Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Has Fixed Turnaround Times

ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most posts here are to bag on PCGS but I wanted to acknowledge that they've really improved and fixed their turnaround time issues. Customer service also seems to be more responsive now too. Anyway, as evidence here is a snapshot from my orders page showing turnaround times are pretty much under 1 month. I'll also note that my shipments tend to be logged/processed the day after they receive them.

The one order I have crossed out was an abnormal situation that should not be considered.

Comments

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,950 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an economy received 4/5 still in grading. Includes some varieties and GoldShield.

• Options
    Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 439 ✭✭✭✭

I respectfully disagree. I think that the only “bagging” that’s been consistently, and only some what recently, going on has to do with TVs. I think a lot of folks while not too happy with TATs are accepting that it’s just the way it is. There’s also been many a post lately showing remarkably quick TATs.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 3 coin regular sub in grading since 4/12.

• Options
    Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 439 ✭✭✭✭

Last I looked regular level TATs were 45 days. So, 9 weeks would be about the middle of this month. I’m not saying that’s great. But since they’re doing around 1/4 millions coins a month….

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you sure they “fixed” it, rather than being a result of a decline in submissions?

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Economy TATs have been quicker than Regular lately.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aside from $5 what is the difference between Regular and Modern value.

Should I be using modern instead of regular and saving $5 on each coin?

I entered in a 23 coin sub today and used regular again force of habit but not before going back and forth between wondering if I wanted the modern guys or the regular guys grading my moderns.

• Options
    edited June 2, 2024 6:03PM

@Coinscratch said:

I entered in a 23 coin sub today and used regular again force of habit but not before going back and forth between wondering if I wanted the modern guys or the regular guys grading my moderns.

Use Modern Value for sure if all of your coins are 1965+ and under $300 value.

Added: Economy is when your coins are older and regular is when your coins are higher value.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I guess that’s the rub because I valued some as low as 65 and a couple others I had maxed at 2500 because according to the grade should value over 4,000.
    I assumed they would charge me accordingly if just by chance those two hit the grade.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2024 7:53PM

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    Are you sure they “fixed” it, rather than being a result of a decline in submissions?

This.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

I find it difficult when coins have guide values that go from $100 to $600 in the next grade or similar, which I fid freqyently near top pops in moderns.> @Coinscratch said:

I find it difficult when coins have guide values that go from $100 to $600 in the next grade or similar, which I find frequently near top pops in moderns.

• Options

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

I don't care what the cause is, I'm happy that they have decent TATs.

@davewesen said:
    I find it difficult when coins have guide values that go from $100 to $600 in the next grade or similar, which I fid freqyently near top pops in moderns.> @Coinscratch said:

I find it difficult when coins have guide values that go from $100 to $600 in the next grade or similar, which I find frequently near top pops in moderns.

I always wonder if there's grader bias based on what tier its submitted under. I'd like to think the coin gets the grade it deserves, but if they're thinking that you didn't think it was worth that much, maybe I should go with the lower grade? I worry about that whether it's legit or not.

• Options

Do they have grading teams specifically for each level and do graders know what level and/or coin estimated values by submitter?

• Options

@davewesen said:
    Do they have grading teams specifically for each level and do graders know what level and/or coin estimated values by submitter?

Someone else will answer but I believe the answer is yet. I'm pretty sure the graders at least know the grading tier of the submission.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2024 4:11AM

https://www.pcgs.com/statistics I'm glad PCGS provides this page, which NGC does not. I've heard there are different graders for the top tiers.

NGC has their current turn-around times: https://www.ngccoin.com/submit/services-fees/ngc/ I don't know how long they are taking for opening packages which has been over a month.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    I don't know how long they are taking for opening packages which has been over a month.

Over the last 2 months, NGC has been consistently taking only 1 day to log in packages/submissions after receipt of the package. Exceptional service

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file