Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2024 Heritage disappointment

So I've been quite excited about the new release of 2024 Heritage in the 1975 design as it is one of my favorite sets from my childhood. I decided that I would put more funds towards this set than any I have in the past for heritage. This picture represents 2 mega boxes, 6 blasters and 1 hanger. Bought over 3 separate shopping trips at two different locations over about a month time frame. The stacks are broken down from 1-99, 100-199, etc up to 500. The stack on the far right is the 1-99 stack. All the others are pretty similar but how is it possible that I get so few cards from 1-99? Certainly makes it hard to put a set together. If it had been a one box glitch I would say OK, but over this many and this timeframe I just don't get it. Frustrating. The hanger I bought today and got 2 from the 1-99 out of the 35 cards in the box. I know this is a first world problem and there are bigger problems out there but the whole stack of 1-99 only has 15 cards and 3 of them are the same guy!

Comments

• Options
    PastaBoyPastaBoy Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

The reason is that #1-81,82-99, and 407 are all SPs. For whatever reason, they are the first 100 vs the last 100 (401-500) that seemed the usual before.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately the ability to put together a complete set the last 3 or 4 years has become harder and harder. I gave up after having a hard time with 2021 and that was after having to buy a supplemental stash of opened cards from another board member on the BST.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    GoTigersGoTigers Posts: 52 ✭✭✭

That’s a bummer to hear. I didn’t realize this. I’ll probably buy a few more boxes but the thrill is now gone. Thanks

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoTigers said:
    That’s a bummer to hear. I didn’t realize this. I’ll probably buy a few more boxes but the thrill is now gone. Thanks

In general at least 3 or 4 of us on here get stuck as well, you might want to post in the BST, it's possible you get a large box of Heritage for almost free.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t get the complaining. There have always been 100 short prints in the 1-500 series. Only change this time is which 100 cards. I still love this product.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heritage checklist

Hiya GT

I'm a big fan of heritage - been doing the set since 2004. I'm not here to sell you on the product but what you got is pretty much typical.

I put the checklist link up there if anyone is interested.

The SP's which except for for #407 are low numbers at a rate of 1 per 3 packs. In blasters of 8 packs one can expect 3 but on occasion will be only 2.

I pretty much do the set with blasters now since the rate of auto's per case are on the low side compared to relics.

One perennial problem I experience is rough cuts - but hasn't dissuaded me from doing the set.

I have decided to consider my set complete without all the SP's.

One guess? If compared to 20 yrs ago? I think they're producing way more cards. I'm basing this on the number of high number chromes I get compared to 2004.

Still. This is a favorite of mine along with Bowman, TChrome and TSC.

Good luck with the set if you choose to finish it. PM me if I can help - plus I'll make it as painless as possible on the commons since I don't need them collecting dust.

Mike
  • Options
    HarnessracingHarnessracing Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2024 10:35AM

Not a Heritage collector but in the past 401-500 were the SP, now it’s 1-99 and 407? Seems silly

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    I don’t get the complaining. There have always been 100 short prints in the 1-500 series. Only change this time is which 100 cards. I still love this product.

Yeah that's the one to collect as far as I am concerned.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2024 11:25AM

@Harnessracing said:
    Not a Heritage collector but in the past 401-500 were the SP, now it’s 1-99 and 407? Seems silly

Just to be clear for those who don't collect this issue? #407 is "instead" of #82. The short run is 1 - 100 (less 82).

Mike
  • Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:

@Harnessracing said:

Just to be clear for those who don't collect this issue? #407 is "instead" of #82. The short run is 1 - 100 (less 82).

I wonder if Topps chose these specific numbers to be SP as an homage to the 1975 set. I seem to recall hearing that #1-132 were more scarce than the rest of the numbers in the 1975 Topps set. Card #407 in the 1975 set is the only card of a pinch runner (Herb Washington).

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 791 ✭✭✭

This isn't the first year Heritage has employed an odd placement to SP's. Obviously the string of 400's is over but whatever, still an iconic & colorful set.

I have some dupes and an SP or two to share if anyone wants to email me to work out a trade to finish off the base set without having to plunk more down on packs.

Website = https://www.flcardtrader.com/heritage.html

Email me direct at flcardtrader@yahoo.com if interested.

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭

@flcardtrader said:
    This isn't the first year Heritage has employed an odd placement to SP's. Obviously the string of 400's is over but whatever, still an iconic & colorful set.

I have some dupes and an SP or two to share if anyone wants to email me to work out a trade to finish off the base set without having to plunk more down on packs.

Website = https://www.flcardtrader.com/heritage.html

Email me direct at flcardtrader@yahoo.com if interested.

PM'd you.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

Second only to the 2022 issue disappointment from a design perspective.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am somewhat surprised that many have had issues with this years Heritage. It seemed there was such high anticipation/hype in the hobby for it's release. Have read many disappointed comments throughout the net.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

am I the only one who thought this topic had to do with Heritage's latest Auction?

It's the singer not the song - Peter Townshend (1972)

• Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭

I, too, was excited for 2024 Heritage, but especially the Minis. Having been out of the hobby for most of the last 10+ years I really should’ve paid more attention. I didn’t realize the Minis were a Topps.com exclusive and’ they sold out at 50/box before I could get any. They’re readily available on eBay for >$100/box but that’s not happening.

Since I couldn’t get in on the minis I decided to take a run at the full size master set. I’ve purchased and ripped ~20 Mega/Giant boxes, a half dozen blasters, a half dozen hangers and about a dozen jumbo packs. I’m still 39 cards away from the master set (26 SPs and 13 inserts). I haven’t bought any hobby because you get far more bang for your buck as a set builder from the mega/giant boxes. I bought a mega yesterday and it had 1 insert I needed and that’s it. Guess it’s time to look for trades or buy the last ones I need. It’s a fun rip and a great reminder of why I stopped modern set building.

• Options
    DodgerfanjohnDodgerfanjohn Posts: 490 ✭✭✭

I’m gonna sound rougher than I should here, but really you guys need to pay better attention to the market. Last 5 years prices ultimately dropped after release. In 2022 and 2023 hobby boxes dipped as low as $55 and hobby cases as low as $600. That’s why I did last year, wait until Black Friday and bought a hobby case for $600. Fwiw I have collected Heritage since 2012 when I got back in the hobby, but went back and so I have master sets from every year.

This year, already hobby boxes are down from $99-109 at release to $80 and cases down to $960.

Retail heritage is generally awful and buying a case gets you close to a master set while also providing cards worth something that can be sold to mitigate cost or also collected.

Spend $600 for retail and you get cards. Buy a hobby case for the same price and you get boxloader, probably 4 base sets, a near full set likely missing 20-30 SP’s, a few autos, image variations, black borders, 8-10 relics, and some other goodies.

My best cards pulled were 7 of the image variations, Michael Harris rookie auto, and an Aaron Judge mini /100.

I intend to do the same this year.

• Options

I don’t disagree, John, and I didn’t find your comments to be rough at all. I’ve historically been a hobby-only guy but tried something different this time around. My LCS options are still sitting at $100+ for hobby boxes with limited availability. The LCS who has the most does breaks with cases to move them ASAP so there isn’t much inventory locally to pick up boxes/cases like the old days when I collected more consistently.

The Target mega boxes (called Giant boxes, I guess) include 3 red border parallels and those have been fun. For a moment I thought about trying to build that set, too, since I have ~60 of them with no duplicates bit I decided against it because I prefer the colors of the base set instead. I’ve pulled one auto, the relics (two of which were hand numbered), a couple black & white variations, one color swap and about 20 white border variations. Nothing to write home about but fun nonetheless.

I’m planning to preorder a hobby case of the high number set once available to see how that works out. The base set has George Brett autos so I’m hoping they have Robin Yount in the high numbers.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t have a LCS so I always buy retail and then do some trading and I end up with everything I want. Retail isn’t always garbage. I’ve hit two 1/1 superfractors in the last 7 years, red ink and other rare goodies.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭✭

Can we please address the elephant in the room about this set? How in the name of Yogi Berra are the MVP cards not in numerical order by year? I can’t possibly be the only one who loses sleep over this?

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

@detroitfan2 said:
    Can we please address the elephant in the room about this set? How in the name of Yogi Berra are the MVP cards not in numerical order by year? I can’t possibly be the only one who loses sleep over this?

Wow I haven’t opened my two boxes yet. That is crazy and dumb. I was hoping they would pick up starting with 1975 instead of having 70 something MVP cards. I imagine every pack has 2 of them.

• Options
    PatriotTradingPatriotTrading Posts: 222 ✭✭✭

@waxman2745 said:

@Stone193 said:

@Harnessracing said:

I wonder if Topps chose these specific numbers to be SP as an homage to the 1975 set. I seem to recall hearing that #1-132 were more scarce than the rest of the numbers in the 1975 Topps set. Card #407 in the 1975 set is the only card of a pinch runner (Herb Washington).

Wasn't Herb the most difficult card to attain in PSA 10 over a certain period of time? I recall it being one of the most expensive either in regular or mini versions.

• Options

The Topps mini set is pretty awesome. Limited release and those pink 1/1's.

• Options

I'd also like to add that Topps Heritage is the most popular set that's been purchased from me on eBay particular using Standard Envelope of any year I add. I'm also hoping for a price drop and may actually do a Chrome Refractor Set.

• Options

@detroitfan2 said:

I sleep much better now that I disregarded the numbering on the back and organized that portion of my set logically. It was certainly a head scratcher. Did they do this intentionally or was it a complete lack of QC?

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭✭

Gumby I was convinced they were going to be corrected variations. Forget the hall of famer autograph numbered to 5, I’d pay good money to have the mvp card variations with the logical card number on the back 😉

• Options

@detroitfan2 said:
    Gumby I was convinced they were going to be corrected variations. Forget the hall of famer autograph numbered to 5, I’d pay good money to have the mvp card variations with the logical card number on the back 😉

You probably had Topps at “I’d pay good money…” Other QC issues I’ve noticed is that the red border cards in the Target Giant boxes all say “White Border”. There’s also an error on the back of the white and red border variations for Brice Turang. His middle name “Craig” is spelled correctly on his base card but on the back of the whites and red border variations it is spelled “Carig”. Lots of eBay listings trying to get a mint for the error but I doubt Topps will fix it. Turns out the sellers will probably only get a thin mint.