Home Stamps Forum
Options

I'm a baseball card guy who inherited thousands of stamps/a collection. Now what?

EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
edited February 5, 2024 1:34PM in Stamps Forum

Does anyone on this forum live in Westchetser, NY (just outside NYC)? Would love to get a general idea if there's any value here/how to sell it.

All common-sense thoughts are appreciated.

I've taken a few pics, but there are so many.

Comments

• Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭

More pics.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first day covers probably have very little value, especially since many of them are common cachets and are addressed. So far as the Israel and UN material go I would advise going to your library to see if they have copies of the Scott catalog that covers those stamps. Current Scott catalogs are very expensive so i am not sure just what libraries are doing in regard to them these days. If your library has them they will probably be in the reference section.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not much value. I would separate all the stuff into three auction lots on eBay. I would list all the Israel stamps in one lot, all the first day covers in another lot and the U.N. stamps in another lot. Start the auctions at .99 each and see where it ends at. Good luck.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭

Even if these do indeed not have much monetary value they are quite interesting in terms of historical and possibly sentimental value. I'd strongly advise OP to keep and enjoy them for what they are.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mint UN stamps can be used as postage as long as you bring the letters to UN HQ in Manhattan to be posted. It's not as easy to gain access as in years past due to airport-like security though. The post office is in the basement.

As I worked in Manhattan, I used up most of my mint UN stamps from my 1970s childhood collection on Christmas cards one year. That's about all they are good for anymore.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Generally, unless it's an extremely old vintage stamp, the lower denomination stamps are worthless if cancelled, and near worthless if unused except for postage value.

When perusing thru the collection, keep an eye out for any high denomination stamps such as a dollar or more. They can be worth some decent coin, especially unused with original gum.

• Options
    BigDotDonBigDotDon Posts: 31 ✭✭

Congrat's on acquiring this impressive collection. I have done some research on how to monetize a collection, but am just scratching the scratch. I have enjoyed some of the youtube videos where collectors obtain large collections from ebay and other places and afterwards "unboxing" them on their channel. If you could hook up with someone like that it might payoff. They seem to be paying decent prices for collections. Also, Mystic Stamps has an option to become a commissioned seller on their site https://www.mysticstamp.com/tell-us-about-your-stamps/. Best of luck!

• Options
    FredJRIFredJRI Posts: 167 ✭✭

Similar problem but a collection of mine from prior to 1960:

I have a stamp collection from 1960 and before. about 500 US stamps, 1860 - 1960 Postal, 1900 - 1960 commemorative and Air Mail. etc.
    Then about another 500 - 1000 from Poland, Hungry, Greece, Germany, Canada, France, Great Britian and various other foreign countries. It's been collecting dust for nearly 60 years.
    I belonged to a stamp club up to the age of 15 or so and we use to meet at the "Old Slater Mill" in Rhode Island.

I have NO clue what if anything it may be worth.
    Don't trust dealers in the area. If they are like most sports card dealers, they offer about 1/10 the actual value.

I want to get rid of it !!! ( without devoting a lot of time figuring out if there is a gem in the ruff )
    Any ideas on how to do it ???
    Hoping I can get $300 - $700.

Fred from RI

• Options

Also a recent album of "Presidents of the United States ; proof cards from Washington- Regan .. seen on eBay for $175.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredJRI said:

I have a stamp collection from 1960 and before. about 500 US stamps, 1860 - 1960 Postal, 1900 - 1960 commemorative and Air Mail. etc.
    Then about another 500 - 1000 from Poland, Hungry, Greece, Germany, Canada, France, Great Britian and various other foreign countries. It's been collecting dust for nearly 60 years.
    I belonged to a stamp club up to the age of 15 or so and we use to meet at the "Old Slater Mill" in Rhode Island.

Don't trust dealers in the area. If they are like most sports card dealers, they offer about 1/10 the actual value.

I want to get rid of it !!! ( without devoting a lot of time figuring out if there is a gem in the ruff )

Fred from RI

Post some photos of what you think are the best items. It is impossible to guess at valuation based on your current description. Stamp collecting has been trending downward for decades and many items that were once in demand no longer are. In the case of the foreign stamps please state their condition so far as hinged/never hinged goes. Also, for the foreignstamps are they in complete sets (good) or broken sets (bad).

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredJRI said:

Fred from RI

Fred, what does it matter if you get 1/10 of the value as long as you get your $3-700 and don’t spend much time? Go ahead and ask someone local.

I doubt you want to be shipping all that material around (and back, when you don’t get what you wanted).

• Options

@pruebas said:

Fred, what does it matter if you get 1/10 of the value as long as you get your $300-700 and don’t spend much time?
    Go ahead and ask someone local.
    I doubt you want to be shipping all that material around (and back, when you don’t get what you wanted).

Yes, most certainly, because if I thnk the actual value maybe be around $600 - 1500 the dealer will probably offer me
    $50 - $100 not $300 - $700 I'm looking for.. lololol

Just for example, I took 4 cards to a local sports card dealer about two weeks ago , a 62 Topps Aaron, a 65 Topps Rose and 65 Topps Koufax all ungraded, also 2002 Topps PSA 9 Brady. Did a quick search on PSA Price Guide estimating the condition or grade. The Aaron and Rose were probably conservatively 3-4's and the Koufax was maybe a 5 or 6 definitely the best one excluding the 2002 Brady. I figured perhaps a rough PSA value of $600 - $1200 for all four cards.
    I knew the dealer would low ball me so I expected an offer of about $300 - $400 from him.
    The dealer spends about 10-15 minutes on the PC and his cell finally comes back and says**** " I can give you $128." *** I said " __How about without the Koufax_ " _, "**Oh,, that is the best one **(no shit Sherlock I'm thinking to myself.) **That is worth about a $100**" . In essence he was offering me $28 for the Aaron, Rose and Brady. I just shook my head and said said " __No I can't sell them for that price___ " .and walked out.

I put them on eBay last week and got about $200 excluding the Koufax !! LOLOLOLOL

I may not be the brightest light bulb on the string, but I still put out a few lumens!

@pruebas .. you did give me an idea.
    If the stamp dealers are anything like the sports card dealers locally, I should have them give me a price and throw it on eBay or some place for 10X the amount. heheheeheehe

• Options

291fifth Posts: 23,966 ✭✭✭✭✭May 8, 2024 1:23PM
    @FredJRI said:
    Post some photos of what you think are the best items.
    It is impossible to guess at valuation based on your current description.
    Stamp collecting has been trending downward for decades and many items that were once in demand no longer are.
    In the case of the foreign stamps please state their condition so far as hinged/never hinged goes.
    Also, for the foreign stamps are they in complete sets (good) or broken sets (bad).

I could when I have more time.
    I'm new here and stilt trying to figure how to navigate the site.
    Primarily sports card collecting but noticed a coin & stamp area.
    Great, only been here 3 or 4 days but I LOVE IT !!!

The majority if them are hinged in my album " The Comprehensive WoldWide Stamp Album" about 3" thick and black in color. Think I bought it about 65 years ago in my teens.

I didn't mean to highjack this thread EchoCanyon.. just learning the website , SORRY.