Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PNNA Show Report - Friday, April 12

airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

The PNNA show is a twice-yearly show just outside of Seattle. It's the biggest show in the Northwest, and it's close to home. Unfortunately I was sick today, so instead of going to work I went to the coin show ;)

I used to go to the show for early bird hours, but in recent years dealer setup has been slow, so I'd spend a lot of those bonus 3 hours getting my steps in but not seeing much, and I'd still have to walk the show after it opened to the public. I opted to just go for regular hours today and arrived a few minutes after the show opened.

I spent a little over 3 hours at the show, walking the floor twice and chatting/catching up with a few dealers. As far as coins go, the selection was similar to past shows, with range of price levels including very inexpensive to some big ticket pieces, but a lot of coins in the $50-500 range, and a good mix of US and foreign material. I looked at a few pieces and bought a proof 1938 Jefferson nickel with bright neon target toning on the obverse--one of those coins that didn't fill a hole, but I like it. Attendance seemed pretty good, and as always seems to be the case, people were walking without looking and talking with their hands much too much for my comfort. I'm still recovering from not taking anyone out with my cart at Costco yesterday, and I'm proud to say the show continued my streak of non-contact events, although my terrible poker face may have shared my opinions with others.

The one unusual (for this show) thing I noticed was silver. Yes, there are usually a few dealers with mostly bullion, and a couple more that have a bar or two, but HOLY COW, I'd bet half the dealers in attendance had multiple 10+oz silver bars in their cases. I can't say how well it was selling, but I think anyone with silver in their inventory brought it along.

Among forumites, my usual conversation with @Lakesammman and @Bochiman didn't take place because they weren't there. As a result, the number of insults I levied or were levied at me was drastically lower than at past shows. I had a nice chat with @ThePennyLady before I headed out. When I got to her table someone was showing her a coin (which I didn't see) and in reference to something on it, she stated "it's not ugly, but it bothers me." I couldn't help but note that I think many people think the same about me.

After seeing the whole show twice and knowing I wasn't going to grab anything else, it was back home. Miraculously, I'm feeling 100% again, just in time for the weekend.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report and sorry to "disappoint" you, Jeremy ;)
    I'll try to make up for it next time.

For the silver bit, I'm guessing that a lot of those bars were put away the last couple of years due to pricing and many not wanting to "lose" money on them. With the recent uptick, I think they are wanting to try to sell while they can and break even or make a little bit.

Glad you found something to grab and looking forward to a pick.

PS...blame Lakesalmon for us not being there. I feel incomplete for setting up without him >:)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your show report.

• Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report!

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report there Jeremy.

No old holders of note? Usually someone has a few! :)

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭✭

Fun read!

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great read Jeremy! I have lurked on your posts ever since the old 'auction' days when I bought a few of those US Flag slab holders!

I seem to also get uncharacteristically ill when shows start. Thank goodness I don't go to work and contaminate anyone . . . . I just go look at filthy lucre and get magically better !

Drunner

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good use of a sick day! Thanks for your report. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

A day at a coin show is better than a day at work.

• Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭✭

Nice report

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SurfinxHI said:
    Nice report there Jeremy.

No old holders of note? Usually someone has a few! :)

I saw a few doilies and a white label NGC, but they looked like they were in case are the dealer knew what he had, so nothing of interest for me. I’m not big on holders, but would be happy to cherry-pick one. If the dealer knows, I’m not one to pay up.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2024 10:39AM

Thanks for the report, and I’m glad you’re feeling better! ;-)
    I was very much hoping to attend, but as is sometimes the case, other issues and obligations got in the way.
    At least I wasn’t sick THIS time! Missed the last two shows due to illness’s.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    CircCamCircCam Posts: 238 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut - Great report. My tired brain didn’t realize I was posting in your thread. Hopefully mine can just be considered supplementary detail :D

Which reminds me - maybe @2windy2fish will share the wicked half dime he picked up there. One of the cooler coins I saw.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks for the report, Jeremy. an enjoyable read!

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report!

I was particularly struck by your experience with the "early entry" being a disappointment. The only coin show I've ever been to was a PNNA show several years ago. I was all excited, and paid the $25 to get early entry. Only to find that no vendors were set up, and didn't bother until almost noon. So I wasted my money, which put a sour taste in my mouth for the show even once they got set up. I left sorely disappointed, and have not been to another show since.

• Options
    CircCamCircCam Posts: 238 ✭✭✭✭✭

Early bird fee is now $50 too, I tend to get there early to beat traffic but I can’t justify the EB at that price for the same reasons mentioned.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes EB are worth it - at least the vest pocket dealers think so.

I volunteered at last year's TNA and ended up selling EB badges at one point. I had to beat them off with a stick to even be able to log in the money - they were throwing it at me.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@124Spider said:
    Thanks for the report!

I was particularly struck by your experience with the "early entry" being a disappointment. The only coin show I've ever been to was a PNNA show several years ago. I was all excited, and paid the $25 to get early entry. Only to find that no vendors were set up, and didn't bother until almost noon. So I wasted my money, which put a sour taste in my mouth for the show even once they got set up. I left sorely disappointed, and have not been to another show since.

To me, also having paid for early entry years ago, it isn't worth it for the normal collector. If you are vest pocket dealer, then it can be worth it to work your wares for selling to the dealers setting up.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, Charmy was at TNA and had a bunch of people around her table during setup.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

Looks like a nice show.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the reports APN and Charmy.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭

Charmy,
    I like your reports with photos, makes me feel that I went too, keep them coming please

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ThePennyLady said:
    So I told Jeremy @airplanenut that I no longer do show reports for the smaller shows I attend because my reports tend to be redundant with the same faces, places and coins to talk about. However, I promised him I would take a few photos of this show, especially from the air, and post them on his thread, so here goes!

flying from OC to Seattle

photos from Friday around the bourse floor

chatting with Jeremy @airplanenut

Daryl @2windy2fish who knows I collect encased pennies gave me this Lincoln cent in an old cardboard encasement

I had just acquired a neat set of Indian and Lincoln cent varieties and and key dates in the old small white "Soap Box" ANACS holders so I displayed them all together in my case

Two of the wines I brought - both Caymus and Cakebread have wonderful cabs

As many of you know, whenever I do the Tukwila show I stay with my brother Paul and his new wife Lori who don't live too far. They belong to the Chateau St. Michelle winery so after the show on Friday, we went there for some wine tasting and listening to whoever is performing in the winery. This is my brother photobombing my photo!

Me and Lori

My new purchases from the show

On Saturday night after the show, we went to a wonderful restaurant called The Cliffs which is up on the hill over looking the ocean - such a beautiful view including Mt. Ranier!

The view of Mt. Ranier from the airplane on the way home!

Coming into the OC Airport - some of you may have heard that one of the two historic WWII blimp hangers which were made of wood burned down a few months ago. It was very tragic - this is a view of the platform where the burned hanger used to be (to the left), as well as the remaining hanger (to the right)

Let me say in closing that, aside from the great time I have visiting with Paul and Lori, the Tukwila show is one of the friendliest and fun shows I set up at. All the folks who help put it together are amazing and do whatever it takes to make this a successful and enjoyable show for the dealers, as well as the collectors. They even provide a concierge lounge for the dealers filled with coffee, water, fruit, yogurt, bagels, and many other snacks where we can go throughout the day. Also, this particular show was one of my most successful recent shows, with several of my key date coins selling, and many of my high end red Lincolns going to new homes. I look forward to the next show in October!

Still like enjoy your recaps however short they may be. Liked the Mt. Rainer,blimp site photos as well.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ThePennyLady said:
    So I told Jeremy @airplanenut that I no longer do show reports for the smaller shows I attend because my reports tend to be redundant with the same faces, places and coins to talk about. However, I promised him I would take a few photos of this show, especially from the air, and post them on his thread, so here goes!

flying from OC to Seattle

FYI, this is Hetch Hetchy Reservoir, Yosemite National Park, where San Francisco and San Mateo counties get their drinking water.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file