Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Your opinions on this Ebay auction for a 1942/1 D Mercury Dime?

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

Worried this is not all there and can understand someone hoping it is, but then that's a guy without one. lol
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not an overdate

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tom147 said:
    Not an overdate

I think it might be the D is much more subtle than the P.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree the D being more subtle, but still not seeing it. I could be wrong, only seen 3 or 4 D's in hand but the ones I've seen look nothing like the OP's.

• Options
    dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 391 ✭✭✭

Professional certification in hand required

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2024 7:06PM

@Tom147 said:
    I agree the D being more subtle, but still not seeing it. I could be wrong, only seen 3 or 4 D's in hand but the ones I've seen look nothing like the OP's.

The Coinfacts picture is there. I wouldn't rule it out if the photos.

• Options
    ShurkeShurke Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

The bit under the 4 doesn’t look right.

• Options
    FishproFishpro Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

Where’s PCGS or NGC when you need them? I’m thinking no way!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I don't see it either

• Options
    BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 262 ✭✭✭✭

My vote is NO - not 42/41-D. Pic below is my own, which is in a PCGS AU58FB holder. The things I'd want to see on this eBay coin are:
    1. The vertical stem on the four should be stronger and go all the way up to beneath the horizontal base of the 4
    2. A "horn" on the ball of the 2 pointing northeast (the remnant of the top of the 1)
    3. Remember, the entire date was double struck (first 1941, then 1942 - clearly evident on the Philly version of the overdate, but I read that someone at the Denver mint probably tried to fix the issue, which results in a more subtle overdate that consequently wasn't detected until much later than the Philly one, which was spotted in 1943). So, although my blown up pic doesn't show it perfectly, the Coinfacts pics show doubling on the 19
    4. Not sure this is conclusive, but I think the little chip pointing rightward from the stem of the 9 seems to be diagnostic
    5. Finally, on the real deal, there is more metal in the enclosed area in the 4 and the upper loop of the 2. This eBay coin is too clean in those areas

That eBay coin is at $68 with less than 2 days left on the auction. If the community at large thought that coin was the real deal, it would be higher by now. Some "smart" person is going to snipe it at the last minute and overpay for a common 1942-D dime.

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 870 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote not, but, given the worn condition of the subject coin, it's possible. I wouldn't touch it, but I'm risk averse.

Here's mine (NGC AU 55); it looks pretty much like the CoinFacts photo, and not so much like the subject coin photo:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file