Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Heritage $500 video, to do or not to do?

I am just a lowly collector but am selling some coins in an upcoming auction (love the hobby but kids college coming due!). Heritage has offered to have videos made for 3 of my coins that are in the $10-17,000 range. Is it worth it? Any insights from those of you who are more involved in this type of thing (99% of you I would guess) very much appreciated. Thank you

BAYOUBENGAL
CFA, LSU AND ANA

Comments

• Options
    Coins4EliCoins4Eli Posts: 15 ✭✭

I personally dont care for the videos that Heritage produces. I think that they make the coin's luster look dull and lifeless. IMO, its just not worth it.

Member of Early American Coppers (EAC), American Numismatic Association (ANA), and Missouri Numismatic Society (MNS). Specializing in early American copper by die variety.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

got some pics?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    BAYOUBENGALBAYOUBENGAL Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

Honest question, can I post links from Heritage here that have the pics? Is this against the posting rules?

BAYOUBENGAL
    CFA, LSU AND ANA
  • Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAYOUBENGAL said:
    Honest question, can I post links from Heritage here that have the pics? Is this against the posting rules?

if you are just posting pics I think that is fine. But links or info regarding the sale should be in the BST forum to avoid the appearance of advertising your own sales. Might be best to go there regardless but just by asking the question and trying to do things the right way buys you a lot of credibility in my book.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

As they say in Texas , El Paso.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2024 5:15PM

I don’t care for their videos, either, and I certainly don’t think they’re worth $500. I could make a very similar video with my iPhone for free. JMHO.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

so for $500 more in seller fees, they will make a couple minute video of the auction lot they are also getting buyers premium from when it sells?

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think a video is necessary. I would pass.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shop around. There are other auction companies.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    so for $500 more in seller fees, they will make a couple minute video of the auction lot they are also getting buyers premium from when it sells?

Yes, it is about a 30 second crude video of the obverse and then reverse. They show the coin tilting in the light.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Iv reviewed the videos on specific coins prior to bidding, sometimes helpful other times not so much, but holy cow thats a lot of extra money for the consignor. A coin thats valued enough to think about getting one, they are making so much on it to start with, to require another 500 seems a bit steep IMO

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭

Why the need all of a sudden. How many auctions and how many coins have no videos ie not worth the significant amount money of for a tiny effort that makes little difference imo

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everything is negotiable. If HA wants $500 for a video I would demand hammer + another point for your consignment otherwise I would probably pass unless there’s something unique about your coins.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAYOUBENGAL said:

Post the pics on the BST, would like to see them all

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I rather spend my time researching a coin, including values, than looking at a video of a coin.

• Options
    UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does Stack's charge for their videos?

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

GC also offers such enhanced marketing options for a fee, although for much lower than $500.
    I don’t find these options objectionable But then I am always baffled by people’s indignance to a la carte pricing -
    such as how dare a bargain airline charge me per piece of luggage.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UltraHighRelief said:

When you submit for CMQ they do these for $20:
    https://youtu.be/b5D5ubc1_Aw
    But given the lack of videos in their recent auction, I'm guessing they don't charge or they don't offer.

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 906 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2024 12:03PM

@ProofCollection said:

@UltraHighRelief said:

When you submit for CMQ they do these for $20:
    https://youtu.be/b5D5ubc1_Aw
    But given the lack of videos in their recent auction, I'm guessing they don't charge or they don't offer.

that's pretty cool, I watched it for 20 seconds and thought it's moving real slow, then I pressed play

• Options
    AZDAVYAZDAVY Posts: 69 ✭✭✭

Wow 500.00 sure seems a lot. Seems that the auction house on such an expensive coin should pay that / offer it for free if it helps sell the coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file