Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Decisions, Decisions?

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 1, 2024 11:01AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi guys,
I'm in a small dilemma. I can't decide whether to cross this somewhat rare Franklin variety to our host holder?
The 1953D Bugs Bunny 401 variety.
You see, in the current NGC holder. The variety has that exclusive, "TOP POP!" designation. With the ms 64 grade (non FBL). Here's where my dilemma comes in.
Even though the NGC variety is a Top Pop 64. It only books for approximately $200!
Now, in the PCGS holders, same grade and variety. PCGS values it at an astounding, $450! Sure, I get it about the Price Guide issue. Always lower valued than the guides show.
So, here is where my decision becomes difficult to decide.
I would love to crack it out to send to our host, to try to receive that higher value variety, according to PCGS!
However, I would really hate to lose the "TOP POP" designation! PCGS in the same grade has more, plus, higher grades than NGC has it. PCGS has a population of 25, with at least 8 or 9 in higher grades than my 64!
So, what do you guys think I should do?
KEEP, in the NGC holder, with the TOP POP, with a lower price value.
Or
CROSS to the PCGS holder, where it can be valued at a higher price?
Remember, in the NGC slab. There are only 3 others in that 64 grade, NO HIGHER!
or go for the $$$$?
😆
Thank you guys.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

Money talks,,,,,,,

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2024 11:05AM

IMHO one cares about an NGC top pop when PCGS has higher graded examples. maybe registry players but that's something you have to examine with NGC comps.

Project your targeted sell price if it were in a PCGS holder, then subtract the projected sell price in its current holder. If the remaining difference exceeds the cost of crossover by at least $100, I would at least try to cross. That said, it's up to you to do the price research to see if it makes sense, and PCGS can be stubborn when it comes to crossovers. NGCs reputation in the marketplace is possibly the worst its ever been, so I try to cross them all these days.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options

@GRANDAM said:
    Money talks,,,,,,,

I know!
    But to think that NGC TOP Pop!
    I'm thinking, and hoping of course. That It will soon grow higher in value at NGC?
    :*

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2024 11:07AM

It's so weird!
    Why is PCGS pricing it so much higher?
    In which, my opinion, it SHOULD!
    Scarce Bugs Bunny variety.
    "The Booger"

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@GRANDAM said:
    Money talks,,,,,,,

I know!
    But to think that NGC TOP Pop!
    I'm thinking, and hoping of course. That It will soon grow higher in value at NGC?

TOP POPS don't always stay as TOP POPS,,,,,,

GrandAm :)
  • Options

Good Point!
    ;)

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

You mentioned price guide values, but what about actual sales

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

Yes Mark, sure. I checked ebay.
    It seems to be all over the place?
    Now, in final sales. I really haven't checked for final Results.
    Thanks

• Options
    edited June 1, 2024 11:16AM

My actual coin!
    That "6", means total in that variety at lower grades too.

• Options

@joeykoins said:
    Thanks

Joey, do you only look at eBay results?
    Actual sales are usually far more relevant than price guide values.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited June 1, 2024 11:22AM

@DeplorableDan said:
    IMHO one cares about an NGC top pop when PCGS has higher graded examples. maybe registry players but that's something you have to examine with NGC comps.

Project your targeted sell price if it were in a PCGS holder, then subtract the projected sell price in its current holder. If the remaining difference exceeds the cost of crossover by at least $100, I would at least try to cross. That said, it's up to you to do the price research to see if it makes sense, and PCGS can be stubborn when it comes to crossovers. NGCs reputation in the marketplace is possibly the worst its ever been, so I try to cross them all these days.

Thanks
    Yes, I did consider the money differences to cross and grade.
    My first intentions were to Cross. However, let PCGS know that I want it crossed only if it would remain a 64 or higher.
    If not the same grade or higher. Forget it.
    Right now, I have the coin on Ebay priced at, $400!

• Options

@MFeld said:

@joeykoins said:
    Thanks

Joey, do you only look at eBay results?
    Actual sales are usually far more relevant than price guide values.

You're right!
    I should first check the actual sales.
    ;)

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Demand is an area you seem to be ignoring, how many people want that coin in a P64 holder when they can get it in a higher grade. Few registry players want a lower graded example, my two cents, unless I want to sell now I would wait until another higher graded example is graded at NGC before I consider crossing. Honestly, I suspect you have already sent it to PCGS as you highly value that plastic.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

😆
    No, haven't sent yet.
    Thanks
    Sure, it is in fact only 64, but...
    In a scarce variety changes that!
    This might be a bad example?
    Say you find a 1913 V Nickel.
    Who cares what grade. It's the focus on the variety.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2024 11:45AM

@joeykoins said:
    😆
    No, haven't sent yet.
    Thanks

Joey, I'm going to pretend that you didn't just compare a bugs bunny franklin half to a 1913 V nickel 😅. It looks like PCGS alone has close to 170 of them graded, and that's not even taking into consideration what NGC has or what's still raw. apples to oranges.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options

@DeplorableDan said:

@joeykoins said:
    😆
    No, haven't sent yet.
    Thanks

Joey, I'm going to pretend that you didn't just compare a bugs bunny franklin half to a 1913 V nickel 😅. It looks like PCGS alone has close to 170 of them graded, and that's not even taking into consideration what NGC has or what's still raw.

Joey, I, on the other hand, am not going to pretend that. Your 1913 Liberty nickel example wasn’t a “bad” one. It was among the worst I could imagine. Shame on you!

😉

• Options

@MFeld said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@joeykoins said:
    😆
    No, haven't sent yet.
    Thanks

Joey, I'm going to pretend that you didn't just compare a bugs bunny franklin half to a 1913 V nickel 😅. It looks like PCGS alone has close to 170 of them graded, and that's not even taking into consideration what NGC has or what's still raw.

Joey, I, on the other hand, am not going to pretend that. Your 1913 Liberty nickel example wasn’t a “bad” one. It was among the worst I could imagine. Shame on you!

😉

As hard as it is to admit. You're correct. 😆🤣
    Talk about comparing "Apples to Oranges, huh?"
    😆

• Options

Also. I think I was also wrong calling the 1913 V Nickel an variety. I think it is actually an error, no?

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sell it and move on. Don't start spend money gambling on crossover grades, especially on coins that may have a rather thin market.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Also. I think I was also wrong calling the 1913 V Nickel an variety. I think it is actually an error, no?

It is NOT an error. It might be a fantasy or shenanigans but what would the error be?

I also wouldn't exactly call the Bugs Bunny "scarce". I've owned a half dozen of them and I don't seek them out or look for them. There are thousands of them out there, most of which are raw because it doesn't pay to slab most of them.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Sell it and move on. Don't start spend money gambling on crossover grades, especially on coins that may have a rather thin market.

Why would he sell it? He likes it.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@291fifth said:

Why would he sell it? He likes it.

You're right. I do like it but the right price could change that?
    ;)

• Options
    edited June 1, 2024 2:06PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@joeykoins said:

It is NOT an error. It might be a fantasy or shenanigans but what would the error be?

I also wouldn't exactly call the Bugs Bunny "scarce". I've owned a half dozen of them and I don't seek them out or look for them. There are thousands of them out there, most of which are raw because it doesn't pay to slab most of them.

The reason I say scarce is because it really shouldn't be called, "Bugs Bunny".
    Nowhere in his teeth area is being the vocal point.
    It's his nose, instead.
    "The Booger" name is more descriptive.
    Plus, this so called "Bugs Bunny" has way more value than the common Bugs Bunnies.

• Options
    TrickleChargeTrickleCharge Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

Successfully lobby Whitman to include the 1953-D 'Booger' in their books and you will do far better than any crossover attempt.

• Options
    Married2CoinsMarried2Coins Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Hi guys,
    I'm in a small dilemma. I can't decide whether to cross this somewhat rare Franklin variety to our host holder?
    The 1953D Bugs Bunny 401 variety.
    You see, in the current NGC holder. The variety has that exclusive, "TOP POP!" designation. With the ms 64 grade (non FBL). Here's where my dilemma comes in.
    Even though the NGC variety is a Top Pop 64. It only books for approximately $200!
    Now, in the PCGS holders, same grade and variety. PCGS values it at an astounding, $450! Sure, I get it about the Price Guide issue. Always lower valued than the guides show.
    So, here is where my decision becomes difficult to decide.
    I would love to crack it out to send to our host, to try to receive that higher value variety, according to PCGS!
    However, I would really hate to lose the "TOP POP" designation! PCGS in the same grade has more, plus, higher grades than NGC has it. PCGS has a population of 25, with at least 8 or 9 in higher grades than my 64!
    So, what do you guys think I should do?
    KEEP, in the NGC holder, with the TOP POP, with a lower price value.
    Or
    CROSS to the PCGS holder, where it can be valued at a higher price?
    Remember, in the NGC slab. There are only 3 others in that 64 grade, NO HIGHER!
    or go for the $$$$?
    😆
    Thank you guys.

It's real simple. Your coin has a value. Some are willing to pay more for the exact same coin in the exact same condition depending on the slab. I'm sure a better coin than yours exists in an ANACS slab for half the price. LOL. Go find it and cross that one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file