Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Friday night coin fun - The scarcest business strike US coin in my collection... (post yours)

RYKRYK Posts: 35,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 5, 2024 3:58PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The scarcest business strike US coin in my collection that can be found in a Redbook from pre-1980 has a PCGS CoinFacts survival estimate of...

TBA

You show my yours, and I will show you mine. ;)

Exclusions: cherrypicker variety, VAMs, minor error, electron microscope-assisted findings, etc.

Comments

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can probably tell what mine is without seeing it. Mintage 1,600. Estimated survival in all grades ~1,000, 650 of which are 65 or better.

mirabela
  • Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

1870-S $3???????

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2024 5:36PM

@BustDMs said:
    1870-S $3???????

Does not have a known mintage. (Ditto for the 1870-S half dime and 1870-S dollar).
    Still a pretty scarce coin.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

1844 Seated Dollar.

20,000 minted.

50 known in all mint state grades at PCGS and NGC combined.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ranshdow said:
    Mintage: 3888
    Survival estimate: 32, all grades

After I read your post I did a double take on the date thinking this thread was rare from 03 or something Anyways that coin is crazy rare.

• Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@burdell said:
    I have 13 Liberty eagles with a mintage of less than 10,000 and 20 eagles with a CF survival estimate less than 83. Most of the SF eagles were minted to replenish the Bullion Fund. So, I have a split answer.

Lowest mintage is 3750 for 1866:

Gotta love that ‘66 Fairmont Eagle, just a beautiful coin!
    Congrats!👍

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

@epc said:
    1866 half dime, mintage 10,000

Her older sister for me, similar mintage: 13,000 minted

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/detail/4386

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, nice coin @Catbert . You should probably revisit the definition of scarcest. James

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRHer700 said:

561,000 minted, ~1500 estimated to survive. This isn’t as good as many of the coins on this page, but it’s the best that I’ve got. :)

A nickel coin! What happened to them?

• Options

@Barberian said:
    12,000 minted, about 54 currently known.

What happened to them?

• Options

@burdell said:

Most of the SF eagles were minted to replenish the Bullion Fund.
    >
    >
    Can you tell us more about the Bullion Fund?

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2024 5:13AM

This is my scarcest coin with a mintage of 13,140,102 but only 44 in MS67.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

... > @DisneyFan said:

@Barberian said:
    12,000 minted, about 54 currently known.

What happened to them?

Perhaps the lack of interest in collecting branch mints and having relatively few collectors in the west. Most feel they simply disappeared in commerce, though some speculate that perhaps some of the coins were melted.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    burdellburdell Posts: 55 ✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan: Bullion Fund.

I am referring to my period of collecting interest, namely the first SF Mint 1854-1874.

The Bullion Fund is an account of the Mint's transactions of dust, bars and coin plus some miscellaneous things like sweepings. The Mint coined $10 eagles periodically to replenish the Bullion Fund. Think if this as petty cash on hand.

Look at the mintages of eagles and double eagles during this period and you see the great demand for double eagles. Significant quantity of eagles was only coined in 1854(123,826) and 1856(68,000), plus a couple other blips above 15,000.

A customer (a bank or miner) brought dust to the Mint and could request unparted bars, parted bars or coin in return. The Mint would assay the deposit and determine the value of the deposit. This took time. The Mint was not a convenience store!! Customers hand to wait a longer time to receive coin and the length of time also depended on the amount and type of coin available at the sub-Treasury/Customs House. My understanding is this wait was typically about 2 weeks when things were running smoothly. Things did not run smoothly for this Mint often in its first 5-10 years.

Double eagles were in great demand and coined by the Mint constantly. Eagles were not, except for the 2 years mentioned. Eagle deliveries were sporadic: 1, 2 or 3 deliveries per year. Deliveries were standard (5,000) or odd (800, 2500...) amounts. I am reading the tea leaves when I say the eagles were coined to replenish the Bullion Fund. Having eagles available provided better customer service.

This is my quick take on things. Others may fill in the gaps or add details. Ramping up production at this Mint was complicated and difficult given shortages of parting acids, production bottlenecks, etc.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file