Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1876 Proof Trade dollars.

I hear there is a new book being written about Trade dollars. Over the last few years I've watched them gain popularity. So I've started to collect them. Right now I have a set of Gobrech Journals, the Bowers Encyclopedia, Breen and Breen's book on Proofs and the Internet. I just bought a new book on the top varieties. Recently, I became stumped by the '76 Proofs. Here is what I've found.

1. They exist as 1/1 1/2 and 2/2 combinations.** One source says 1/1 is the rarest while another says it is not. Anyway, I only want information on the 1876 Type one Proofs.
  2. I found the mintage and months they were released.
  3. From what I could find. All the 1/1 Proofs were struck with broken letters on the reverse. Is that the case? The 1/1 dies were the first used but why would the Mint strike them with broken {defective Proof die) letters?
  4. Apparently, nice Proofs of this date are rare as most of the 1500+ are impaired.

A dealer told me all the Proof dies (1/1,1/2, 2/2) were also used to strike business strikes! True or not true. Do 1876 1/1 MS coins exist struck from Proof dies?

I have not been able to see the PCGS rRegistry Sets but I have looked at Heritage. So I guess what I wish to know is DO ANY 1876 Type 1 Trade dollar PROOFS EXIST with unbroken letters on their reverse? An image would bea plus. THANKS!

** The Gobrecht Journal shows more Types exist but they are not recognized.

Comments

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2024 4:43AM

Calling @OriginalDan and @Crypto

The book is long rumored but it doesn't seem like anything is imminent. Proof dies were re-used for business strikes. I saw a 62CAM 1.5/2 yesterday that I wouldn't call nice but it didn't have any problems.

Edit: And yes, 1/1 MS coins exist, I just gave one to our hosts yesterday for a friend to re-holder to recognize the hub combo.

• Options

The Gobrecht Journal claims there is a type 3 reverse. @alefzero showed that it was a re-engraving of the dies, not a new hub.

• Options
    Married2CoinsMarried2Coins Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

I'll please ask members not to sidetrack this discussion. I'd like to know as much about Trade dollars as I can but first the only thing I wish to learn from this discussion is:

1. Do all TYPE 1 1876 Proof Trade dollars ihave broken letter reverses. Thanks!
  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2024 7:50PM

There is a type 1/1 non-broken letters business strike die pair and the proof 1/1 is a different broken letters die pair than the majority of the broken letters cir coins out there. There are a few of the proof die pair in AU holders but IMHO they are miss attributed proofs. Also don’t forget about the type 1.5/2 proofs and BS coins that have the 4 finger hand but type 1 everything else

Here is a type 1/1 non broken letters

Here is a proof with the hybrid Obv

• Options

Here is a BS with the transitional obverse.

• Options

Thanks guys. So forgetting all the MS and non 1/1 Trade dollars posted in this thread... The answer to my question is that there are NO 1876 TYPE 1/1 PROOFS with complete letters on their reverse.

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Married2Coins said:
    Thanks guys. So forgetting all the MS and non 1/1 Trade dollars posted in this thread... The answer to my question is that there are NO 1876 TYPE 1/1 PROOFS with complete letters on their reverse.

Not that we know of, but new discoveries are made now and then.

Can you explain why you ask this very specific question?

• Options

I started collecting circulated Trade dollars and have been reading everything I could get my hands on. Knowledge is power!
    I wonder why they have not been broken down further into Types because just looking at the Heritage auction images and reading the Gobrecht Journal (I have the five volume set) anyone can see the differences. I tried to send you and Dan a message but could not figure out how to do it on this site. Have either one of you written in the Journal, or any other place? I'll need to join the Liberty Collectors Club one day. There must be many more articles about Trade dollars since the set was published..

Anyway an 1876 Type 1/1 coin imaged at Heritage interested me. It has the very wide rims of a Proof. It is one of the lower grade Uncs if I remember. There is a tiny dot under Liberty's ear and one on her wrist. All the letters on the reverse are complete so I was just curious if Proofs came from this die also. I can't believe the Mint made Proofs with broken letters.

I am hopeful that someone will publish a Trade dollar book that is Exactly like the Osborn Book on Seated dollars! I wish to have a some "cherry Picks" before it is published. Unfortunately for me, collectors with more money and more knowledge have had a very long head start so I'll probably only get an ocasional "scrap" if I get lucky.

• Options

@alefzero published a "cherry picking" book. You can find a PDF of it as well as exhaustive research of each of the dies here -> http://registry.ssdcvams.com/Trade/

Another member here has a 99%+ completed trade dollar book but, as I understand it, it has been in that state for a number of years and is unlikely to be published any time soon.

I would also say that while the Gobrecht Journal is a great source of information, not all of the information is 100% accurate. Overwhelmingly good, not perfect.

• Options
  • Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 912 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will try to finally print the comprehensive Trade variety book by June Long Beach, but it will be tough. Need to update the digital pages to be current as well. They might migrate to a wiki platform in time.

• Options
    edited May 5, 2024 6:28PM
  • Options

@alefzero said:
    I will try to finally print the comprehensive Trade variety book by June Long Beach, but it will be tough. Need to update the digital pages to be current as well. They might migrate to a wiki platform in time.

Who is going to proof read it? Are you John Cox?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file