Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Lazy Grading

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not only is there no grade assigned- I get that- Services have been doing that for a bit.
Yet. . . no real date? The actual date can't be placed on the insert? Too much effort?!

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is certainly one step above the ungraded label.
    My guess is that a dealer had tons of 1971-1974 Silver Ikes and NGC agreed to a reduced bulk price as long as they could just reuse the same label (with the only change being the cert number).

• Options

@U1chicago said:
    My guess is that a dealer had tons of 1971-1974 Silver Ikes and NGC agreed to a reduced bulk price as long as they could just reuse the same label (with the only change being the cert number).

My thoughts exactly, other than I spend time on eBay and other auction sites specifically searching for PCGS and NGC Ike dollars and over the course of doing so this is the single example I have seen offered for sale.
    I would think there would be other examples I would have stumbled upon in the last few months.

peacockcoins

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@U1chicago said:

My thoughts exactly, other than I spend time on eBay and other auction sites specifically searching for PCGS and NGC Ike dollars and over the course of doing so this is the single example I have seen offered for sale.
    I would think there would be other examples I would have stumbled upon in the last few months.

It is an older label, so it was a while back that these were sent in. Maybe some are still around while others could have been cracked and sent to be melted when silver spiked in 2011.
    Or it could be a one off/part of a small test batch done for a dealer who then decided against slabbing more.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's not even NGC's name or logo on there.

Probably a TV infomercial slab that NGC offered the cheapest possible form or bulk grading for.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

@Kliao said:

Probably a TV infomercial slab that NGC offered the cheapest possible form or bulk grading for.

Here is the reverse of the slab:

peacockcoins

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well they got the Brilliant part down!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3DPKf7y1F-Q

• Options
    OldeTowneCoinShoppeOldeTowneCoinShoppe Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2024 5:09AM

I don't see a problem here. It's a type representative for Eisenhower dollars of '71 - '74, any date of which would satisfy type requirements.

James at EarlyUS.com

On the web: http://www.earlyus.com
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see these and just pass them by unless they are a particular VAM

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

@yspsales said:
    I see these and just pass them by unless they are a particular VAM

You'd pass them all by, then since there are no Ike VAMs.

I see these occasionally with Morgan Dollars as well.

Guess bulk grading promotion related

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dave99B said:
    Could be worse. The label could just say ‘COIN’.

Dave

:D

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

As already stated elsewhere, TV seller bulk sub. Saves a lot of time printing labels. These are probably the reason for and result of multiple recent bulk blue and brown Ike wholesale buy offers. I sold a bunch of overstock to a fellow dealer who stopped by on his way to a show to blow out what he'd accumulated, and I imagine it was to feed this or some similar promo. And yes they do it on generic date commercial BU Morgan/Peace as well.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

The blue box labels were used for all kinds of promotional slabs. You could get them to put just about anything on the label for a modest price - look up Mad Marty.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:

That's what I think.
    I just saw another one today. I believe it was an 1893 $10 gold piece.
    A large hoard. Only 200 a d they set the clock counting down 10.
    What's sad is that many people do get taken this way.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@U1chicago said:

No doubt, the other hundreds or thousands of examples were quickly scooped up by buyers who (mistakenly) thought they were buying rare, valuable grading label errors.

😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@braddick said:

@U1chicago said:

No doubt, the other hundreds or thousands of examples were quickly scooped up by buyers who (mistakenly) thought they were buying rare, valuable grading label errors.

😉

Ouch. That stung a little bit.

(Your reasoning is exactly why I did purchase this one...)

:neutral:

peacockcoins

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@MFeld said:

@braddick said:

@U1chicago said:

😉

Ouch. That stung a little bit.

(Your reasoning is exactly why I did purchase this one...)

:neutral:

I’m sorry - that wasn’t my intent.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

My Ike shown above has a buddy.

peacockcoins

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

The smaller coin for the youngins loses its effectiveness when they don't also shrink the slab

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

great idea airplanenut, a 2x2 slab for the smaller coins would be cool - and slab box collectors would have another size to include.

• Options

@davewesen said:
    great idea airplanenut, a 2x2 slab for the smaller coins would be cool - and slab box collectors would have another size to include.

You can’t make it too small because the young Collectors could choke on them.

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

@davewesen said:

Youngens don't like the taste of buffalo.

peacockcoins

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@Coinscratch said:

@davewesen said:

Youngens don't like the taste of buffalo.

Good point... flavor them like detergent

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:

@davewesen said:

how big do you have to be before you can swallow a 2x2 ? I am not sure I could now, but I have not tried.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Dave99B said:
    Could be worse. The label could just say ‘COIN’.

Dave

It could be a lot more worse. The label could be in cursive and half the young coin collectors wouldn't be able to read it. :o

@braddick said:

I was going to say it could be worse and show no grade at all. Well, what do you know, they do exist!

• Options

@davewesen said:

@Coinscratch said:

@davewesen said:

how big do you have to be before you can swallow a 2x2 ? I am not sure I could now, but I have not tried.

I don’t know, but it says right there on the label Not Good for Consumption.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file