Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Introduction

Hello my name is Brian, I been collecting coins, mostly Latin American coins, since I was a youngster. I bought some proof sets and unopened bank penny rolls in the early 2000s and like most hobbies of mines, it take turns being my favorite. So for 17 years I havent opened or look at my collection until recently. An I think I have some goodies. But I'm not sure where to begin. I posted a question about a 1963 error penny I found within the bank rolls. And with these rolls I have seen so many great looking coins, my guess based on the known grades in the 1963 series I could have a lot of MS67. But i'm still learning and some guidance is greatly appreciated.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome. A good place to start for grading is PCGS Photograde: https://www.pcgs.com/photograde

You'll need better/clearer photos to get grade estimates, but from the chatter around the Memorial and the big hit over the E in ONE, that coin is not going to grade 67.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome!

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks.

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭✭✭

@christianpigeon said:
    Hello my name is Brian, I been collecting coins, mostly Latin American coins, since I was a youngster. I bought some proof sets and unopened bank penny rolls in the early 2000s and like most hobbies of mines, it take turns being my favorite. So for 17 years I havent opened or look at my collection until recently. An I think I have some goodies. But I'm not sure where to begin. I posted a question about a 1963 error penny I found within the bank rolls. And with these rolls I have seen so many great looking coins, my guess based on the known grades in the 1963 series I could have a lot of MS67. But i'm still learning and some guidance is greatly appreciated.

From the pictures, that coin appears to be closer to a 61 than a 67. Welcome to the forum, and please disregard @Fraz . He takes it upon himself to annoy new members. Once you have more posts, he'll calm down. No offence @Fraz .

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Nominate the unofficial king of CU: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1104115/nominations-unofficial-king-of-cu#latest

• Options

@CRHer700 said:

@christianpigeon said:

From the pictures, that coin appears to be closer to a 61 than a 67. Welcome to the forum, and please disregard @Fraz . He takes it upon himself to annoy new members. Once you have more posts, he'll calm down. No offence @Fraz .

Thanks, when would you send it to get graded? When you see the Memorial steps more defined?

I like this coin.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

@christianpigeon said:
    Thanks, when would you send it to get graded? When you see the Memorial steps more defined?

When would you ever send any coin to be graded? That's a serious question. Different people get coins graded for different reasons. Someone else's reasons might not be the same as yours.

Many people will only send a coin to be graded when the value of the coin is more than the cost of the grading. If that's the case for you, what do you the the value of this coin is? How much do you think it will cost to have it graded?

• Options

Many people will only send a coin to be graded when the value of the coin is more than the cost of the grading. If that's the case for you, what do you the the value of this coin is? How much do you think it will cost to have it graded?

I looked at the prices to get it graded and the est value per ms65 and up. Is a little confusing on what services to get.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

@christianpigeon said:

I looked at the prices to get it graded and the est value per ms65 and up. Is a little confusing on what services to get.

In 65, PCGS says that's a $20 coin. $30 in 66. $800 in 67. Ignoring the fact that the PCGS price guide is usually on the high to very high side, this is a good indication that the coin is much tougher to find in 67 than 66 or below. If even the cheapest grading cost is $15 or so (not counting two-way shipping), on the best day you have $15 to make if the coin grades 66 or below. That said, your coin--the new photos are much clearer--has TONS of chatter and some big hits in obvious places. It's not a 67, and it's not a 65. It's more like a 63. This is not a coin that will benefit at all from being graded.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

@airplanenut said:

@christianpigeon said:

In 65, PCGS says that's a $20 coin. $30 in 66. $800 in 67. Ignoring the fact that the PCGS price guide is usually on the high to very high side, this is a good indication that the coin is much tougher to find in 67 than 66 or below. If even the cheapest grading cost is $15 or so (not counting two-way shipping), on the best day you have $15 to make if the coin grades 66 or below. That said, your coin--the new photos are much clearer--has TONS of chatter and some big hits in obvious places. It's not a 67, and it's not a 65. It's more like a 63. This is not a coin that will benefit at all from being graded.

Thank you for your insight. If is not to troublesome could you point out where you saw the chattering?

• Options

@christianpigeon said:

@airplanenut said:

@christianpigeon said:

Thank you for your insight. If is not to troublesome could you point out where you saw the chattering?

Answered my own question. This is a good reference on PC https://www.ikegroup.info/?page_id=195

• Options

I think this is a MS63. I'm trying to test my skills :D

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭✭

To sharpen your grading skills, you might take a look at one of the multiple guess the grade (GTG) posts on this site. Many times a member will post a picture of a particular coin asking members to guess the grade. Many do so. Several days later the member will disclose the actual grading of the coin by showing a copy of the full slab with a label or otherwise disclosing the grading assigned by the third-party grader. It's a fun exercise and also gives you some insights as to how close your grading skills are. Frequently I am surprised by the wide variance of grading that members assign a particular coin. But keep in mind grading is only an opinion and even the third-party graders sometimes get it wrong.

As to your question regarding when to send a coin in for grading, again, there are many opinions on this. Some won't do so unless the coin is valued above a particular level such as $200, some more, some less. There are several posts on this site discussing this question. Some will send a coin in for grading to make sure it is authentic, and others, to preserve it in a slab. The choice is yours, as well as the cost of doing so.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since you are familiar with the PCGS price guide, I'd suggest clicking the link for "View more images" under the main image for the coin you are looking at.
    Here it is for 1963 1C
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1963-1c-rd/images/2884
    Scroll through there and see the difference between MS64-67 coins.

Collector, occasional seller

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file