Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How would you feel about this message on eBay?

davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got this after a sale of a group of mostly gem PCGS graded coins->

I received these coins (the title of listing).
unfortunately they are not the same quality as I was expecting.
I would like either to return them (all 7 coins) or get 20% discount.
Please let me know.

Comments

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

Refund. No choice.

Vplite99
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would feel like using GC next time.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lcoopie said:

Depends on what it is. Some things can not be sold profitably in GC

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

I called that bluff once. It was a mint HW redline, not a cheapie. I said “no, go cry to eBay”. He did nothing. That’s a tactic.
    …and the horse he rode in on.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 20, 2024 8:39AM

Bad buyer - would take the return and block. Do not refund until received back. I had one provided no tracking never returned then after 2 wk return period ebay canceled return. Buyer tried badger me told them no returns after the 2wk period. (Too bad so sad). They were a crud buyer all the way.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Take the return.

Report to ebay.
    Block and move on.

This.

• Options
    edited April 20, 2024 9:37AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@lcoopie said:

I’m just relating my feelings.

And, I would rather get less than get screwed on eBay.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have him return the coins, refund him, then block the creep.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

No need to repeat, but, take return, block.

• Options

@lcoopie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@lcoopie said:

You might get nothing. Not everything can be sold at GC

• Options

I hate this type of “people.”
    I also collect How Wheels and had to stop selling on eBay because of this same tactic. Often telling them just send them back ends the communication.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

You obviously don't want to deal with this clown, so limit your exposure to his ridiculous actions.
    Take the return.
    Block him.
    Forget him.

• Options
    VetterVetter Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take the return, leave appropriate feedback to worn others.
    Have you checked his feedback to see if he’s done this before?

Members I have done business with:
    Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with those that said accept return, refund, then block.
    I wonder if this buyer would have sent you additional funds if the coins were nicer than expected? (We all know the answer).

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@lcoopie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@lcoopie said:

You might get nothing. Not everything can be sold at GC

I didn’t know that, thanks again.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would agree to take the return and refund after receiving the coins back.
    He may just keep the coins and neg you. If he does you will be able to reply to the neg with the truth for all to see what the guy was trying to pull. You can't neg the guy back but others will understand the truth.

Larry

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,402 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please out this individual after you get your coins back.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah yes, the ol' take possession then negotiate.

Please do out them after you have the coins back.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't really say without more information.
    How much is 20%?
    Was this an auction where you could take the return and offer it to the underbidder?
    Who pays for return shipping?
    Is offering 10% or 5% back an option to you instead of 20%. Is your time more valuable than what those percentages add up to.
    It seems like a lot of comments here are based off of ego and "I'll cut my nose off to spite my face" type of response versus a positive business decision.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

Refund and block, some never stop

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

be nice when you tell them you're taking them all back

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know it's been said over and over... so I hope you got the point. Take them back, refund, block and report and relist. No reason to take 20% off the top, especially if your listings and images were representative of the actual coins sold...

I've taken to heart some of the feedback I've gotten here... keep the description to a minimum and let your images tell the story. If you don't give them a description to dispute, then they should understand what they are getting and they can't dispute your description if all you say is what is on the slab. Was it listed as ms65? Was it an ms65? If yes, then the listing was fair and honest as long as the images were representative.

Good luck!

• Options

The buyer sent that message twice and the next day started return, before I got back to them. I should get it tomorrow. They ended up paying just a touch over $100. I usually have offered free shipping and pay for returns. This guy paid $8 so I am not as mad now.

I probably will not block them but did report them and their message to eBay for 'return extortion', as I call it. Feedback is removed once return has started, as considered a no sale.

I am going to stop 30 day returns as I had one last month where it was started 28 days after sale. Purchaser said 'I just didn't like it'. Is that one of the pull-down options? Ebay gave them a return label and 3 weeks to return it.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

The one thing we cannot do is make some people happy with their decisions. It is just another quirky part of our existence. It would be our last transaction, if they were auction items.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

So the guy had a different opinion on the prices and grades of the coins received in the mail? Not surprised.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options

@davewesen said:
    The buyer sent that message twice and the next day started return, before I got back to them. I should get it tomorrow. They ended up paying just a touch over $100. I usually have offered free shipping and pay for returns. This guy paid $8 so I am not as mad now.

I probably will not block them but did report them and their message to eBay for 'return extortion', as I call it. Feedback is removed once return has started, as considered a no sale.

I am going to stop 30 day returns as I had one last month where it was started 28 days after sale. Purchaser said 'I just didn't like it'. Is that one of the pull-down options? Ebay gave them a return label and 3 weeks to return it.

You can't stop returns all you do by pretending to stop returns is eliminate buyers who only ship if you allow returns. Other people will just SNAD you or file a charge back anyway.

I'll remind you of a buyer I had of a kilo of silver. After 2 months, they requested a return. I said, fine but I need to charge a restocking fee as silver has declined. They refused my offer. After FIVE months, they filed a credit card chargeback and forced the return on me.

The chargeback trumps any policy you think you have. CC composites allow chargebacks for 6 months and even as long as 18 months.

• Options

scammers going to scam, but going to lower my 30 day permission to less

I just checked now eBay has 14 day, 30 day and 60 day from their dropdown list.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spyglassdesign said:
    I've taken to heart some of the feedback I've gotten here... keep the description to a minimum and let your images tell the story. If you don't give them a description to dispute, then they should understand what they are getting and they can't dispute your description if all you say is what is on the slab. Was it listed as ms65? Was it an ms65? If yes, then the listing was fair and honest as long as the images were representative.

Given the abject STUPIDITY of the new AI-generated descriptions, one or two well-written sentences about the actual coin being sold stand out like a beacon of clarity. Says - to me - hey, this seller knows something about what they are selling!

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2024 7:24AM

Yes you should go to 14 day. Do not refund until received back. Even if you see return tracking - They may simply send it to themselves (or a friend) to scam you. It’s better to be tough than sorry.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

Thanks for suggestions. I seems the buyer may be crazy or dumb. I got 3 messages yesterday while I was at work asking for their refund. Tracking showed them it arrived on the 17th. That was the tracking arriving at their location. It arrived to me yesterday.

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:

@spyglassdesign said:

Given the abject STUPIDITY of the new AI-generated descriptions, one or two well-written sentences about the actual coin being sold stand out like a beacon of clarity. Says - to me - hey, this seller knows something about what they are selling!

Fair point... But still keep it simple and don't try to glow it up or you are just asking for a return...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file