Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would You Re-holder This Coin Or Not?

Hello Everyone, I'm getting some coins together to send to CACG (first submission). I have this 1849 h10c that has an overdate FS-303. I was thinking about sending this coin to get it in a Legacy holder and also have the FS-303 on the label. From what info I'm gathering if I sent this coin to CACG, I would get a MS64 instead of the MS64+ grade. Would that be correct? It is not a must that I have the variety on the label, I would find it more important to keep the MS64+ grade for pop reasons. Any thoughts or opinions on this would be appreciated, Thanks!

Best Answers

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2024 5:15PM Answer ✓

It is not automatic that you would lose the +, but it is also not automatic that it would stay. If you are doing a crossover you can specify the min grade as 64+, but I am not sure that you can do a crossover and have the variety added all at the same time.

If you really want the CACG holder I would send for crossover at the current grade and then contact CACG CS to see if you can also add the variety at the same time. If not them you would need to resubmit (assuming it crosses at grade) for the variety to be added.

As to would I, I'm not much of one to spend money on plastic, so I almost never cross coins from one service to another.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

It could grade MS65 at CACG. It probably would not but you never know.

There is nothing to gain by crossing it, even if it makes CACG MS64+, unless you want the 0.50 registry point at CACG.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2024 5:31AM Answer ✓

No

Really superb coin. Super PQ.

It’s great where it is. Downgrade (shooting self in foot) would be an unacceptable step backwards. I definitely would want to keep the plus grade for MV and pop reasons. Considering that it’s Super PQ and low pop would aggressively be out to get all the money.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@rhedden said:
    PCGS holder, plus grade, and CAC sticker. I'd say you've maxxed out the bells and whistles as far as plastic and stickers go. Why mess with it?

+1

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I would not re-holder that coin. If you want, you can take a fine tip sharpie pen and neatly print the variety number on the slab next to the CAC sticker. If any future buyer cares about varieties, they can easily examine the coin and verify that the number is correct. Regular rubbing alcohol will take the sharpie ink off you slab if you want to remove it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2024 9:36AM Answer ✓

@VarietyHound said:
    Thank you all for the advice. I will keep the coin as it is and just add my own sticker to the holder listing the variety.

NOT my area of expertise. So, I am not sure if they cover your specific variety.

That said, you may want to 'consider/investigate' a label from VAMSeal.

Edited to Add:
    Just remembered that GreatCollections recognizes VSS attributions. Reference

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2024 7:45AM Answer ✓

I would probably leave the coin alone but if I were to send it to CACG my minimum grade for crossover would be 65. Crossing it at as a 64+ doesn’t really accomplish anything.

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@rhedden said:
    PCGS holder, plus grade, and CAC sticker. I'd say you've maxxed out the bells and whistles as far as plastic and stickers go. Why mess with it?

Agreed, its already in the perfect position where it is? Also just because there is a FS # for it doesn't mean its worthwhile as an overdate. FS#'s can be as meaningless as can be, akin to colelecting minutia, as you can plainly see the overdate is so minimal it is unnoticeable, however the H10c you own is a wonderful example of the year and a real looker

Answers

• Options

Thank you all for the advice. I will keep the coin as it is and just add my own sticker to the holder listing the variety.

• Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    It is not automatic that you would lose the +, but it is also not automatic that it would stay. If you are doing a crossover you can specify the min grade as 64+, but I am not sure that you can do a crossover and have the variety added all at the same time.

If you really want the CACG holder I would send for crossover at the current grade and then contact CACG CS to see if you can also add the variety at the same time. If not them you would need to resubmit (assuming it crosses at grade) for the variety to be added.

As to would I, I'm not much of one to spend money on plastic, so I almost never cross coins from one service to another.

Hi,

If you call CACG, directly, they are very pleasant and informative.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd keep it as is and send it to VSS (Variety Slabbing Service) to have the overdate noted.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't mess with it.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

@semikeycollector said:

@coinbuf said:

Hi,

If you call CACG, directly, they are very pleasant and informative.

Yes the staff at both VA and NJ are super folks, have always had great interactions with both.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@RobertScotLover said:

@rhedden said:

Agreed, its already in the perfect position where it is? Also just because there is a FS # for it doesn't mean its worthwhile as an overdate. FS#'s can be as meaningless as can be, akin to colelecting minutia, as you can plainly see the overdate is so minimal it is unnoticeable, however the H10c you own is a wonderful example of the year and a real looker

This overdate has some value and can be a tough find. A MS65+ CAC Top Pop (Beauty) brought $5040.00 at a Heritage Auction on 8/20/2023. My coin would be 1/1 grade&variety in MS64+ (PCGS). PCGS list the variety as 1849/6 9 over widely placed 6.

Thanks to everyone for the solid advice on this! I will keep my "new plastic" money in my pocket =)

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it just fine the way it is.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't know. I use PCGS.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file