Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GTG On My 1893 Gold Eagle "Grade Revealed"

HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 26, 2024 12:40PM in U.S. Coin Forum

After viewing this Gold Eagle in hand the grade from PCGS seems to be somewhat conservative.
CAC has put their green seal of approval on this one.

Looks like the consensus is MS62PL with 7 guesses followed by 5 guessing MS61PL which is the correct grade given by PCGS.
Other guesses,
MS63 RDGS 1
MS62 1
PR58 1
PR Details 1

I would give it MS62PL after comparing it with other graded 62PL's that are posted in Coinfacts.
Thank you for all your nice opinions on the coin and playing along.

Comments

• Options
    CircCamCircCam Posts: 246 ✭✭✭✭✭

62PL would be my guess. Beautiful coin.

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did it straight grade? With all those marks in the field, I'm worried that PCGS assigned it a details grade. My guess is that PCGS graded it Proof Details, but it is probably a 61-62. And I realize that I might be wrong calling it a proof.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    ShurkeShurke Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

I’ll guess PR60.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

61pl

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options
    JerseyBJerseyB Posts: 85 ✭✭✭

Beautiful. Looks 62 PL by the trueview. The marks on the bust certainly don't affect this ones eye appeal.

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chatter may hold grade down, but I’d say 62 PL. Still quite a nice coin.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish said:
    Nice!

61 PL

Plus 1

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS62 PL

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

61 PL

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭✭✭

Proof 58.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2024 6:00PM

62PL. Not clean enough for a 63.

• Options
    zer0manzer0man Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

62PL

DOG acolyte

• Options
    dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

It's an eagle so expect the chatter, MS62PL

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

63 RDGS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

61PL

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    VicPortlandVicPortland Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

I can see yours as a 62. I have an 1892 MS62+ PL w/CAC green bean (see attached) which is my favorite coin. It isn't the highest grade and not worth the most but each time I look at it, I think it is amazing! I'm still not sure how these gold PL coins were made. If it was just a matter of the first few coins struck after dies were polished, then it seems like there should be some for each year and mint, but if you look at the pops, that just doesn't seem to be the case. I wonder if these were the result of single striking leftover proof planchets on freshly polished dies? In any case, there are very few of these - especially with a CAC sticker or in a CAC slab. Enjoy!

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like I’m late to the party, but I would have guessed 62 PL.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

I probably would have guessed 62PL had you not said "PCGS seems to have been conservative". Might be worth a regrade if there's a decent spread.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VicPortland said:
    I can see yours as a 62. I have an 1892 MS62+ PL w/CAC green bean (see attached) which is my favorite coin. It isn't the highest grade and not worth the most but each time I look at it, I think it is amazing! I'm still not sure how these gold PL coins were made. If it was just a matter of the first few coins struck after dies were polished, then it seems like there should be some for each year and mint, but if you look at the pops, that just doesn't seem to be the case. I wonder if these were the result of single striking leftover proof planchets on freshly polished dies? In any case, there are very few of these - especially with a CAC sticker or in a CAC slab. Enjoy!

Given what we know about PL/DMPL Morgans, they're likely the result of over-basining of the dies. That would explain their sporadic and scarce appearances.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file