Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The US Mint prices remind me of Crazy Eddie.

lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

Insane!

LCoopie = Les

Comments

• Options

__> @jmlanzaf said:

That's what it costs to make them. If you don't like the value, ya just don't buy them.

Thanks for the advice.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2024 4:36AM

I fondly remember Crazy Eddie on Kings Highway and who turned out to be a crook.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

They even have a snappy slogan on their mintsite. Connecting America through Coins! I can see a Crazy Eddie waving a flag saying this with maybe a megaphone!

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2024 5:40AM

@PerryHall said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    That's what it costs to make them. If you don't like the value, ya just don't buy them.

The US Mint has a monopoly so I'm not so sure that they aren't adding a profit to their actual cost to make them.
    Also, your "if you don't like the value, ya just don't buy them" advice is sort of obvious but thanks anyway for sharing that with us.

They do make a small profit. You can read their annual report.

My comment was more chock full of information than the OP's one word generic complaint. But thank you for taking the time out of your day to register a complaint!

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    But thank you for taking the time or if your day to register a complaint!

You're welcome but I'm not sure what you are saying. By "or if", did you mean to say "out of"? ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    But thank you for taking the time or if your day to register a complaint!

You're welcome but I'm not sure what you are saying. By "or if", did you mean to say "out of"? ;)

I sure did.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2024 6:05AM

Their products remind me why I haven't purchased much in the past few years.
    I can dig out of a hole sooner buying from Costco. And their silver and gold is just as fine. Coins for the woke ?

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ya, I use to buy proof sets, mint sets and silver eagles every year. The big price increases that started in 2021 stopped all my orders from the mint. The mint is not low-budget collector friendly.

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭✭

The price is the price, complaining about them serves no purpose whatsoever. Whining threads are a dime a dozen. There is no weapon to your head forcing you to buy what they sell.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, the price increases have created a transition for me away from moderns and towards classics. And most of the classics are holding their value well compared to most moderns. Thank you, US Mint! B)

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options

He wasn’t Eddie!

They would match any price!

LCoopie = Les
  • Options

Wow. A blast from the past! Crazy Eddie - Prices so low, they’re INSANE!!!!

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old money’s better than new.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

This makes me thinking of Malfunctioning Eddie…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb-AA1P5wB4

• Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Four coin gold set would be $6072 if was selling today.

• Options
    LiquidatedLiquidated Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

@goldbuffalo said:

1.85 oz x $2,400 … $4440 spot
    $1631 over…36% premium

It is a lower volume higher margin approach. The comment above regarding cost to manufacture is bs.

There is not a reasonable justification to these premiums. Really wanted the late year gold release of Flowing Hair but the mint wont be sucking it from me.

• Options

@Liquidated said:

@goldbuffalo said:

$1631 over…36% premium

It is a lower volume higher margin approach. The comment above regarding cost to manufacture is bs.

There is not a reasonable justification to these premiums. Really wanted the late year gold release of Flowing Hair but the mint wont be sucking it from me.

Look at their annual report. They don't make a much as you think. Fixed costs have to be distributed over fewer coins. It's not bullion and all profit.

Just to use round numbers, if the fixed costs of a new issue is $100,000 and you sell 1000 coins, the fixed cost adds $100 to each coin even if you make it out of bubble gum and don't use boxes to hold them.

They make money NOW, but prior to the price increases a few years ago (2019?), they lost money every year on annual sets and commemoratives.

Last year their net margin was only 17.2% compared to less than 1% in 2019 and losses in most years prior.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Liquidated said:

@goldbuffalo said:

$1631 over…36% premium

Look at their annual report. They don't make a much as you think. Fixed costs have to be distributed over fewer coins. It's not bullion and all profit.

Just to use round numbers, if the fixed costs of a new issue is $100,000 and you sell 1000 coins, the fixed cost adds $100 to each coin even if you make it out of bubble gum and don't use boxes to hold them.

They make money NOW, but prior to the price increases a few years ago (2019?), they lost money every year on annual sets and commemoratives.

Last year their net margin was only 17.2% compared to less than 1% in 2019 and losses in most years prior.

“ Last year their net margin was only 17.2% compared to less than 1% in 2019 and losses in most years prior.”

US Mint is a government entity not a for profit corporation. Margin only 17% vs 23% prior year…
    Wow. Wish could buy into this.

• Options

Maybe the US Mint should subcontract out to Moonlight or Intaglio. They have a better handle on required premiums.

2023 Proof Gold Buffalo is $3290
    2021-2022 Proof Gold Buffalo can be bought $2800.

How protected is a seller after paying the new issue premiums???

At the end of the day people are paying huge premiums. People are free to spend money however they please. Prevailing minds can only sit back and be entertained by others misguidance.

• Options
    edited April 19, 2024 3:20AM

@Liquidated said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Liquidated said:

@goldbuffalo said:

$1631 over…36% premium

“ Last year their net margin was only 17.2% compared to less than 1% in 2019 and losses in most years prior.”

US Mint is a government entity not a for profit corporation. Margin only 17% vs 23% prior year…

Buy into what? As a taxpayer, I don't want them losing money to stoke my habit.

• Options
    edited April 18, 2024 5:09PM

@Liquidated said:
    Maybe the US Mint should subcontract out to Moonlight or Intaglio. They have a better handle on required premiums.

2023 Proof Gold Buffalo is $3290
    2021-2022 Proof Gold Buffalo can be bought $2800.

How protected is a seller after paying the new issue premiums???

At the end of the day people are paying huge premiums. People are free to spend money however they please. Prevailing minds can only sit back and be entertained by others misguidance.

Really? Dan Carr charges $75 to $125 for a 1 oz silver medal. Pretty much the same as the Mint.

And for the record, I don't consider Mint products to be a good value. But I understand the premiums... usually.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Liquidated said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Liquidated said:

@goldbuffalo said:

$1631 over…36% premium

But into what? As a taxpayer, I don't want them losing money to stoke my habit.

@jmlanzaf said:

@Liquidated said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Liquidated said:

@goldbuffalo said:

$1631 over…36% premium

But into what? As a taxpayer, I don't want them losing money to stoke my habit.

Have all you want of the mint premiums with what ever means you feel justify it. Not my place to make the buyers whole. Enjoy your future purchases!

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2024 8:00PM

We had a "CRAZY" salesman in my area,,,,,, he sold guns,,,,, in his commercials he would pitch his product and his crazy low prices. His slogan was, "cause I don't want to make any money folks,,,,,, I just love to sell guns"

Don's Guns
    https://youtu.be/HhmauUQtSy0?si=dZRTs500iMZ8BpoA

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭

@lcoopie said:
    I fondly remember Crazy Eddie on Kings Highway and who turned out to be a crook.

But he was so darn cool

• Options

@erscolo said:
    The price is the price, complaining about them serves no purpose whatsoever. Whining threads are a dime

@jmski52 said:
    The mint is not low-budget collector friendly.

The Mint isn't collector friendly, period.

Well said.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 'crazy' salesman approach brings back memories of another TV commercial that was on many many time.....

"I'll paint ANY CAR for $49.95!!" I think his first name was Earl if I remember correctly. As inflation increased back then, the price went up to $59.95, and perhaps had another price increase or two before the commercials seemed to fade away.

----- kj
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

Earl Scheib
    https://youtu.be/Auvf7DDw5z0?si=hXkXlf42qVuJXeDZ

@tincup said:
    The 'crazy' salesman approach brings back memories of another TV commercial that was on many many time.....

"I'll paint ANY CAR for $49.95!!" I think his first name was Earl if I remember correctly. As inflation increased back then, the price went up to $59.95, and perhaps had another price increase or two before the commercials seemed to fade away.

GrandAm :)
  • Options

As to the price of the US Mint offerings... they are a MONOPOLY. There is little incentive to reduce costs, and can increase prices however they want. You may want to believe they are 'non profit' or charging only to get their costs covered. Perhaps they are, but as a monopoly they again have little or no incentive to reduce costs. And... I would also wonder just how accurate their reports are, regarding their costs. Are collector coins in any way subsidizing other costs at the US Mint, etc.?

Mint it and they will come. The US Mint knows all it has to do is keep throwing those bleh designs out there, and many of you will drool and snap them up. (not criticizing anyone... we all collect what we want. Me too) If you are good with the way things are, and what is being offered... no problem! Good for you, and good for the US Mint!

----- kj
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember Earl Scheib. They told you to be sure to leave your windshield wipers on when you pull your car into the spray booth. ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

Things are not likely to change unless competition is brought into play. That tends to reduce costs, and improve products. Do we REALLY need that fancy packaging and gimmicks that the US Mint is constantly using? They do so, so they can charge more, and make more profit. I believe there are other private minting facilities that could be contracted for any issue, and produce the product with much less overhead and extra cost.

Oh well... Mint it and they will come. We each collect what we want.

----- kj
  • Options

@tincup said:
    Things are not likely to change unless competition is brought into play. That tends to reduce costs, and improve products. Do we REALLY need that fancy packaging and gimmicks that the US Mint is constantly using? They do so, so they can charge more, and make more profit. I believe there are other private minting facilities that could be contracted for any issue, and produce the product with much less overhead and extra cost.

Oh well... Mint it and they will come. We each collect what we want.

You're never going to get legal competition.

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2024 10:28AM

@PerryHall said:
    I remember Earl Scheib. They told you to be sure to leave your windshield wipers on when you pull your car into the spray booth. ;)

Earl Scheib (car painter) and Wall-to-Wall Walton (carpets) forever embedded in your brain from constant Chicago-area TV ads in the seventies on channels 9, 26, and 32.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    Slade01Slade01 Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

Since the mint loses money making those ugly lightweight modern pennies, they need to make it up in volume (j/k) -- or make actual profit though seigniorage on other denominations or make money on their "collector" coins.

Sadly, I know people who have been collecting proof sets since 1969 thinking they are leaving something for their heirs. After that long I just don't have the heart to tell them.

• Options

When I look at other mints, it seems the premiums they charge are often higher than the U.S. Mint.

One day I'd love to see a U.S. proof coin in a sapphire coin capsule. There are inexpensive watches that have sapphire crystals--why not super expensive precious metal coins? Plastic coin capsules are kinda odd wrapped around thousands of dollars in metal when you think about it.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

Guess I was off a little on the price... appears they started at $29.95! Found a joke/comment on line that I enjoyed; "At Earl Scheib we'll paint any car for $29.95. Leave the windows down and we'll do the interior for free! " Definitely a classic!!

----- kj
  • Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Numismetal said:
    When I look at other mints, it seems the premiums they charge are often higher than the U.S. Mint.

It presumably depends upon which one and the product. I'm only somewhat familiar with a few, but my inference is that the usually lower or much lower mintages even from the larger collector markets provide better long-term price support, despite the much bigger US collector base. Most US Mint products don't have a strong collector preference which is why so many have lost value in the secondary market.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file