Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1885 Indian discovery piece PCGS PR64BN that's not a proof.

AndyKAndyK Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

As a collector, I just find this to be a whole lot of fun and interesting. A while back I purchased this coin from an EBay seller and brought it in to Rick Snow with Eagle Eye to see if it was worthy of an Eagle Eye Photo Seal. When Rick looked at it, he noticed it wasn't actually a proof, although he said it was struck with a proof die so he understood how the error could have occurred. After a bit more research, he found this to be a new Snow-4 Variety.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is always interesting to me when a coin is struck with a proof die yet is not a proof.

peacockcoins

• Options

@braddick said:
    It is always interesting to me when a coin is struck with a proof die yet is not a proof.

Wasn’t this the way back in the day? I was always under the belief that once proof striking was completed, it wasn’t uncommon to use the dies for circulation strikes. An act of utility.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen more than a few 1909-1916 proof Lincolns that are slabbed as proof, have die markers, BUT ARE NOT PROOFS. The telltale sign is the rims.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file