Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1889 IHC Impulse buy

CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought this one thinking it was a proof, very shiny mirror like fields. Now that I'm home I think what I really have is a polished re-toned business strike and a tuition receipt. Any help & thanks in advance?!

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins like that are best bought certified.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe just the photos but that does not resemble a proof strike to my eyes, and the color looks way off.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@Smudge said:
    Coins like that are best bought certified.

Well, it wasn’t certified and how long ago was an MS 64 only worth $90. I’ve had other wins from this pawnshop so I thought maybe I’d get lucky.

• Options

@coinbuf said:
    Maybe just the photos but that does not resemble a proof strike to my eyes, and the color looks way off.

Yes, I’ve been looking at all of the proofs tonight and I agree this doesn’t seem to be a proof. I have some cell phone pics that better demonstrate the flashy fields but again I think it’s just lightly cleaned and re-toned.

• Options
    edited April 20, 2024 7:33PM

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭

Cleaned and retoned, yes. A proof, no.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like you (OP) are surmising, and like others have posted, it is NOT a proof.
    Look at the rims first and foremost to immediately remove it from that category.

As for "buying certified"...at <=$90, not all would be certified if anyone knew what it was. So, if the place (pawnshop?) you bought it from has any knowledge of coins, and/or has mainly certified coins for anything good, then that should have been the first giveaway. Pawnshop owners/workers aren't always stupid when it comes to knowing what they have...

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brings back memories of coins I regretted buying

• Options

@Bochiman said:
    Like you (OP) are surmising, and like others have posted, it is NOT a proof.
    Look at the rims first and foremost to immediately remove it from that category.

As for "buying certified"...at <=$90, not all would be certified if anyone knew what it was. So, if the place (pawnshop?) you bought it from has any knowledge of coins, and/or has mainly certified coins for anything good, then that should have been the first giveaway. Pawnshop owners/workers aren't always stupid when it comes to knowing what they have...

I vaguely remember that conversation, so are we looking for sharpness in the edge of the rims? I’m sure I can go back and compare more images to figure it out. I pretty much knew what I was getting into but in the heat of the moment the what-ifs start happening.
    You know what if it is a proof just slightly worn or what if it is an MS 64…

I got a better one, what if I bring my loupe next time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file