Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have you ever received the wrong coin?

PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 8, 2024 11:42AM in U.S. Coin Forum

This was a first for me yesterday in over 20 years buying on eBay. Seller simply refunded and said my coin was sent to the wrong person and that was that. Sucks would have rather gotten my coin but at least there was no huge fuss on the sellers part.

The coin I received has a value of about 8$ mine had a value of 100$.

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

Successful Transactions with the following board members: Pruebas & SimonW

Comments

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven’t received the wrong coin but I’ve sent the wrong coin to an eBay buyer.

I handled it the same way as your seller - I simply refunded the buyer and told him to keep the coin. It was a proof set - readily available and easily replaceable.

Mistakes happen!

• Options

If ever he gets the coin back from that person I told him I will gladly buy it back.

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭

Not a coin, but my wife bought a ring once and the seller sent a Cartier ring by mistake. Big price difference. We contacted the seller and he just said to keep it. I've often wondered if it was stolen....???

imageimage

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got a whole box from a Stacks auction I didn’t win. They had nerve putting that temptation in front of my face. I called them they gave me some credit off my next purchase. This was many, MANY years ago pre computer.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes- one time and it has been the last time mainly because I would rather buy from other sources to avoid this from happening.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps two decades ago one of the well-known and highly respected dealers sent me a box of certified commems when I hadn't recently asked for or ordered anything from them. The client name was similar to my name and they knew both of us and simply got us confused. I called them up, we had a good laugh and I sent the coins on their way.

No muss, no fuss.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a “Buy-it-Now” eBay item a couple of years ago where the seller had another similar listing. I received the similar listing instead, was told to keep it, and then later received the lot I bought. Made out well on that one.

• Options

I would have been very disappointed if it was a rarer coin that only shows up once in a blue moon. But I am lucky that is not the case with this order.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,211 ✭✭✭✭✭

I once had a leading TPG send me someone else's submission.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over 15 years ago Heritage sent me a national bank note on a state that I do not collect. I sent it back and they sent me the correct note.

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had a few instances where I've mailed the wrong coin and once I received the wrong coin. It's easy to do. I usually make it really easy for the wrong person to return the coin and like sending them a self addressed postage paid mailer to return the coin in. None of it was high value and everyone was good about tit.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

the mint traded my order with someone else. i received a higher value box. i talked with the rightful owner and we decided that this was the mint's error to fix plus we don't know each other and the quiet part out loud is we would be sure no other mistakes were made, so we made the mint spring for return labels.

how did it get screwed up? we had ups labels that matched except for 2 transposed digits. the shipping labels were swapped.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2024 5:21PM

I guess after ordering 1000's of things over the last 25 years (dvd's books, games and so on) from the USA 1 single time is extremely rare. And the seller may get the coin back if he does will buy it again. He has over 8000 feedback at 99.9% positive. So I know it is a honest mistake.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

I once shipped a (1) N variety Millenium Beanie Baby to a lady who ordered the (2) NN Variety Millennium and she was irate. I let her keep the (1) N and shipped her a (2) N Variety.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent a proof cent that after ten days did not show up. I have a 14 day delivery stated in auction but buyer was anxious it seems. I refund and said if it showed up to just keep ($5 value or so). Of course it did show as delivered on day 13. Buyer said he'd send the money but that didn't happen. Got great feedback though.
    bob :)
    "Item lost by Post Office but Seller refunded order when he didn't have to."

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I echo @ajaan above. I once received a full box from a TPG that was not mine. One call to the TPG and we got it all rectified.

Drunner

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭✭

Around 10 or 15 years ago I received a complete set of raw ASEs in a Dansco album. not sure how the eBay seller sent them to me, as I don't recall having purchased anything from him at or about that time. There were about 20 or 25 coins in the set at that time. I contacted the seller, obviously he asked me to return them, and offered to pay return postage. I did so, he didn't.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen a coin I purchased go to someone else at an address I lived at 15 years ago. eBay reimbursed me for the loss.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2024 6:10AM

Yes - due to the stupidity of the seller. A real hassle.

Now guy in coin club got one from auc house worth much more than what he won - kept it / ignored auc house….. He said “let them get behind my bill collector friends (his credit card company lawsuits).”

Better be careful - be sure check what your sending out right item.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom Mulvaney of Mid American Rare Coin Auctions gave me a MS65 1934S PCGS silver dollar at a lot pickup decades ago that I hadn't purchased. I promptly returned the coin to Tom and mentioned it years later when I saw him at a show. He didn't remember. I was disillusioned but still don't question returning the coin and would do it again.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've sent the wrong coins to eBay buyers a couple times over the past 23 years. Sorry if it was any of yous. :open_mouth: most of the times we worked it out.

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2024 6:38AM

Never a wrong coin, but not too long ago I ordered a Sigma Precious metal verifier from Pinehurst and they sent two. Called them and they emailed me a return label so I could ship one back.

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

A bunch of them, but I picked them out and paid for them. Still have them, though.

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭✭

Early last year I received a large box of coins intended for someone in another country from a European auction house. No harm done, sent them all back.

• Options
    PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 290 ✭✭✭

I have. And when I pointed it out to the seller, they got upset with me. This after I said it was no big deal, that I liked the coin regardless, but not worth my time returning it. Maybe that I said I would be leaving neutral feedback upset them. I thought it was fair.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Won this coin at on Ebay auction:

Received a completely different coin that was a fake. Returned for refund. Original coin never received.

Trade $'s

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file