Home U.S. Coin Forum

Are these 1940 1941 Mercury dimes with toning worth getting graded???

Kg4leiKg4lei Posts: 2
edited May 25, 2024 8:23PM in U.S. Coin Forum

**** Update Thanks everyone for your input and agree with everyone and see the issues. I did try cleaning 2 of them a little and wanted some input. Thanks again

I believe I posted this as a discussion by mistake, I just had a question if these Mercury dimes, 1940 and 41 no mint mark (visible) would be worth grading. They have a nice toning but with some of that black toning as well. I'm trying to determine also if those are FULL bands vs SPLIT bands. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with what's been said here. The center horizonal bands on some of them look to be full split bands.

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bsshog40 said:
    IF they were mine, I'd do a quick dip and get rid of that black. Getting really close to environmental damage.

That black won't dip off well, too late stage. They'll just be trashed after that.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:

@bsshog40 said:
    IF they were mine, I'd do a quick dip and get rid of that black. Getting really close to environmental damage.

That black won't dip off well, too late stage. They'll just be trashed after that.

Maybe, but if they go any longer, they're gonna be trashed anyway.

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bsshog40 said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@bsshog40 said:

I doubt they will continue to tone or get deeper in color. Toning doesn't just happen and it's not a disease state. These coins got this deeply toned or colored because they were in an environment that was conducive to it, but once removed it should halt the process.

As is, I don't think these are great dipping candidates since the color looks so terminal, but once in a while coins like this dip out well. Just don't expect it.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Are these 1940 1941 Mercury dimes with toning worth getting graded???”

No.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very big NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

All glory is fleeting.

@bsshog40 said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@bsshog40 said:

Put them into 2x2's or a plastic tube, problem solved.

• JWPJWP Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

I might try dipping just 1 mercury and go from there. If you decide to send to a TPG, the shipping there and the return shipping and insurance fees would be costly. You would then have to pay around $20 plus for coin you wanted graded. Maybe to dipping 1, but not cost effective to send in and get details coins back if you are lucky.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

The white balance appears to be off on the photos, so they may look better in hand. Not worth grading, but fine in an album or 2x2 holders.

• KiwiNumiKiwiNumi Posts: 107 ✭✭✭

Looks like some of them would get full bands designation if they do end up straight grading. However, as others have said they are not worth grading unless you could get rid of the black toning (unlikely.)

• ShurkeShurke Posts: 324 ✭✭✭✭

Even without the black toning, Mercs from the 40s generally aren’t worth grading unless they’re going to grade out at 67 or higher.

@Shurke said:
    Even without the black toning, Mercs from the 40s generally aren’t worth grading unless they’re going to grade out at 67 or higher.

Yep, 6FB or 7 is really what you're looking for on most dates in the 40s. And that's assuming you have enough pieces to justify grading $50-$60 coins... So you're looking at bulk quantities for that to be true.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn’t send them in. They are too dark, IMHO.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• goldengolden Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

• Thank you again everyone for your answers. I definitely see the issues. However I did experiment with cleaning 2 of the coins a little Was wondering what everyone thought?

Thanks again

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

They look like the luster is somewhat impaired. What did you use to clean them?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file