Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this a train track cent?

Noticed a similar picture in another thread. It is very thin. Weight is 2.9g. Can't make out the date other than 196? D mint mark.

Comments

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2024 1:50PM

It looks more like a dryer coin. Put it on top of another cent and see if the diameter is smaller.
    A train track cent would be completely flattened.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2024 2:13PM

I think it is an acid-eroded coin and/or flattened via mechanical abrasion.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dryer coin.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2024 2:35PM

No.... train track coins are flattened like the ones that @OAKSTAR posted... I created a number of these as a kid...

Edited for punctuation...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

same size as a regular cent but much thinner. Thanks All!

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:
    No train track coins are flattened like the ones that @OAKSTAR posted... I created a number of these as a kid...

Wanta bet?

https://www.capecentralhigh.com/perry-county/coins-on-the-train-track/

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@lkenefic said:
    No train track coins are flattened like the ones that @OAKSTAR posted... I created a number of these as a kid...

Wanta bet?

I assume he missed a comma, as in "No, train track coins are flattened....".

• Options

Sorry about that... missing punctuation!

Every coin I put on a train track looks like the ones that @OAKSTAR posted.

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

@JBK said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@lkenefic said:

Wanta bet?

I think it would be a period, not a comma. 😉 But I'm no English major! 🤣 👍

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

@JBK said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@lkenefic said:

Wanta bet?

I think it would be a period, not a comma. 😉 But I'm no English major! 🤣 👍

I added four periods in my edit... hedging my bets...

• Options

@dcarr said:
    I think it is an acid-eroded coin and/or flattened via mechanical abrasion.

Makes me wonder Dan the difference in trains weight and pressure on coins compared to your coin press minting machines?

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2024 3:09PM

I'd say the engine alone would do that, jmo. Good question to

• Options
    Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:
    No.... train track coins are flattened like the ones that @OAKSTAR posted... I created a number of these as a kid...

Edited for punctuation...

Same here. My father encouraged us while waiting for grandma at the Amtrak station. Different world even just 30 years ago.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options

Yeah, closer to 60 years in my case! The train came through slowly at a crossing about 4 or 5 blocks away. You never knew how many cars would be in tow but more cars meant smaller chance of recovering your "investment".

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d say a train track cent wouldn’t be any thicker than .015, or, 1/64 of an inch.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never measured one, but did quite a few 70 years ago, as we had train tracks down the road across from the only store and gas station for 10 miles or more. Men out in front of the store would throw us a penny as the train was coming and yell "on the track, quick" and we flew.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,861 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe Thomas the Tank Engine...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    PghpetePghpete Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

While this is sort of related to the OPs post - As a young lad, not knowing important dates and what years specific coins were minted, I came across a box of foreign and old U.S. coins; all of which had problems. One of those coins was a Walker that was indeed run over by a train. My big brother (he's a real jokester) told me that the Walker was valuable because President Lincoln's funeral train ran through Pittsburgh on the way to Illinois, and that one of our descendants placed that Walker on the track before the train went by. Sounded good to me! I still have it somewhere.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file