Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Poll for Commemorative Coin Registry Type Set Collectors

DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

Currently there are 485 participants in the 50 coin commemorative coin type set and 116 participants in the 11 coin gold commemorative set.

Should a new category be created combining the two sets and limiting the gold coins to the following seven gold type coins?
1903 LA Purchase, Jefferson or McKinley
1904 or 1905 Lewis and Clark
1915-S $1 Panama-Pacific
1916 or 1917 McKinley
1922 Grant, No Star or With Star
1915-S $2.50 Panama-Pacific
1926 Sesquicentennial

Poll for Commemorative Coin Registry Type Set Collectors

This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

Only a new one not replacing old ones. Cover all bases.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

How about a 7 coin “Short Set” for the gold coins? I think PCGS might actually do that one.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

PCGS should add a Lowball Gold 11 coin Coommemorative set

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

No, that's kinda putting the silver commems at a a disadvantage some, jmo. Any other input is welcome as well 👍

• Options

@johnny9434 said:
    No, that's kinda putting the silver commems at a a disadvantage some, jmo. Any other input is welcome as well 👍

Well, the goal would be to complete the set, otherwise, why participate?

• Options

@pocketpiececommems said:
    PCGS should add a Lowball Gold 11 coin Coommemorative set

And you are voting "No?"

• Options
    edited April 13, 2024 8:22AM
    No

@DisneyFan said:

@johnny9434 said:

Agreed, but for some they can only do silver commems. It's just a thought and that's it, just saying 🤙

• Options

@johnny9434 said:

@DisneyFan said:

@johnny9434 said:

Agreed, but for some they can only do silver commems. It's just a thought and that's it, just saying 🤙

Understood. We are talking about creating a new category, not replacing the current categories.

• Options
    No

Understood, 👍

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

How common is it for the same collector to collect both?

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Make it really complete and add the 48CAL QE, and the two $50 Pan Pacs.

• Options

@WCC said:

It's surprising to me that more don't. I can see that collecting gold commemoratives can at first appear daunting. But after one is well on the way to completing the silvers, the golds would appear to be achievable. The golds certainly have lost favor over the years, especially with "double" coins.

• Options

@DisneyFan said:

@WCC said:

It's surprising to me that more don't. I can see that collecting gold commemoratives can at first appear daunting. But after one is well on the way to completing the silvers, the golds would appear to be achievable. The golds certainly have lost favor over the years, especially with "double" coins.

I was asking because the answer would determine whether enough might or will care. I haven't checked the prices of the gold $ lately, but last time I did, still thought all were too expensive for the supply and versus other similarly priced coins.

• Options

@WCC said:

I haven't checked the prices of the gold $ lately, but last time I did, still thought all were too expensive for the supply and versus other similarly priced coins.

Can you share how you evaluated the current value of classic commemorative gold coins?

• Options

@DisneyFan said:

@WCC said:

I haven't checked the prices of the gold $ lately, but last time I did, still thought all were too expensive for the supply and versus other similarly priced coins.

Can you share how you evaluated the current value of classic commemorative gold coins?

Not an exact science.

The TPG pops are high IMO for the price. My recollection is that the mintages are considered low for a US coin, but these weren't primarily issued for circulation though I understand some did circulate. The supply isn't low vs. comparably priced US coinage in comparable quality. Yes, scarcer overall but I doubt hardly anyone is trying to buy it in circulated grades.

These are gold with unique designs, but also not as widely collected as any roughly contemporary series. My recollection is that at one time these were widely marketed and if so, probably also to buyers who weren't primarily hobbyist collectors which ran up the price. If not, then I don't know how the coins ever got to the prior prices unless my memory is faulty, and it was tied to the 1989 TPG bubble.

I'd have to perform a more detailed review to confirm what I just wrote, but that's my current perception. High gold spot might (key word) provide price support but financially, too expensive IMO for what the coins actually are as a collectible.

• Options

Trying to evaluate value in terms of price is difficult because each coin series has its own pricing ballpark based it's popularity.

The fact that there are 485 participants in the 50 coin commemorative coin type set and only 116 participants in the 11 coin gold commemorative set tells you silver commemoratives are four times more popular than gold commemoratives.

According to the PCGS price guide, in 9/2006, a MS64 1903 LA Purchase, McKinley was $2,600. Today it is $675. By comparison, a MS64 Hawaiian was $4,800. Today $3,500.

What is the next step for a commemorative coin collector nearing the completion of the 50 coin set? Do they expand it to the 55 "double coins"; i.e., Grant Star, etc? Do they expand to the 144 complete set? Or do they expand to gold commemoratives?

The 11 coin gold set is PCGS $15,625. If one backs out the four "double coins," it is a manageable $10,300 when compared to a $23,115 silver type set. And one could have more meaningful coins than those in the $50,208 144 complete silver set. Of course, there are those who love all the Oregons.

• Options
    edited April 14, 2024 9:23AM
    No

@DisneyFan said:
    Trying to evaluate value in terms of price is difficult because each coin series has its own pricing ballpark based it's popularity.

The fact that there are 485 participants in the 50 coin commemorative coin type set and only 116 participants in the 11 coin gold commemorative set tells you silver commemoratives are four times more popular than gold commemoratives.

According to the PCGS price guide, in 9/2006, a MS64 1903 LA Purchase, McKinley was $2,600. Today it is $675. By comparison, a MS64 Hawaiian was $4,800. Today $3,500.

What is the next step for a commemorative coin collector nearing the completion of the 50 coin set? Do they expand it to the 55 "double coins"; i.e., Grant Star, etc? Do they expand to the 144 complete set? Or do they expand to gold commemoratives?

The 11 coin gold set is PCGS $15,625. If one backs out the four "double coins," it is a manageable $10,300 when compared to a $23,115 silver type set. And one could have more meaningful coins than those in the $50,208 144 complete silver set. Of course, there are those who love all the Oregons.

Others Texas as well, there nice sets

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file