Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

65 Quarter - Shadow Line Through Date

I collect 65 quarters here and there and found this one. Nothing too unusual, except for the faint-ish wavy line running across the date, which caught my eye. It doesn't seem like an early die break, but I can't figure it out otherwise.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Also, some minor doubling on TRUST, but I'm guessing that's just machine doubling.

Comments

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess would be a fairly worn die, given the the distortion on IN GOD WE TRUST.

----- kj
  • Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭

Would have liked to see the whole coin but it may be a ridge ring caused
    by a deteriorating die.

• Options

@Greenstang said:
    Would have liked to see the whole coin but it may be a ridge ring caused
    by a deteriorating die.

Here's a few of the whole coin. Sorry for the picture quality:

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Others know way better so please take this with a grain of salt...but maybe wheel damage?

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish
    As said, I would feel this most likely.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say well worn die. THe Mint was coining like mad to replace the entire stock of dimes and quarters because it knew that the older silver coins would quickly be withdrawn.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file