Home Precious Metals
Options

Congratulations to gold - New all time highs! $2400+!!!

Comments

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

@DoubleEagle59 said:
    Just think how high the price would be if there was no Bitcoin.

How high would it be? Bitcoin market cap is $1T, gold $16T. I’m not smart enough to do the math.

~ $146ish "assuming" the $1T invested in BTC would entirely be used to purchase gold futures contracts. Highly unlikely. My guess, maybe $5 to $10 higher. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big players that are buying gold are also buying cryptos.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2024 6:18PM

Now over $2400!
    Edited to add: And $29 silver!

• Options

@ProofCollection said:
    Now over $2400!

I got $2386, $13 away from new territory. RGDS!

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2024 12:36AM

Twenty-somethin.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

@jmski52 said:
    Do you think interest rates are high?

Do you think that Paul Volcker raised rates high?

I think he raised rates to the highest level the USA has ever seen. Today's rates appear to be at or even below historical average.

https://advisor.visualcapitalist.com/us-interest-rates/

What do you think?

Demographics were a lot different then, and debt levels in general were lower.

• Options
    edited April 12, 2024 1:24AM

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:
    I'm not expecting interest rates to go down much.
    But if stresses in the banking system increase (which I think is very possible with rates staying higher for longer), I think the Federal Reserve would do more QE behind the scenes rather than lowering interest rates.

Demographics do not support rates at this level.

>

Not sure what you mean? Can you explain?

I've already explained it a few times.

With population levels reaching a plateau, there are not enough new people coming into the system that are willing (and able) to take on new debt to support the exiting debt structures. The inevitable result is inflation and/or default.

That interest rates have been as low as they have been for some time is an indication of this phenomenon.
    The government is now the borrower of last resort.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2024 4:45AM

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:
    But if stresses in the banking system increase (which I think is very possible with rates staying higher for longer), I think the Federal Reserve would do more QE behind the scenes rather than lowering interest rates.

>

With population levels reaching a plateau, there are not enough new people coming into the system that are willing (and able) to take on new debt to support the exiting debt structures. The inevitable result is inflation and/or default.

That interest rates have been as low as they have been for some time is an indication of this phenomenon.

Except the US population continues to grow.

And you think rates will go back towards zero?

If you think rates are headed much lower, then why wouldn't you buy AAA bonds? Some are trading in the 60s (or lower depending on coupon). If rates go to zero they will trade at 100.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

$2400…great times if your looking for an exit from PMs.
    Doesn’t matter much to me. I don’t get excited over all time highs, just like I don’t get stressed out and bothered by the lows.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you think rates are headed much lower, then why wouldn't you buy AAA bonds

Maybe he doesn’t want to get stuck “holding the bag”. Normal people don’t get bailed out by their buddies in DC like bankers do.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

The current physical market is very odd. I won two gold coins (modern commems) in auction yesterday for below the spot price.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options

Yeah, physical premiums have not moved hardly from what I can tell. And silver have a +$1+ day, pretty much hit $30!

• Options

I'll throw this call out here now. Gold/silver ratio is currently 83. Silver is about to start outperforming. Short gold, long silver!
    I see the ratio returning to at least 67.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2024 9:28AM

Well I just did the exact opposite an hour ago. Just traded in 3 kilos of silver at 29.58 and got gold. SHould have waited 30 min to buy the gold though. LOL. I only see moutains of silver and just a few gold coins at shops. THey also are not in a hurry to buy large bars as well. But I got spot so Im happy.

• Options
    PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭

aaaaaaaaaand it's gone.

Today's spike, at least.

• Options

Man that was a fast move. Dang

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

@handyman said:
    Man that was a fast move. Dang

Someone playing with the switch again.
    I don't see what they call a cup and handle :o

• Options

High of $2448.80....
    Someone pulled the plug on the markets, wow what a selloff!

• Options

@handyman said:
    Well I just did the exact opposite an hour ago. Just traded in 3 kilos of silver at 29.58 and got gold. SHould have waited 30 min to buy the gold though. LOL. I only see moutains of silver and just a few gold coins at shops. THey also are not in a hurry to buy large bars as well. But I got spot so Im happy.

I used to buy bullion and a few guns from McBrides back when I lived in the ATX. Glad to see they are still going. RGDS!

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭✭

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    @DoubleEagle59 said:
    Just think how high the price would be if there was no Bitcoin.
    How high would it be? Bitcoin market cap is $1T, gold $16T. I’m not smart enough to do the math.

Figure all crypto is $2 Trillion...if only 10% of that went into gold, it's $200 billion.

That's a pretty big marginal buyer. You are probably talking about gold being 10-15% higher. Maybe 20% if you want to be generous based on COMEX and gold daily liquidity and flows.

• Options

@jmski52 said:
    If you think rates are headed much lower, then why wouldn't you buy AAA bonds

Maybe he doesn’t want to get stuck “holding the bag”. Normal people don’t get bailed out by their buddies in DC like bankers do.

What bag would he hold?

• Options

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

>

If you think rates are headed much lower, then why wouldn't you buy AAA bonds? Some are trading in the 60s (or lower depending on coupon). If rates go to zero they will trade at 100.

Population growth has slowed. Any increases are due to immigration. And new immigrants tend not to take on any significant debt.

The ill-advised Covid lock-downs are what kicked off the inflation episode. If not for that, I think interest rates would be about half of what they are now.

If I thought interest rates were going back towards zero, I still wouldn't buy bonds. I don't invest in other peoples' endeavors - I only "invest" in my own. And I don't want to be caught "holding the bag" on a depreciating dollar.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

>

Population growth has slowed. Any increases are due to immigration. And new immigrants tend not to take on any significant debt.

Seems they might be better stewards of money than home grown folk?

The ill-advised Covid lock-downs are what kicked off the inflation episode. If not for that, I think interest rates would be about half of what they are now.

Yup. Raise the price of crap coming in from China, then destroy the supply chain, then dump trillions on the economy. But look at how much the wealthy have benefitted!!! Even the PM folk are getting in on the game now.

If I thought interest rates were going back towards zero, I still wouldn't buy bonds. I don't invest in other peoples' endeavors - I only "invest" in my own. And I don't want to be caught "holding the bag" on a depreciating dollar.

So you dont want to buy something that could appreciate 50%-while providing an income stream--if rates drop. Got it. I guess I just consider some folks "endeavors" to be worth much much more than others. And I understand the calculus of money.

• Options

@Goldbully said:

The measured expected move in gold was about $400. Which it is exactly what it did.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

>

Yup. Raise the price of crap coming in from China, then destroy the supply chain, then dump trillions on the economy. But look at how much the wealthy have benefitted!!! Even the PM folk are getting in on the game now.

So you dont want to buy something that could appreciate 50%-while providing an income stream--if rates drop. Got it. I guess I just consider some folks "endeavors" to be worth much much more than others. And I understand the calculus of money.

i think the point you’re missing is that there are several entrepreneurs left in this place called America. Some of us invest wholly in our own endeavors. It is a pity you do not see or appreciate that , Dave.
    Everybody is selling something !!! And just how many businesses and business people were literally destroyed by the action of the few in charge during lockdowns ? if some lost everything by 2022, just how are they to crawl out of a man made hole and “invest” ? There are some days I realize the massive amount of ignorance with regards to reality, here. I want to continue investing in myself. No guaranteed returns except satisfaction.

How can you not see Dan’s point or position ? Guess you never dealt with Moonlight Mint. Check it out. It’s right up your alley here on the precious metal forum.

• Options
    edited April 13, 2024 7:12AM

Goldman Sachs ups gold target to $2,700 for year-end. :)

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

in memorial to 2400 gold. let us have a moment of silence

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

@handyman said:

not many people buy large bars, so the shops' bids are lower. think 10 oz max

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2024 8:22PM

I agree and it makes me like gold more as the price of 100oz silver is almost the price of just 1 oz of gold. And almost every shop will jump on buying any amount of gold. So to me gold has less selling hassles🌧. Just the hassle in selling makes me not want to own silver if I want to invest more than 300.00. I like silver but I’m done buying it. Space,time and hassle. Gold

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

Can we have a moment of noise when gold reaches $2400 again?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    edited April 14, 2024 1:00AM

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

>

They tend to live frugally and send money to their families in another country.
    So, in a way yes, I suppose.

Every lock-down, shutdown, and economic slump has had the effect of concentrating wealth into fewer hands.

No, I do not care about any of that.
    I have things that are better (and more fun) to put my money into rather than someone else's debt.

I recommend that anyone invest in their own activities and endeavors first (if they are able), rather than what some "financial planner" would advise.

• Options

I have things that are better (and more fun) to put my money into rather than someone else's debt.

I recommend that anyone invest in their own activities and endeavors first (if they are able), rather than what some "financial planner" would advise.

The moment I got away from living within the corporate/institutional structure was when I began to depend on my own skills & talents. Incidentally that's when I no longer had to depend on my "superiors" biases and motivations.

Even if you work directly for the banking cabal, you must come to realize that your bosses have exactly zero interest in your well-being. Absolutely ZERO. You may be brainwashed now, but I guarantee you that you will wise up sooner - or in some cases, much later.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2024 7:41PM

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

>

i think the point you’re missing is that there are several entrepreneurs left in this place called America. Some of us invest wholly in our own endeavors. It is a pity you do not see or appreciate that , Dave.
    How can you not see Dan’s point or position ? Guess you never dealt with Moonlight Mint. Check it out. It’s right up your alley here on the precious metal forum.

I absolutely see it and appreciate it. And I think we can all do better. There are lots of brilliant folk out there and I've probably been among the most optimistic on this forum. I'm not quite sure the origins of your comment.

I've never criticized his business. But too bad that boat only sails one direction.

• Options

@jmski52 said:

....your bosses have exactly zero interest in your well-being. Absolutely ZERO. You may be brainwashed now, but I guarantee you that you will wise up sooner - or in some cases, much later.

Have you ever considered that some folk may know a lot more than you think?

• Options
    edited April 14, 2024 11:47PM

@cohodk said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

>

I absolutely see it and appreciate it. And I think we can all do better. There are lots of brilliant folk out there and I've probably been among the most optimistic on this forum. I'm not quite sure the origins of your comment.

I've never criticized his business. But too bad that boat only sails one direction.

You once wrote to me: "just stick to the trinket trade.", and another time: "stop thinking, make trinkets".
    Although trivializing is a slight, I don't really care.

How could someone here criticize your business when you haven't disclosed what it is ?

Financial commentators on the financial news are typically asked where they work and to disclose their positions in the market.
    Not doing so is bad for credibility.

So lay it out there - what is it you do, exactly, for a "living", and what are your positions in the markets ?

• Options

@Overdate said:

@MsMorrisine said:

Can we have a moment of noise when gold reaches $2400 again?

Like now?

• Options

Not yet $2392 for HOD but fell back a bit.....currently 2381. Perhaps tomorrow, perhaps not. RGDS!

• Options

@blitzdude said:
    Not yet $2392 for HOD but fell back a bit.....currently 2381. Perhaps tomorrow, perhaps not. RGDS!

I don't know where you're always looking that's always cheaper but if you're going to dispute the price over a $10-20 difference this thread is going to become useless. The front month contract futures price was over $1400 at the time of my message.

• Options

@ProofCollection said
    The front month contract futures price was over $1400 at the time of my message.

I certainly hope so !!! :D

• Options

@ProofCollection said:

The front month contract futures price was over $1400 at the time of my message.

I think it was 1200 when you started the thread. So it's about doubled in 14 years.

• Options
    edited April 16, 2024 4:04AM

@ProofCollection said:

@blitzdude said:

I don't know where you're always looking that's always cheaper but if you're going to dispute the price over a $10-20 difference this thread is going to become useless. The front month contract futures price was over $1400 at the time of my message.

I use the real world "Spot" price. That is what the peeps at collectors universe use in their daily transactions of buying and selling the metal of kings. You are quoting a forward-looking futures contracts of 100ozt which very few if any at all on this board would ever purchase. Just keeping it real. RGDS!

Edit, I currently have some Au in the mail on the way. I certainly didn't pay the futures price for it. :sunglasses:

• Options

@blitzdude said:

@ProofCollection said:

@blitzdude said:

I use the real world "Spot" price. That is what the peeps at collectors universe use in their daily transactions of buying and selling the metal of kings. You are quoting a forward-looking futures contracts of 100ozt which very few if any at all on this board would ever purchase. Just keeping it real. RGDS!

Edit, I currently have some Au in the mail on the way. I certainly didn't pay the futures price for it. :sunglasses:

The futures price is no less valid and from what I can tell is the price displayed on APMEX. Why would it be any less valid if that's what a buyer and seller are willing to transact just because it's a few weeks out? If we were looking to make a deal that would be one thing, but if it's the price two people are willing to transact at in the near future it's good enough for the purposes here.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

As long as the buyer and seller agree to deal...then deal at the agreed price.
    Any argument with showing charts that are always pointing up?

• Options
    edited April 16, 2024 12:03PM

Apmex uses the futures contract price which is always higher (as long as the market is in contango) because they incorporate that into their pricing when they sell to you. That probably makes it easier for them to manage their hedging operations.

I haven’t looked to figure out if their buying operation is based on the spot market prices, or if it is based on a percentage spread on the near contract futures price.

Either way, it gets confusing, possibly by design, when most people refer to the spot price for private transaction purposes.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

The COMEX futures prices are considered more important because of the greater liquidity. The London Fix used to be the #1 price followed by the NYMEX cash price.

• Options
    edited April 16, 2024 1:20PM

Bought any gold futures contracts lately?

Yeah, me neither.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:

Yeah, me neither.

I trade them from time to time. It's a great way to make money when you see a move coming.

• Options

@jmski52 said:

The institutions and metal professionals use it all the time, ditto oil (Brent, WTI).

They don't care what the local coin shop is charging. :D