Home U.S. Coin Forum

OBW Rolls For Sale. Any One Have Experience Buying From Him?

I see this seller advertising OBW rolls at auction selling so cheap. Is this for real? All his ratings are so glowing stating everything is an original roll and great coins. Here is one example of a roll of 1954S pennies selling for $36, which is 70 cents per coin!!

Comments

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerlover said:
    Is this for real?

Nope!

Don't walk away, run away!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2024 5:53PM

The roll in the first post is already sold; the OP perhaps has his eye on one of the rolls listed above.

• WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@Walkerlover said:
    Is this for real?

Nope!

Okay thanks. Are the reviews fake than?

@Walkerlover said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@Walkerlover said:
    Is this for real?

Nope!

I wouldn't even waste my time looking at the reviews.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

The website looks legitimate. Why not e-mail the seller and learn more about him. He has been on eBay since 1999, Just remember there is no Santa Claus in numismatics.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerlover said:
    I see this seller advertising OBW rolls at auction selling so cheap. Is this for real? All his ratings are so glowing stating everything is an original roll and great coins. Here is one example of a roll of 1954S pennies selling for $36, which is 70 cents per coin!!

You're kidding, right?

Greysheet bid in a BU roll of 1954-S cents is $14.00. CPG is $19.00. They are likely exactly what they claim to be. Those rolls are neither rare nor valuable even if they are OBW which most aren't.

@OAKSTAR said:

@Walkerlover said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@Walkerlover said:
    Is this for real?

Nope!

This is rather paranoid. Those prices are not exactly cheap for common rolls. They are likely exactly what they claim to be. I sold a box of 1954-S OBw rolls 18 months or so ago for $9 each (30% back of greysheet).

@jmlanzaf said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@Walkerlover said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@Walkerlover said:
    Is this for real?

Nope!

This is rather paranoid. Those prices are not exactly cheap for common rolls. They are likely exactly what they claim to be. I sold a box of 1954-S OBw rolls 18 months or so ago for $9 each (30% back of greysheet).

You're actually probably right. I suppose I was basing my opinion on a bad experience I once had. My bad!

• So-called OBWs have been faked for decades.

James at EarlyUS.com

On the web: http://www.earlyus.com
    edited April 25, 2024 1:04PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@Walkerlover said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@Walkerlover said:
    Is this for real?

Nope!

It doesn’t make sense though as uncirculated 1954 S coins even in a grade of ms 64 should be worth at least $5 raw which would compute to $250 per roll and there are probably a few 65 coins. Unless these are not true uncirculated rolls being sold and there are AU coins being sold

• MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

No way would I buy raw 64's at $5 each.

@Walkerlover said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@Walkerlover said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@Walkerlover said:
    Is this for real?

Nope!

It doesn’t make sense though as uncirculated 1954 S coins even in a grade of ms 64 should be worth at least $5 raw which would compute to $250 per roll and there are probably a few 65 coins. Unless these are not true uncirculated rolls being sold and there are AU coins being sold

That is not the way to price rolls. Again, I posted the Greysheet number. That is the way they trade. You will NEVER sell a roll for $50 much less $250.

But, if you want to pay $50 per roll, let me know. I know where there's a $10 box.

edited April 25, 2024 1:25PM

@MarkKelley said:

No one would. They are just over a buck.

@jmlanzaf said:

@MarkKelley said:

So you are saying you can buy a true uncirculated coin for $1 that would grade out 64 at PCGS. What about MS 65 or better from an original roll.
    I am not trying to be argumentative just learn. Why wouldn’t someone pay 40 or 50 dollars for a true original roll that could have some MS 65-66 coins. Or are these coins from this supplier put together rolls containing many sliders? I do see he sold a roll of 1951 D Franklins for $1300.

@Walkerlover said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MarkKelley said:

So you are saying you can buy a true uncirculated coin for $1 that would grade out 64 at PCGS. What about MS 65 or better from an original roll.
    I am not trying to be argumentative just learn. Why wouldn’t someone pay 40 or 50 dollars for a true original roll that could have some MS 65-66 coins. Or are these coins from this supplier put together rolls containing many sliders? I do see he sold a roll of 1951 D Franklins for $1300.

CPG is under $20. Yes, people buy then hoping to find 66s. And occasionally they do.

Greysheet CPG on a 64 1954-S wheat is $1.90. Bid is $1.25. Why anyone would send one to PCGS, I don't know. But yes, you can buy legitimate 64s for a buck or two.

As I wrote before, I sold a $10 original back box of original rolls for under $10 per roll. The dealer who bought them was having a hard time selling them at $15.

Bottom line: I don't know where you are getting your pricing information, but it's a bit out of whack.

@Walkerlover said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MarkKelley said:

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2024 8:49PM

I still own 20 obw rolls of 1954-S cents out of the 25 rolls I bought from Virg Marshall back in 1992. The cost back then was $3 a roll. I still have 100 obw rolls of 1958 cents packed in the original JP Morgan Guaranty name stamped on each Federal Reserve Bank of New York obw roll as well as the US Mint bag. I put them away to preserve their history. Chase Bank wanted to buy all 100 rolls for their annual executive party in 2008 and give them out to their top executives. I refused and then the financial crisis hit so they did not follow up.

I opened up five of the rolls that did not have the ends as tight as i liked. A collector friend sent a few of the my handpicked coins on my behalf and got 10 of the coins to grade MS-66RD on one roll alone on one of the PCGS grading specials. That way more than paid for the entire purchase price of $75 even net of the grading fees. Sold all of the slabbed coins.

There is a growing interest in finding various Federal Reserve bank obw rolls. The interesting ones are the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, Los Angeles branch obw rolls. The paper wrapping is worth more than the coins themselves.

That is the reason why these obw rolls are worth a hefty premium today. Supply is shrinking.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have tons of LA / SF FRB wheat cent OBW rolls. Why would these have such a premium?

PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

panache

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

when an eBay seller runs an auction starting at $1, they do not determine how cheap it will sell at

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2024 1:37PM

@rmpsrpms said:
    I have tons of LA / SF FRB wheat cent OBW rolls. Why would these have such a premium?

They just seem to be very much in demand. Contrary to your post they are having trouble finding any.

Many non-west coast collectors seem to want them. Got any LA/SF FRB nickel, dime or quarter obw rolls from the 40’s and 50’s you can spare?

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file