and cool these slugs are. Thanks!

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    psuman08psuman08 Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

Congrats on your purchase. Those slugs are cool for sure.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:
    @lermish Congrats on a nice purchase and thanks for showing it. Between @DeplorableDan's auction account and passion for pioneer gold, and now your purchase, I've come to appreciate how historic and cool these slugs are. Thanks!

Thank you! For me at least, they scratch several itches. I'm from and live in Northern California and the local history is neat for me. The designs of many of the coins themselves are beautiful and unique. (Those are both significant reasons why my primary series is trade dollars.) Also, I'm a bit of a rarity snob.

I don't think I'll be putting together a comprehensive pioneer type set but there are plenty of other neat types that can be added for a fraction of the cost of a slug (never cheap per se, but not new car prices).

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet acquisition! I need to keep my eyes open to such opportunities too.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any slug is a candidate dream coin for most US collectors. It's always been one of my favorites from looking at the Red Book over and over in my younger years.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful slug! I've never owned one, but now you have me thinking about it again.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file