Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Poor 1 in old small Anacs slab - anyone ever see another one?

U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 16, 2024 7:53PM in U.S. Coin Forum

A big thanks to @AlanSki for this cool Morgan! It’s the only PO 1 I’ve seen in a small white Anacs slab.
And I know there is no date (which some consider necessary to get a straight grade) but I think this is as good as it gets for a PO 1 example in these holders.

Has anyone seen one (graded PO 1) with a date or another like this with no date?

Comments

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2024 8:07PM

B) Nope, only the one I sold you. However, there may be one in the old ANACS thread.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't seen one but they are apparently out there. ANACS has them listed in their pop reports but we can't tell if they're in soap bars slabs.

I also believe a true PO-1 needs a date.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:
    I haven't seen one but they are apparently out there. ANACS has them listed in their pop reports but we can't tell if they're in soap bars slabs.

I also believe a true PO-1 needs a date.

I have seen a few in the yellow Anacs holders and now one more small white in another resurfaced thread here.

• Options

@U1chicago - I pretty much like anything in those small soap bars!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 710 ✭✭✭✭

Oakstar,
    what you really should like is any small white holder with 6 digits or less, since the 6 digits were older when ANACS was truly the conservative grading company. The 7 digit holder is much more recent when ANACS was extremely loose imo

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

I have some to sell. Need a 1908-S in 63BN?

• Options

@AlanSki said:

@OAKSTAR said:

I have some to sell. Need a 1908-S in 63BN?

Thanks but I already have one. 🤣

• Options

@RobertScotLover said:
    Oakstar,
    what you really should like is any small white holder with 6 digits or less, since the 6 digits were older when ANACS was truly the conservative grading company. The 7 digit holder is much more recent when ANACS was extremely loose imo

You mean 6 digits on the label like this?

• Options
    edited May 16, 2024 9:11PM

@OAKSTAR said:

@RobertScotLover said:
    Oakstar,

You mean 6 digits on the label like this?

I like the 6 digit and under. They seem to be the most conservative graded IMO. However, caveat emptor always applies.

• Options

@braddick said:
    The OP's Lowball is cool. A lot of these worn coins are not problem free and show stains and evidence of mishandling that make the overall presentation unattractive.
    The ANACS PO1 shown has the dove gray, hard and smooth surfaces that re desirable.

On a side note: ICG also grades/slabs these no date Morgans (and Peace dollars).

The OP’s coin is actually attractively toned light pastels. I think I have a video saved I can post later today.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

^
    I'm digging it. A totally cool Lowball, for sure.
    Does it slightly rattle in the slab? Sometimes these get worn to where they will rotate either in a holder or in an album.

peacockcoins

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 710 ✭✭✭✭

Oakstar,
    What Alanski said is correct most of the time imo

• Options

Here is the video

• Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

The only cartwheel that I see in the video is from the reflection from the overhead lights, (LOL) and the number on the population report of 19 must have been from the owner of that coin resubmitting it for an upgrade, one thing for sure it spent a Lot of Time in someone's pocket. Great Pocket Piece.

• Options

@1Bufffan said:
    The only cartwheel that I see in the video is from the reflection from the overhead lights, (LOL) and the number on the population report of 19 must have been from the owner of that coin resubmitting it for an upgrade, one thing for sure it spent a Lot of Time in someone's pocket. Great Pocket Piece.

Note that the population report includes all generations, so most of those are the yellow slabs.

And yes the only cartwheel is the light in my video. :D

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2024 8:20AM

Picked this Half Cent up on Teletrade over 28 years ago. Lousy pic, but you can faintly make out the date.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file