Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this a good 1914/(3) Buffalo?

ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 9, 2024 5:02PM in U.S. Coin Forum

At first glance it looks legit, but at this low grade, I am not so sure. What does the "peanut gallery" think?

Comments

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wasn't the 1914/(3) variety delisted a few years ago? As for the OP coin, I don't see the slightest evidence that there is a "4" over a "3" on the piece.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    Slade01Slade01 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

The variety was de-designated by many sources, but I would be interested in hearing from @CaptHenway on his position at this time.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought they brought it back.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yspsales said:
    I thought they brought it back.

I think they brought it back. Greysheet still lists it and it pops up in major auctions without an asterisk. But I'm not sure as I haven't submitted the one I have. I found it right before it was delisted/suspended.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

The OP"s coin doesn't look right to me in that photo. That 4 is very clear without the remnant underneath.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears to be one of the legitimate 1914/3 dies, but the coin is so worn I don't think you could ever be sure.

In the manuscript of my book on the cents of 1922 I state that on certain varieties that come with both a "Faint D" and a "No D" the lower grade coins can be impossible to attribute as one or the other.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears to be one of the legitimate 1914/3 dies, but the coin is so worn I don't think you could ever be sure.

I agree. Comparing the area just right of the top of the 4 with the picture of the higher grade example, the best I can come up with is that it might be. Laying aside the wear on the OP coin, this might also be a later die stage example imo. Better focused pics would help.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

Thanks for the input. Looking back at the Wexler Buffalo Nickel reference, looks like it could be DDO-002 (which would be under FS-014.87 or FS-101), or the de-listed DDO-004. Unfortunately, I think it is likely the latter.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think there is enough there to attribute it as a legitimate 4/3.
    But in that condition the value is modest ($30 is my un-researched guess).

• Options

@dcarr said:

If it can be attributed as a FS-101, price guide indicates $400 in G4. Now that may not be what it would sell for, but most likely it would be north of $30.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Connecticoin said:

@dcarr said:

If it can be attributed as a FS-101, price guide indicates $400 in G4. Now that may not be what it would sell for, but most likely it would be north of $30.

I had an UNC that I cherry-picked out of my own ccollection just after I read about the discovery of these. That was in the 1990s. I sold it at the time for about $1,800. It was officially designated as a new variety discovery of the over-date (I think die 8). It had some obvious die scratching which appeared to be an effort to partially efface the top horizontal bar of the "3". In any case, it was fairly evident as an over-date (as clear as any of the other listed dies). I have not followed the market prices since then.

PS:
    I think the subject coin of this thread grades VG-8.

• Options
    edited May 14, 2024 3:01PM

@dcarr said:

@Connecticoin said:

@dcarr said:

I had an UNC that I cherry-picked out of my own ccollection just after I read about the discovery of these. That was in the 1990s. I sold it at the time for about $1,800. It was officially designated as a new variety discovery of the over-date (I think die 8). It had some obvious die scratching which appeared to be an effort to partially efface the top horizontal bar of the "3". In any case, it was fairly evident as an over-date (as clear as any of the other listed dies). I have not followed the market prices since then.

PS:
    I think the subject coin of this thread grades VG-8.

I was thinking G-6, but now you are tempting me to try for the attribution - which more likely than not I will end up with a $1 coin in a PCGS holder :D

PS: if your coin was a 63, it roughly tripled in value since then, more if higher than 63.

• Options

Would be interested to get input from @BuffaloIronTail and/or @BUFFNIXX

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are several die pairs that are 4/3-ish. The few that are well-recognized as 4/3 are fairly strong and/or have obvious tooling on the die to try and fix the 3.

There are several listed in Ron Pope's book: https://archive.org/details/buffalonickelsab2006ronp/mode/2up

In low grade, it's going to be hard to verify for both you and a potential buyer.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks VG-8 to me (full date and enough horn for the grade).

I think it would be more so a 14/3 than not.

The book by Pope/Wexler is one of, if not the best reference books on Buffs.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file