Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need help with this 1982 penny

I can’t find anything on the errors I’m seeing on this coin. It’s a 1982 large date no mint mark penny. It weighs in at 2.5 and I’m seeing doubling obverse and reverse but what caught my eye was the ear doubling and the date doubling. It looks like the 2 could be a date over but it doesn’t make sense to me. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2024 3:16PM

Mechanical doubling by the looks of it, value 1 cent, jmo

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

MD junk.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

A well circulated coin with worthless strike (also known as mechanical doubling or MD) doubling, just a spender.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

I can see why guys like me that are fairly new can’t stand sites like this with guys that just want to complain and tear down your coin. Not one time did I ask the value or if it was doubling. I’m not retarded. I was asking about the mark under the 2 that runs on a slant from right to left. It comes to a clear Point at the top right of the 2 and follows close with the slant of the 2 but not exact. This design of the 2 does not have a clear point on the top right it looks like a 7 or a slash mark which is the confusing part. I’m just curious to learn not trying to sell it or even care of the value. I haven’t been able to find an example of the ear doubling yet and maybe it is damage but it sure looks different than the other damage on the coin.

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

@callmsp78 said:
    Any help would be appreciated.

:D

• Options
    Slade01Slade01 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

I always look to http://varietyvista.com/09d WQ Vol 4 DC/01b LC Doubled Dies Vol 2/DDO 1982.htm for the details of potential DDOs, but yeah this looks like MD to me. Varietyvista also gives you many of the pickup points, die cracks and scratches and the like on known varieties.

And the chances of a new variety from 1982 are about as likely as me picking up an attractive young woman at a bar even if I tape Benjamins all over myself, and I'm still more likely to get hit by lightning inside the bar. :D

I know a few people that collect them, value isn't everything, some people collect die chips.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Slade01 said:
    I always look to http://varietyvista.com/09d WQ Vol 4 DC/01b LC Doubled Dies Vol 2/DDO 1982.htm for the details of potential DDOs, but yeah this looks like MD to me. Varietyvista also gives you many of the pickup points, die cracks and scratches and the like on known varieties.

And the chances of a new variety from 1982 are about as likely as me picking up an attractive young woman at a bar even if I tape Benjamins all over myself, and I'm still more likely to get hit by lightning inside the bar. :D

I know a few people that collect them, value isn't everything, some people collect die chips.

Amen.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

@callmsp78 said:
    I can see why guys like me that are fairly new can’t stand sites like this with guys that just want to complain and tear down your coin.

I agree, some here can be pretty blunt and quick to criticize. Something I disagree with. We were all new once. With that being said, if you were to look back on previous pages you'll find loads of new people who think they have the million dollar coin in pocket change. When told by experts ( no, not sarcasm either. Truly a wealth of knowledge and experience here ) that their find has little or no value beyond face, they new guy wants to argue that they truly have a rare find, telling the experts they don't know what they're talking about. Hence, some here have a very low tolerance for the new guy posting a minimal value coin.
    Stick around, alot to be learned here. 60 years a collector and still learning.

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

Thank you for taking the time to teach and explain. I agree it would be a long shot, it could happen, but that’s not why I’m here. I’m not looking for new varieties im using this old coin to learn. I have a cheap micro scope and that’s why the pics don’t quite look as good as the live screen does and I’m trying to figure out whats under the 2. Would it had md or dd so many times it would create a point at the top right of the 2? I’m going to try some different light or angles to get a better pic.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tom147 said:
    When told by experts ( no, not sarcasm either. Truly a wealth of knowledge and experience here ) that their find has little or no value beyond face, they new guy wants to argue that they truly have a rare find, telling the experts they don't know what they're talking about.

@callmsp78 said:
    Would it had md or dd so many times it would create a point at the top right of the 2? I’m going to try some different light or angles to get a better pic.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@callmsp78 said:
    I can see why guys like me that are fairly new can’t stand sites like this with guys that just want to complain and tear down your coin. Not one time did I ask the value or if it was doubling. I’m not retarded. I was asking about the mark under the 2 that runs on a slant from right to left. It comes to a clear Point at the top right of the 2 and follows close with the slant of the 2 but not exact. This design of the 2 does not have a clear point on the top right it looks like a 7 or a slash mark which is the confusing part. I’m just curious to learn not trying to sell it or even care of the value. I haven’t been able to find an example of the ear doubling yet and maybe it is damage but it sure looks different than the other damage on the coin.

Ignore them.

It is "mechanical doubling" or "die deterioration doubing". A little shimmy or shake during the strike will cause some low relief doubling of some features.

• Options

@callmsp78 said:
    Thank you for taking the time to teach and explain. I agree it would be a long shot, it could happen, but that’s not why I’m here. I’m not looking for new varieties im using this old coin to learn. I have a cheap micro scope and that’s why the pics don’t quite look as good as the live screen does and I’m trying to figure out whats under the 2. Would it had md or dd so many times it would create a point at the top right of the 2? I’m going to try some different light or angles to get a better pic.

I don't see a point at the top right of the 2. I see corrosion. It is not unusual for the zinc core to corrode and create bubbles that push up the copper plating (plating blisters).

• Options

Corrosion or maybe die scratches? See if these photos help.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2024 7:59PM

Metals are malleable, especially copper. Not an error coin that would make it valuable or desirable, but good to study to learn about machine doubling. If you felt like it you could move the metal around in a similar way with a screwdriver and a small hammer because metal is so malleable. The buzz words “no mint mark” and “errors” for coins like this trigger experienced collectors because they make it sound like you might have been scammed before because some common scammers try to get people to think these are valuable and use those words to trick people.

Mr_Spud

• Options

This coin will never be sold. It was my oldest son’s coin and he had it with other coins that have recorded errors. No amount of money would get it from me. He could have thought it was special or cool and I wanted to learn about it. Thank you to the few that gave me some help and resources to keep researching.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2024 8:38PM

Definitely worth keeping if you have a sentimental attachment to it. He was probably keeping it as a “study” or example of machine doubling coin. Like I have a slabbed Mercury dime that was abrasively cleaned that I bought so as to have an example of a cleaned one to study because at first glance it’s easy to mistake for die polishing. Here is a picture where I angled the lighting to show the parallel patch of lines on the reverse right lower fields. The obverse has a smaller patch of die polishing lines on the obverse lower right, so good coin to study to learn the difference between die polishing lines and abrasive cleaning.

Mr_Spud

• Options

Thank you for the info. I have seen other post that are similar that suggest heat damage. So that’s another option to research.

• Options

@acsb said:
    "I’m not retarded." Have you receive a professional's opinion on that?

Uncslled for.

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2024 6:09AM

@callmsp78 said:
    Not one time did I ask the value…

You are correct. Not all think that they have a valuable coin when asking about a feature on it.

…or if it was doubling.

however, you did include doubling.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file