Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ghosted on eBay

So many BIN items we list for sale lately are unseen by the public for as much as 24-48 hours on the bay. Has anyone else noticed this? The auctions go live immediately but the BIN’s sporadically get ghosted for over a day + with 0 view's.

Comments

• Options
    CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 473 ✭✭✭

Propagation. I'm sure eBay isn't just 1 server. It probably takes time for their servers to sync. BIN listings are probably just lower priority. Or maybe your expectation of interest in your listings is just too high.

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the same issue with some cards. For some reason there are certain cards that always take 24 or so hours to show up. One of the cards is a 1989-90 Fleer Michael Jordan. I have called eBay about this and was told that there is a glitch in the eBay system that causes this. I assume they don't know how to fix the problem since it is still happening.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait until they get all the listings through the PSA vault when freshly graded cards are immediately listed.

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭

There’s a thread on this over in the Blowout forums - the theory there is that popular cards are essentially “throttled” to prevent an over-population of listings.

Jim

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t list too often but when I did, if I’d list say 5 items, at least two wouldn’t show right away. So, I asked eBay about it.

Basically, there are a certain percentage of BIN listings that are required to be captured by an internal algorithm and ‘verified’ before they are listed. This is part of due diligence known as ‘sampling’ and since it’s basically impossible to manually check ALL the listings a representative and random sample is pulled and checked so that eBay can legitimately say they monitor their listings.

While I didn’t ask eBay about it, I imagine if you pay for a promoted listing you can probably sidestep the algorithm.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    CrashingwavesCrashingwaves Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

I have had the opposite experience where my older BIN listings stop showing up in searches. Have had it happen several times and eBay support acknowledged the issue but wouldn't say why or offer a solution other than for me to make a new listing.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am picking up Puckett cards right now. I regularly do a search (using my phone) "Puckett psa 10", then I sort by lowest price and look for cards I don't have at a price I am willing to pay.

Occasionally, I'll look for a specific card, for example "1988 Puckett Fleer MVP psa 10" and the results show cards that didn't show up in the first search.

Not sure if this is similar to what others are experiencing, but as a seller, I would not be happy about this.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭

Problem is it’s doing it on some auctions now. So for 1-2 two days some auctions are getting no views until there’s 4-5 days left.

The point of an auction is to get as many eyeballs as possible, if eBay has an authenticity guarantee why do they need to check an item before letting it go live?

Imagine consigning to an auction house and nobody can see the card for the first couple days. There’s so many collectors who view newly listed items and can’t see it.

• Options
    CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 473 ✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2024 6:02PM

There are so many auctions running that it's not hard to believe that hardly anyone is looking at auctions ending a long time from now. I either sort by newly listed buy it now or auctions ending soonest. Unless I'm looking for something specific.

I do get a lot of junk in my searches now. eBay makes money by getting you to look at things that aren't exactly what you're searching for.

There are a whole lot of items being sold on eBay. Likely billions of listings. Many millions of listings being created every day. It's a lot different than an auction house that has a couple hundred auctions running this month.

When you're talking about numbers that big processing time does come in to play. Have you ever asked your computer a question that took it hours to answer?

I noticed this week that if a seller is away their listings wont show up in my searches.