Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Calling All CRHunters. My first attempt...Quest Over!

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 20, 2024 12:54PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi guys,
Starting Tuesday, April 16th through the 19th.
Will be my first search attempt of 4 Half Dollar boxes, from 4 different banks, in 4 straight days!
Yes! I already placed these orders in ahead of time. 2 out of the 4 banks are the same company but 2 different locations. The other 2 are from 2 other companies.
2- Huntington
1- US Bank
1- PNC
200 Rolls.
Let's GO...
Thanks guys
:)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the hunt is on

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best of luck. Take care of your eyes, Joey. Give them a little relief between rolls. lol
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please please please, do not attempt to lift all four boxes at once.

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me and the wife do four boxes every week but they're all from the same bank. We recently suffered through an entire month of solid 2023-P coins but last week they were mixed, and we did turn up some silver.

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

Run, Joey, run!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

You should try to put an album set, including proofs found in circulation, from all those half dollars.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Which wrapped rolls do you guys prefer?
    The Yellow or Black?

I prefer the Yellow.

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

The yellow is where I got all those 2023's. Black is where I'm getting good stuff.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,931 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck!

• Options

Day 1
    Black!

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've only ever gotten the yellow ones.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2024 11:11AM

Good luck!

I haven’t had much luck, or been doing much searching recently, so I rely on you coin friends here to provide my vicarious thrills!

I did pick up 10 rolls of halfs from an out of town bank about a month ago though. The teller looked at me like I was crazy wanting them too. Said, “nobody wants or uses these things anymore, do they?”
    I was disappointed to see that they were all new 23-d rolls. I was going to give them back but to be polite, kept them. Later, on Ebay, noticed that they’re selling for $18-20 per roll. Can’t understand why!
    I guess I’ll dump them there instead of the bank.

Best of luck and I look forward to seeing your results.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options

Thanks guys

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, enough with the nonsense. Let's talk CRH'ing brass tacks and compare some real notes.

We may have discussed this before, I don't remember. It's still helpful to any new CRH'ers.

How many of these banks you're hitting, do you have accounts with?

How many banks are you hitting that don't require an account?

Do you hit all banks you see, account or no account?

Banks you have hit in the past that won't give you coins because you don't have an account.........Have you gone back 4 or 5 months later, in the hopes tellers or management have changed?

What radius are you traveling to hit these banks?

How many of these banks are you ordering from?

The ones you order from, do they call you when the coins come in?

Where and how are you dumping coins?

Are the coins you're finding and keeping paying for the gas, vehicle maintenance, tolls, etc..?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭

what's in the boxes we can't wait

• Options

@nwcoast said:
    Good luck!

I haven’t had much luck, or been doing much searching recently, so I rely on you coin friends here to provide my vicarious thrills!

I did pick up 10 rolls of halfs from an out of town bank about a month ago though. The teller looked at me like I was crazy wanting them too. Said, “nobody wants or uses these things anymore, do they?”
    I was disappointed to see that they were all new 23-d rolls. I was going to give them back but to be polite, kept them. Later, on Ebay, noticed that they’re selling for $18-20 per roll. Can’t understand why!

Best of luck and I look forward to seeing your results.

They are being OFFERED for $18-20 per roll. But they're not selling much.

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:
    Okay, enough with the nonsense. Let's talk CRH'ing brass tacks and compare some real notes.

We may have discussed this before, I don't remember. It's still helpful to any new CRH'ers.

How many of these banks you're hitting, do you have accounts with?

How many banks are you hitting that don't require an account?

Do you hit all banks you see, account or no account?

Banks you have hit in the past that won't give you coins because you don't have an account.........Have you gone back 4 or 5 months later, in the hopes tellers or management have changed?

What radius are you traveling to hit these banks?

How many of these banks are you ordering from?

The ones you order from, do they call you when the coins come in?

Where and how are you dumping coins?

Are the coins you're finding and keeping paying for the gas, vehicle maintenance, tolls, etc..?

😆
    This reminds me of "Uncle Buck", when the kid keeps rattling questions to John Candy! 😆
    John Candy, " what's your record for most questions asked?"
    🤣

• Options

Day 1
    Box 1

Results,

• Options

@tcollects said:
    what's in the boxes we can't wait

One box per day picked up.

• Options
    edited April 16, 2024 1:15PM

You mean to tell us, you got nothing from a 50 roll box of half dollars? That sucks. I would take them back!! lol
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

This was very odd. I've never received or have seen anything like this before. You mentioned the different colored rolls. I mostly always receive either the yellow, black or blue wrappers. Loomis, Dunbar or N.R. String & Son.

This was an ordered "sealed" bank box with mint rolls inside. The box didn't look tampered with. Some of these rolls were marked and previously belonged to someone.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@joeykoins said:

This reminds me of "Uncle Buck", when the kid keeps rattling questions to John Candy! 😆
    John Candy, " what's your record for most questions asked?"
    🤣

I know my answers. It's your thread, I'm asking you.

You probably don't have time to answer the questions. You're to busy CRH'ing. 🤣 👍 👍 Good luck with the hunt. 👍

• Options

@MarkKelley said:

@nwcoast said:
    Good luck!

They are being OFFERED for $18-20 per roll. But they're not selling much.

Surprisingly, I was looking at completed sales. Couldn’t believe anyone would pay that for these.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two-roll sets of current year halfs cost 34.50 plus postage from the mint. If someone missed 2023 then 19.49 shipped is not a bad deal at all.

• Options

I'm surprised! I haven't had much luck.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck.

Are their many AU's any longer from before 1990. I'm seeing some strong wholesale pries on these.

It's been years since I looked at many half dollars but then there were enough nice AU's to actually make a little money today. There were two or three per roll anyway.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    This was very odd. I've never received or have seen anything like this before. You mentioned the different colored rolls. I mostly always receive either the yellow, black or blue wrappers. Loomis, Dunbar or N.R. String & Son.

This was an ordered "sealed" bank box with mint rolls inside. The box didn't look tampered with. Some of these rolls were marked and previously belonged to someone.

Thatttttt is really odd. I have never seen anything like that.

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.

• Options
    edited April 17, 2024 12:52PM

Day 2
    Bank box
    Well, my 2nd Bank order fell through!
    :#
    So, I am going to wing it today. With a smorgasbord of coin rolls!
    14 $ rolls
    15 Half Dollar rolls,
    some fed, some customer wrapped
    29 rolls.
    Tomorrow, we'll get back on track w/ Half Dollars!
    Here we GO...

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭✭

I'm confused by the folks on this thread who've posted about full boxes of 2023-P & 2023-D halves.............. I thought they were only made for Mint/Proof sets and for sale by the roll by the Mint. Did you get ones re-circulated by purchasers, or has the Mint started putting them out for general circulation again? I'd sure like to be able to get current rolls from my bank once again...... :/

• Options
    edited April 18, 2024 12:26PM

Day 3

Bank 3

Black Box
    Let's GO...

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have fun with it my coin brother and good luck😊

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

Can't wait to go to bank and pick up my 1910 Lincoln Cent Rolls. I think they were all Philly. I feel the old days. By Monday I'll be let down and have said stupid to keep that old stuff. lol
    Best of luck, Joey and any one else so afflicted.
    Jim

• Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go get ‘em Joey & best of luck. Happy hunting!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options

I've had more luck finding silver in the yellow boxes, but usually only able to find black boxes here.

• Options

Update:
    First 10 rolls...
    NADA!
    :/

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck, hoping you find silver soon.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

Good luck Joey.
    I’m rooting for you!!

• Options

You guys sentiments are very appreciated, thank you!
    ;)

• Options
    edited April 19, 2024 11:01AM

Day 3
    Box 3 Results

Oh! I did find an excellent condition 1989d. Beautiful high grade! I'm soaking it in acetone at the moment.
    This quest is not going very well!
    Last box next
    Day 4
    Box 4

• Options

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like you may now have searched every Half Dollar in the US.

What kind of reaction do you get at the banks when you return the half dollars you have searched?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2024 9:21AM

@291fifth said:
    It looks like you may now have searched every Half Dollar in the US.

What kind of reaction do you get at the banks when you return the half dollars you have searched?

Not much.
    They all love me there!
    My charm distracts them from my coin returns.
    :D
    No, seriously.
    I return my coins at several different locations. They don't seem to be bothered.
    I do provide some treats every now and then.

• Options
    edited April 19, 2024 10:54AM

Oh, I must admit. After all the banks I visit, many, many. It's bound to happen adventally. A couple banks do get bothered and ask me if I have an,
    "Business Account?" Meaning, they won't allow me to receive a bank box of coins! Now, I'm talking about banks I do have accounts with.
    So, recently. I went through the route to achieve an "Business Account." Through my Ebay account. So, now. I DO have an Business account!
    Here's the funny issue. They want to charge me now If I ask for coins! In which, previously. Without an Business account, it would be FREE!
    😅
    The fees are quite small so I don't mine paying.
    At least they can't deny me any coins when I ask.

• Options
    edited April 19, 2024 12:26PM

OK,
    Day 4
    Bank 4

Let's GO...
    Black Box, last chance!

• Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭✭

I have bought rolls of halves (nothing but halves) since the mid 1980's. I ask for rolls and have never bought a bank box. I have had good luck with customer wrapped rolls and have picked up quite a few of the mint wrapped half dollar rolls. The silver goes in the silver stash, I look at most of the halves and search for high quality ones that can fit into my Kennedy half set and then store away the rest. Periodically I will take in a lot of rolls to my credit union and have no issue with them taking them.

My last big score was 40+ rolls I got from my bank. They were glad to get rid of them and once searched gave up 2 rolls of 40% and 7 90% plus a Franklin Half. I found 6 nice coins that went into my half dollar set and the rest are rolled and in the stash.

I think you would tend to do better in finding silver if you just ask for rolls rather than boxes. I think percentage wise I've gotten quite a bit more silver out of customer wrapped rolls than you seem to get out of bank boxes. I have a good relationship, in all 3 banks and 2 credit unions I use and they will usually call me when they have a few rolls in or will let me know when I do come in that they have something in the vault. It's a long term relationship in all the cases. I am pretty sure if someone without an account and without the relationship were to come in asking for boxes they would probably be turned away. The days of pleasant service and "how may I help you" are rapidly disappearing except in cases where you have a good relationship.

Good luck with your search. There is still silver out there. Keep looking.

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently got a $25 box in Cents. I was told that they will now charge $4 for the box since I only have a customer acct. That's 16% interest. Do you think that's fair or reasonable?

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    MtW124MtW124 Posts: 311 ✭✭✭✭

@Stooge said:
    I recently got a $25 box in Cents. I was told that they will now charge $4 for the box since I only have a customer acct. That's 16% interest. Do you think that's fair or reasonable?

Find a different bank or get 10 rolls at a time. Mine is 5 so I skirt it because it’s a local bank with 6 branches within 10 miles. I just hit them an in the course of going through my daily travels. They don’t like it but don’t stop me from getting roll with no fee attached.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBSTrader2 said:
    I'm confused by the folks on this thread who've posted about full boxes of 2023-P & 2023-D halves.............. I thought they were only made for Mint/Proof sets and for sale by the roll by the Mint. Did you get ones re-circulated by purchasers, or has the Mint started putting them out for general circulation again? I'd sure like to be able to get current rolls from my bank once again...... :/

Starting in 2021, Half Dollars are once again back in "circulation"....and that is why people are reporting finding full rolls of dates from 2021-2023.

Here is a PCGS article about the 2021 coins:

https://www.pcgs.com/news/half-dollars-in-circulation-again

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for that info!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file