Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1953D Nickel, is it a waste of submission to try and 67 or will it come in lower?

MtW124MtW124 Posts: 307 ✭✭✭✭

I was unable to photograph a shot that I felt represented this coin. This is what I ended up with so I thought would ask here. It has a lot of luster but isn’t the strongest of strikes. In my loupe it appears to be relatively bag mark free and that Ring just under the Hair of Jefferson on the obverse is not showing up at all in my loupe. Not sure what that can be. Thanks for any input as I don’t want to chance a 65-66 if I can help it. Not worth the money to encapsulate it.

Comments

• Options

Thanks Mark

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

63 at best.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Slade01Slade01 Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

That's one well worn out Monticello anvil die.

• Options

Thanks for the input. The luster was blinding me of the truth. What’s the saying, I saw shiny objects and missed what it really was. Hate it when that happens but fortunately I know people lol. You all get me back to reality. Very appreciated.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a die state set that shows coins in different levels of strikes/details. I acquired this set from a 45+ year collector of this series. I tried lessening the glare of lighting for the photos by removing the window slides only to find that each coin has been placed in a kointainer which should also give a clue to the assembler of this set. I've included closeups on two of the coins. How you find this display relevant to this discussion is up to the viewer, I guess. I can think of a few who could use something like this when they're making selections for the best grade of coin.
    If anything, all the coins carry the date 1953-D.....similar to the Op's coin.

Leo 🙂

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options

@leothelyon said:
    Here is a die state set that shows coins in different levels of strikes/details. I acquired this set from a 45+ year collector of this series. I tried lessening the glare of lighting for the photos by removing the window slides only to find that each coin has been placed in a kointainer which should also give a clue to the assembler of this set. I've included closeups on two of the coins. How you find this display relevant to this discussion is up to the viewer, I guess. I can think of a few who could use something like this when they're making selections for the best grade of coin.
    If anything, all the coins carry the date 1953-D.....similar to the Op's coin.

Leo 🙂

Thanks, that helps a lot.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

This coin really illustrates in decline in quality in favor of quantity which is the theme for the Jefferson series for the decade of the 1950s. You would never encounter a 1940-D or 41-D with a look such as this.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file